West Ham Utd 2-0 Newcastle Utd (02/03/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: match thread (3/2)

Post by S-H »

Was it Longstaff that went in hard and late on Snoddy? And as a result didn't come back on after half time due to injury.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Correct. Was dangerous although he gets a slight benefit over "intent" as I don't think he meant to injure.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I was pretty impressed with Longstaff, excluding him trying to kill snodders...heard a lot about him up to the game. He has great vision on him, but 45 mins wasn't enough time, he looks like he has huge potential though.

Rice appears way in front presently :crest:
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Very professional home performance from us.

Everyone contributed but both centre halves, Rice, Lanzini, Snodders and Chicha were stand outs for me. Honourable mention to both full backs too, been hard on Masuaku but he did well when he came on which was nice to see.

Now lets try to be unlike west ham and win the next two against teams we should be beating.

COYI :scarfer:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

S-H wrote:Was it Longstaff that went in hard and late on Snoddy? And as a result didn't come back on after half time due to injury.

If that's the lad the Geordie's are raving about being better than Rice in the middle of the park, they can think on. I don't doubt he's a good prospect for them, but from the bits and pieces I've seen of him and what I already know of Rice, he's a couple of steps below him in class. That's more the fact of just how good Rice is than his own failings, although Saturday he did a good impression of Oxford playing in the middle rabbit in headlights against Leicester.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

The opposition view, claiming they have a world class manager and we don't, and we only won because we've been backed by the board.

Hilarious.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

thejackhammer wrote:The opposition view, claiming they have a world class manager and we don't, and we only won because we've been backed by the board.

Hilarious.
We've got the best board, you know, don't you know! Well, certainly better than those poor bastards ...
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

thejackhammer wrote:The opposition view, claiming they have a world class manager and we don't, and we only won because we've been backed by the board.

Hilarious.
To be fair, there aren't many boards in the world that ours can possibly be compared favourably to - and their's is one of them.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Ashley's loans are interest-free not at 7%.

Just sayin'
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Another good solid home win for us against a team we're expected to beat. That's unusual for West Ham.

Still, these lot aren't particularly good. I had a fiver on 3-0 before the game, but annoyingly we sat back after half time content with what we had. If we'd shown willing we could have put 4 or 5 past them.

Why do West Ham never go for the jugular when it's there? Is it a mentality thing?
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

sutts07 wrote:Rice 81 touches of the ball compared to just 23 for Longstaff.
Rice won 7 tackles to Longstaff's 1 and also had a dispossession which Longstaff didn't. He won 2 aerial battles to Longstaff's 0, his possession stats were higher and his pass completion % was higher.
And Rice scored 1 - Longstaff 0 :scarfer:
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

"Fair play, Pellegerini did a Rafa on Rafa. Ayoze not physically strong enough at Premier League level and when he decides to take more than 2 touches, can be a liability. At the end of the day it was a world class manager in charge of a team with under-investment against a manager bordering on world class, backed by the owners. Rafa should have taken the west Ham job when given the chance."
- Rexn
:?

Seriously this got me thinking. How many titles/trophies has Pells won compared to the much lauded Rafa?

And is that what makes a good manager?

Mods move this to Pells thread if needed.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

Hilarious.
I have an admiration for Sunderland fans and they have the measure of the barcodes with their 'big club' mentality. . Pell Boy totally outclasses the fat Spanish waiter and only deluded Geordies cannot see that.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

i never understood the calls around here for rafa. didn't understand it before we got bilic and didn't understand it before pellegrini.

he's effective but an arch pragmatist. he would do well at most clubs, but for all the reasons we consider ourselves unique he wouldn't be the right fit for us. you think rafa would have us dancing the ball around little triangles to ole's when we've had 20% possession at man city? no chance.

we don't want a steady hand on the controls, we want a flying circus. even if it means occasionally getting chopped in half by our own propeller.
Last edited by Beavis Danzig on Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Beavis Danzig wrote:i never understood the calls around here for rafa. didn't understand it before we got bilic and didn't understand it before pellegrini.

he's effective but an arch pragmatist. he would do well at most clubs, but for all the reasons we consider ourselves unique he wouldn't be the right fit for us. you think rafa would have us dancing the ball around little triangles to ole's when we've have 20% possession at man city? no chance.

we don't want a steady hand on the controls, we want a flying circus. even if it means occasionally getting chopped in half by our own propeller.
Haha.

Spot on.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Albie Beck wrote:Correct. Was dangerous although he gets a slight benefit over "intent" as I don't think he meant to injure.
In the ground I thought they both went in savagely for a 50 - 50, didn't know which way the freekick was going to go. Having seen it again on the box it was a wild challenge from both, Snoddy got the ball so he gets the free kick, but could easily have gone the other way. Doesn't surprise me that one of them got injured, just glad it wasn't ours.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

S-H wrote:Diop is immense, we have the makings of a solid spine in our team, for the first time in a long time, with Fabianski, Diop & Rice, just need a striker we can rely on now.
Talking at half time we were all saying that defensively we seem to be finally getting organised, players tracked runners far better than previous games and there were several good blocks that snuffed out chances before they came to anything. This, with the understanding and interplay between Lanzini, Anderson and Hernandes, were the really pleasing aspects of our performance for me.
Italian Hammer
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

Watched the game back last night and some of our passing play in the first half, particularly in the first 15 minutes or so before the game was halted several times due to stoppages, was incredible imo. The one and two touch passing between Cresswell, Anderson and Lanzini in particular down the left hand side was a joy to watch.

Echo the sentiments of others regarding our defending. I think we are now much more able to defend crosses/corners. I might have a skewed perspective but the Diop/Balbuena partnership seemed to be weaker in the air, whereas having Ogbonna in there compliments Diop a bit better in that regard.

We also seem to be a more balanced side with Snodgrass on the right. I think it is because he is more likely to put in a pinpoint cross or a layoff. God knows how much we have missed Lanzini this season and what could have been if he,, and some noticeable others such as Yarmalenko etc, had not been injured for months on end.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Balbuena for all his positional sense is pretty useless in the air.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 301 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

It looks like ogbonna has finally played himself back into form. Against Wimbledon he didn't even look like a professional footballer, but in particular recent performances against Liverpool and Newcastle have been superb. Not sure if balbuena gets into the team when back to fitness.