West Ham Utd 2-0 Newcastle Utd (02/03/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

OohAahButler
Has liked: 570 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: match thread (3/2)

Post by OohAahButler »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Newcastle Utd
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133323
Their comments seemed mostly fair enough. Interesting that one of them saw us as ‘dirty’ - we always think that other mid table teams muscle us out. Have we toughened up a bit or is it that we watch through claret and blue specs?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Nah, they're just chatting ****. We definitely ain't a 'Dirty' side. Most of our tackling is done cleanly and as honestly as possible. Sometimes the occasional mistimed one happens but compared to some teams I could name who are genuinely dirty, we ain't one of them. If anything, we need to toughen up a bit more, as the Wimbledon game demonstrated.
mushy
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 879 likes

Post by mushy »

But we are good at winning free kicks now, Snodgrass, Noble, Hernandez and Anderson to name but four.
Does this make us dirty? I dont think so.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

mushy wrote:But we are good at winning free kicks now, Snodgrass, Noble, Hernandez and Anderson to name but four.
Does this make us dirty? I dont think so.
I would reserve the term 'dirty' for dangerous football, personally.

On a wider note, though, teams that win free kicks are often those that sometimes don't deserve them.

There is no longer any black and white, on the issue, for me. All teams contain players who know how to win free kicks...there was this absolutely perfect shot of Kane yesterday, being fouled, whilst offside, so that you could see that, as he was in the act of going down, he was looking straight into the eyes of the ref, behind him.

In brief, 'winning' free kicks and being awarded them are linked, but separate issues. And sometimes winning them involves cheating or bending the rules.

And that is dirty, without actually being dangerous...
Kialos
Has liked: 1544 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Hernandez was a penalty all day long, every day of the week.
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Yes the game was a bit mundane, but not every game will be thrill a minute. We scored early and rarely looked in trouble. Newcastle stuck to the same gameplan throughout. Keep nine men behind the ball when not in possession, and hope for a lucky break to nick a goal. A great compliment to us, that they were to scared to come out and attack
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Fair play to the Newcastle United fans comments in the OV, they know they got beaten fair and square.

With regards us winning cheap free kicks, I don't like it, it smacks of gamesmanship, and we have a few players who have perfected the art, Noble and Snodgrass to name just two.

The penalty though was a stonewaller.

Interesting comment from their supporter who thought Rondon needed a poacher alongside him. Hernandez ?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I must have been one of the few then that thought we weren't mundane last night. I saw a lot of excellent work in build up play, as well as defensively. If I had a criticism, it was that we didn't quite capitalise on all the good work in front of goal with a more ruthless attitude to killing them off once for the taking, but felt we more than controlled the game throughout, playing 2 really good halves of football. Had we been more ruthless in front of goal taking the chances we made, we should really have won the game by 4 goals which our play warranted. Loving the free flowing football from back to front on the deck, centred around the Anderson, Lanzini axis in the middle. Everyone else did the jobs asked of them excellently.

I really did enjoy the way we played last night
Last edited by Colours never run on Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

The game did seem about 3 hours long....

More even than the score indicated. Centre backs 100% concentration won us the points as has been the case recently.
hammer_sandwich

Post by hammer_sandwich »

TommyHammer wrote:I swear on my life I think I saw Ben Johnson in the toilet at the game yesterday :lol:
Taking steroids?
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Did anyone notice Nuno lurking in the Barcodes section? Who'd have guessed...

Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

That hush celebration and dance was a mimic of some Geordie bloke on Facebook saying Declan rice we don’t need Declan rice and giving that dance
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Well that was a very professional job by us, never really got out of third gear, only real trouble we got in our CB's made great stops and read the game superbly. Rice yet again imperious in the middle, not the most exciting, but very professional.

Highlight was Billy Bonds, meant so much to him (& us), tear in the eye job that one. Great moment for the great man :crest:
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 256 likes

Post by steps »

:lol:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

steps wrote::lol:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:D
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

arlhe wrote:That Diop tackle, in the six yard box, just before half-time was jaw droppingly good.
it was immense
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

Diop is immense, we have the makings of a solid spine in our team, for the first time in a long time, with Fabianski, Diop & Rice, just need a striker we can rely on now.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

2 pissed up geordies next to me yesterday in the billy bonds stand - they paid £120 for their tickets

they thought rice was superb and better than longstaff, they asked me if they were in a dodgy area of the ground and i said as long as you dont cheer a goal for your team you should be alright - they joined in with bubbles and left before half time
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 164 likes
Total likes: 1112 likes

Post by Rio »

Any official attendance published? Couldn't see on BBC or official site
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: they thought rice was superb and better than longstaff
Glad you said that, I have seen a handful of very bias Geordies online claiming that Longstaff 'controlled the game' and is a much better player than Rice.

Totally opposite if you ask me. Rice 81 touches of the ball compared to just 23 for Longstaff.
Rice won 7 tackles to Longstaff's 1 and also had a dispossession which Longstaff didn't. He won 2 aerial battles to Longstaff's 0, his possession stats were higher and his pass completion % was higher.

Simply put, Rice was just superb. Absolutely bossed it.