Cardiff City 2-0 West Ham Utd (09/03/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Re: ⚽ Cardiff City v West Ham Utd (9/3)

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

ironilunga wrote:
We have a soft underbelly.
And have done since I started going in 1973!

We just haven't shown up too many times this season against teams below us. That's not being elitist looking down on others but it's a state of mind that we just don't seem to grasp. We are too easily rattled and, as dear old Corporal Jones would say, we don't like it up em

I've never really got the clamour for Jonjo Shelvey but I'm starting to think he might be what we need. If I'd paid money for that shameless gutless performance yesterday I would be asking for a refund.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Monkeybubbles wrote:Speaking of psychowar, I suspect Pellers may have dropped a ricket with his "think like a big team" ploy. It looked like too many players were thinking that a big team could beat Cardiff without getting out of second gear. Once they sensed there was actually a game on, you could see their confidence disappear quicker than Colin's eyebrows.
:thup:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

mattyD wrote:For people moaning about Hernandez's dive - were you complaining last Friday when he won a penalty going down with minimal contact? today he anticipated the foul and didn't get it.... last week he did - not much difference..

So, there's a difference? A small one, granted, but the headline is that he's a cheat.

Hardly an inspiring point for you to make.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

We will beat Huddersfield.

Then all will be forgotten and we will have Pelligrini is great threads.....

The problem is a lot of our fans are happy with that
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

It makes it even more of a mockery that we field a weakened team in the FA cup, the assumption being we are saving players for the league.
It's complete crap.
Patito

Post by Patito »

With the injuries we had at the time, it wasn’t much of a weakened team at all. Quality wise, it should have been more than adequate to progress. The players have to shoulder some of the blame sometimes too.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

What's the beef down in Cardiff, then? Ground looked 2/3 full.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

prophet:marginal wrote:What's the beef down in Cardiff, then? Ground looked 2/3 full.
Rugby we reckoned.

Wales were playing
Graza

Post by Graza »

Graza wrote:On paper we are in decent form, they are in dreadful form, we are pushing for 7th they are circling the relegation plughole, we have a top quality manager they have Colin. However we are West Ham and shooting ourselves in the face when we should be kicking on is pretty much our raison d'etre. We've had the chance 3/4 times this season to build on form and make ourselves comfortable in the top half/at least look at a European place as possible and every time we've played a team in this sort of position we've thrown it away.

I don't know what it is about us, but no matter who is in the dugout, who is on the pitch or what else is going on with the club we lose games like this. Rock up believing we've got the points before a ball is kicked and suffer exactly what we deserve after. It's been worse away from the toilet bowl this season as well.

When everything points to a comfortable West Ham win, that's when it goes to ****. We should win, but I just can't see it.
Me, on page 2 of this thread, while many around were predicting not just wins but handsome wins. A few of us saw this coming though.

Why can't we just be up for these sorts of games? Why can't we just start a half (other than against Newcastle where we actually did start and scored early)? It reminds me of when BFS was in charge and if we were up starting the second half we would come out asleep and negative until we inevitably conceded.

It's such a basic thing, but you have to start games positively, not Brighton against Palace red card challenge hyped up, but not asleep and gifting teams a head start.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Virtually a year ago, Moyes took a team to South Wales and it got battered 4-1.

It too looked like an exciting team on paper (it had Arnie, Lanzini, Hernandez as well), but in reality it had no stomach for a fight and played like it just wanted to come home.

There's something wrong in the preparation, the attitude and the spirit of some of our players on these trips.

Rice desperately needs a partner. The poor ****er's being asked to do the work and the fighting of two/maybe three far too often.

Basic managers like Dyche and Warnock have realised we've got a few softies playing for us.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

The result and performance is just another example of how much additional investment is required in order for us to reach that 'next level'

the money spent over the summer hasn't really scratched the surface. It's given us the squad good enough to not have to battle relegation, but not much more.

We may still get 7th, but realisitically now it'll be 9th/10th or lower. We still need a lot of investment just to consider ourselves to be 7th/8th & that investment needs to come every window, just to maintain that spot.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Firstly I’d just like to say what a man of the match performance from the Cardiff physio. He covered more distance than anybody on the pitch from both sides and at times performed miracles. At one point I even saw him directing traffic telling Cardiff players to go down, such a leader for them.

I said to the lads I went to the game with, the result will be determined on if Cardiff want it or not - that’s a damning indictment on how we’ve performed against teams around and below us this season (particularly away from home). A couple of minutes in and us being sloppy and hassled showed that. The same happened at the start of the 2nd half too to kill the game.

I thought we were in good voice yesterday, and enjoyed shutting down Cardiff’s ironic version of it’s coming home after England’s ‘failure’ last summer (remind me, how did Wales get on?) with our changing of the lyrics to “You’re going down, you’re going down, you’re going, Cardiff’s going down”. I presume with the egg chasing on TV most stayed away as there were lots of empty seats.

Pellegrini though isn’t without criticism. Whilst I understand him keeping the same side which played well and got a good win last week, in hindsight it was a mistake. That said, he had the opportunity to make amendments at half time, and failed to do so. Reading back through this thread and everybody I spoke to at half time and full time all seemed to agree both Arnautovic and Antonio should have come on at half time for Hernandez and one of Snodgrass/Noble - Anderson was poor too but does have a spark, I can only presume he had a knock. Changing the shape didn’t help matters.

Another frustrating away day for this season. I’m away for the next two against Chelsea and Man Utd, I don’t expect I’ll miss much on current away form!
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Not to single out individuals, but yesterday at least might have reminded a few that Lanzini isn’t the messiah despite how much his standing was bumped up during his injury by some. When he’s not at the races, he’s the archetypal West Ham United footballer, & that’s actually quite often.

Also, Snodgrass is & was a great great bench/squad option, but that’s being highlighted by him starting every game. He looks cream crackered and almost every cross and run feels like a fatigued one. The lad has a touch of the Ian Bishops about him, and I just hope his usefulness combined with that fatigue doesn’t result in him becoming the focus of frustrations
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Fair play to Cardiff. They are an awful side but they deserved it yesterday. I thought MP missed a trick by not playing Antonio on the right where he could have got at their LB on the outside - he isn’t technically good enough to play on the left and cut inside. And although I thought Lanzini was very poor, I probably would have left him on and paired him up with Nasri in the middle to try and make something happen.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

e17 wrote:Not to single out individuals, but yesterday at least might have reminded a few that Lanzini isn’t the messiah despite how much his standing was bumped up during his injury by some. When he’s not at the races, he’s the archetypal West Ham United footballer, & that’s actually quite often.
Sadly I agree. I do think he’s a good player but he’s not AS good as many think he is / want him to be. He does some very nice things on the football pitch but I’d love to see him start bossing games and playing well on a consistent basis. A lot have said he was always a better player than Payet but I’m not having that for one minute.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Lets get a moment's consolation by recalling Rice's brilliant run and shot which beat the keeper but hit the post ( Any Link?)

There,he's taken another step to being the complete midfielder.
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

irving boleyn wrote:Lets get a moment's consolation by recalling Rice's brilliant run and shot which beat the keeper but hit the post ( Any Link?)

There,he's taken another step to being the complete midfielder.
That aside, though, that was the worst I've seen from him since the opener against Liverpool.

The commentators mentioned the team arrived just in time to put the team sheets in (an hour before kick off?). Doesn't sound like they got prepared properly.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

e17 wrote:Not to single out individuals, but yesterday at least might have reminded a few that Lanzini isn’t the messiah despite how much his standing was bumped up during his injury by some. When he’s not at the races, he’s the archetypal West Ham United footballer, & that’s actually quite often.
HammerAl wrote:Sadly I agree. I do think he’s a good player but he’s not AS good as many think he is / want him to be. He does some very nice things on the football pitch but I’d love to see him start bossing games and playing well on a consistent basis. A lot have said he was always a better player than Payet but I’m not having that for one minute.
Unfortunately on the early evidence, it's not working with Lanzini and Anderson. It may with time but so far it's not the dream combination some envisaged.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Lanzini is being pushed too far to the left to accommodate the four strung out between the isolated Hernandez and isolated Rice. It's also closing down Anderson and Cresswell's space. They are on top of each other. Noble looks like a fish up a tree.

Play the same team as yesterday but drop Noble in alongside Rice and the space for the first goal closes down, and the space for our attackers to roam opens up.

It's a tactical balls-up. We ultimately created more from open play yesterday than we did in the win against Newcastle after he abandoned it.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

As a creative midfielder, I personally think nasri is better than lanzini. I'd be playing lanzini deeper in a midfield 3 and not part of the forward line. This would naturally work better with another stronger energetic midfielder next to him. The guy we need to desperately sign this summer.

The forward 3 should be three from Anderson, nasri, arnie, hernandez, antonio, and yarmolenko.

Snodgrass would be better utilised as part of the midfield three. He's not effective enough as a creative player from open play.