Cardiff City 2-0 West Ham Utd (09/03/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 772 likes

Re: ⚽ Cardiff City v West Ham Utd (9/3)

Post by Korea Hammer »

Arter stuck to Noble like glue that first half. There was a period after their goal where we started knocking it around quite nicely, but no end product.

There are two sides in every game though, and Cardiff deserved the points. We weren't great, but you win some, you lose some, that's life as a mid-table team, isn't it?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Korea Hammer wrote:
There are two sides in every game though, and Cardiff deserved the points. We weren't great, but you win some, you lose some, that's life as a mid-table team, isn't it?

Indeed.

A team battling for survival vs a team with nothing to play for, unless we were on it 100% there will always be one winner in these fixtures, Southampton beat Spurs yesterday, these results aren't uncommon at this time of year.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

I agree with the above sentiments and with a comment on the page before about throwing the cup game for the league when we all knew this was going to happen. That Wimbledon game is looking more and more a disgrace.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

We did not 'throw' the cup game. We had a perfectly decent and experienced team out that was much better than the opposition. We just played very poorly for 45 minutes and Wimbledon had a once a season performance.
It was extremely disappointig but giant Killings happen every season. It is part and parcel of the cup.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

then it's down to the manager - if we have a team well good enough to win but don't.

it wasn't a lucky 1-0 with a dubious offside or penalty call which did us in at Wimbledon - we got well and truly done over.

like yesterday and too many other times this season. failure to turn up and play has to be down to in part the players but in the main the manager.

while he gets kudos for good performances against the Bin Dippers and Citeh, he has to take the blame for games like Wimbledon and yesterday.

ill suited tactics, ill suited players within a formation and a failure to address those problems early enough to affect the result.
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

Korea Hammer wrote:Arter stuck to Noble like glue that first half. There was a period after their goal where we started knocking it around quite nicely, but no end product.

Bang on.I was at the game and I thought Colin had done his homework on us.They didn't give us a second on the ball and actually thought Cardiff played pretty well and always looked by far the most likely to score at any point.We were horrendously poor but Cardiff were a big reason for that.Just a generally ***** performance from a team with not a great deal to play for.Disappointing but I agree with your sentiment.
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

By the way,this idea that we "threw" the cup game is tedious and stupid.We got beat by a hugely motivated lower division team that had a good night .It's called an upset and it happens.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

People are either wiling to accept being mugged off by a team that couldn't be bothered to motivate themselves to compete and work hard or they are not. Whilst we continue to have that mindset within the club and fan base we will see the sort of performances at Wimbledon and Cardiff.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

bubbles1966 wrote:Virtually a year ago, Moyes took a team to South Wales and it got battered 4-1.

It too looked like an exciting team on paper (it had Arnie, Lanzini, Hernandez as well), but in reality it had no stomach for a fight and played like it just wanted to come home.

There's something wrong in the preparation, the attitude and the spirit of some of our players on these trips.

Rice desperately needs a partner. The poor ****er's being asked to do the work and the fighting of two/maybe three far too often.

Basic managers like Dyche and Warnock have realised we've got a few softies playing for us.

You can also add to that, hardly any of our players can control a football. A sad indictment of men paid umpteen millions of pounds a year and who do this for a living, but is nonetheless, true. Watch the highlights and you will see what I mean
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 772 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Kialos wrote:People are either wiling to accept being mugged off by a team that couldn't be bothered to motivate themselves to compete and work hard or they are not. Whilst we continue to have that mindset within the club and fan base we will see the sort of performances at Wimbledon and Cardiff.
I think we're better off accepting it though, Kialos. We're not Man United, we're always going to have days when we're brilliant and days when we're pony. That's certainly been the case for the 40 years I've been supporting us, and it's hard to think of too many seasons which don't match your description. I mean, we could get angry about it every time we lose to someone below us in the table, but I promise you it's always going to be that way. Acceptance is the first step to inner peace. :thup:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Korea

I don't think anyone gets mad at us losing per se - especially to "lower" level teams. trouble is it's the manner of the losses.

we never seem to learn

you can't just show up and play in this league

plus, with the new manager and the money invested we thought (stupidly I know) that at least we would be prepared.

evidently this year we haven't for too many games for it to be a "one off."

that is what disappoints me more than anything else.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

bubbles1966 wrote:
Basic managers like Dyche and Warnock have realised we've got a few softies playing for us.
Not to mention Warnock,Wally Downes and Hodgson (once he realised what was going on at half time.)

The Brits have had a 'how to beat West Ham' meeting.
Add into this Santos at Wolves, another game we appeared to not turn up for.
We have well and truly been worked out.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Cardiff were the better team by some distance, we are lucky to have Fabianski in goal.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

worse than that, we have landed them the 3 points and/or the impetus to stay up.

another season of them and Neil.

:shock:
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Kialos wrote:People are either wiling to accept being mugged off by a team that couldn't be bothered to motivate themselves to compete and work hard or they are not. Whilst we continue to have that mindset within the club and fan base we will see the sort of performances at Wimbledon and Cardiff.

This. The fan base I think in the main don’t care as much about away games.

Watch on Saturday night the Anderson thread after Huddersfield where the usual suspects on here will tell us how great he is. They don’t go away so to them they aren’t bothered. I hate some of our fans attitude!
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

ludo22 wrote:By the way,this idea that we "threw" the cup game is tedious and stupid.We got beat by a hugely motivated lower division team that had a good night .It's called an upset and it happens.
If we'd have shown the commitment at Wimbledon that we did against Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd and at Man City, it is unlikely that we'd have lost.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Cardiff started the 1st half with energy and aggression which lifted the crowd and earned them a goal
- then they sat back. In the 2nd half, they did exactly the same with similar results.
We don't seem able to compete with teams that play at high intensity.We had no answer to Hoilett
or Murphy.Niasse,although he can't finish,was a constant threat - unlike Cheaterito at the other end.Rice always has too much to do.
Moyes got slated after similar outings but it seems that Pellers is still enjoying his honeymoon period.
I hope for his sake that he gets a good wedge to spend in the summer to steady the ship - such are the
expectations these days.We need upgrades (almost) everywhere. (In fact, although I said "ship" a colander would have been more accurate).
If G&S follow their usual form it will get us a marquee striker and maybe a decent midfielder.After that it
will be down to Husillos's crystal ball and the usual 30+ last-payday merchants and punts on other team's cast-offs like Perez.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

two kinds of motivation

intrinsic

extrinsic

I imagine that we have too many of the latter and not enough of the former.

it's like those people (and there are loads of ex pats here) who think that if they shout loudly enough and slowly enough, suddenly the Spanish speaking (in my case) folks they are talking to will actually begin to understand English.

they won't and don't.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:worse than that, we have landed them the 3 points and/or the impetus to stay up.

another season of them and Colin

:shock:
Fixed it for you
RM10

Post by RM10 »

its West ham DNA, its not going to change.