Cardiff City 2-0 West Ham Utd (09/03/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Re: ⚽ Cardiff City v West Ham Utd (9/3)

Post by arlhe »

Why the constant moaning about Anderson and nothing about Lanzini? Both were ineffective.

I love having both in the team but only one is criticized when they gave an off day.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Marky wrote:Patito, away from home Anderson is a bottle job. Most performances are 6/10 or lower. In 2019 I would say 5/10 or lower.
For his price tag I think we should expect more.

In 2019 yes he's been well off after a superb couple of months. He'll pick it back up again.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

arlhe wrote:Why the constant moaning about Anderson and nothing about Lanzini? Both were ineffective.

I love having both in the team but only one is criticized when they gave an off day.
I think you find, if we had spent £4m on Anderson and not £40m then there would be less criticism, but that's football I guess.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

sendô wrote:This is a game we absolutely should be winning.

Two solid home wins in a row against poor teams that were dispatched with fair efficiency, and a solid game away to the reigning champions in which we were unfortunate not to get something.

Compare to Cardiff who last week were getting stuffed by Watford and generally look poor.

If we want 7th then this is a game we should take maximum points from. Are we going to go all "West Ham" and lose?

Remember Collison against this lot in the playoffs?
Typical West Ham, get ourselves into a decent position and concede two sloppy goals against a team struggling against relegation, and played terrible in the process.

I don't think our players really care for getting to 7th.
S-H

Post by S-H »

I think warp had it spot on. Why would the players put the extra effort in, to have a shorter summer holiday..
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

S-H wrote:I think warp had it spot on. Why would the players put the extra effort in, to have a shorter summer holiday..
So we are now saying that our players are deliberately not putting the effort in so that we lose games.

Even though that means they will a) be hit in the pocket in terms of bonuses and b) make themselves look rubbish thereby negatively impacting their future career prospects?

All for an extra week holiday?

:?
S-H

Post by S-H »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
So we are now saying that our players are deliberately not putting the effort in so that we lose games.

Even though that means they will a) be hit in the pocket in terms of bonuses and b) make themselves look rubbish thereby negatively impacting their future career prospects?

All for an extra week holiday?

:?
No he wasn't saying that... he was clearly joking.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

Still hope they get relegated and stay down! Horrible little Welsh club with a whiny eyebrowless football dinosaur manager.
faubert93
Has liked: 49 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by faubert93 »

One of the most noticeable issues we've had the last few games is our ability to hold the ball up top from clearance or goal kicks.

Antonio was and is our best player for this. A simple but effective outlet to help us build attacks and reduce pressure from regular opposition attacks.

For some reason he has been dropped and we now expect chicharito to do the same job. Antonio has regularly proved this season that he can bring the ball down, hold the man off until supporting players near, and play it off to them. (Or run it down the line)

Arnie has the ability and strength to do this also. But currently we are playing without either player in the starting 11. So we result to lumping it forward to chicharito from goal kicks or clearances.

I don't like chicharito, never have. I don't think he offers enough for a mid-table team that need all 11 men to work hard. He is lazy, doesn't bother to jump, DIVES, and his pace and passing is very poor. He is also too lazy to get back to an onside position. One of the most frustrating things in football.

I genuinely think that starting Arnie and Antonio away from home would change this current form.

Arnie needs to start also because you end up making him more unhappy starting him on the bench. A happy arnie is a better performing arnie. A fed up arnie being asked to come on at 1 or 2 nil down is not going to perform.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

arlhe wrote:Why the constant moaning about Anderson and nothing about Lanzini? Both were ineffective.

I'd probably suggest the difference is that one's been playing for us all season with no lay-off, so should be match sharp, and the other has just recently returned from a 9 month injury lay-off and so is allowed to be a bit rusty.

I thought Cardiff just wanted it more than us at the weekend. They effectively stifled our creativity by stopping Anderson and Lanzini from having time on the ball, and Hernandez was never going to prosper against that defence without through balls coming from behind him. It was notable how we improved with Arnautovic and Antonio on the pitch, and that's for the reasons faubert93 makes above - we could finally put ourselves about a bit against their defence.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

It was notable how we improved with Arnautovic and Antonio on the pitch, and that's for the reasons faubert93 makes above - we could finally put ourselves about a bit against their defence
Totally agree with '93 on that.
I made the point elsewhere that I felt Pellers had made a real error in the staring selection. Arnie and Antonio are our quickest and strongest players and would have been first on the sheet v a rough house hard working team like Cardiff. 4/10 from the manager on Sat.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

As i have said elsewhere, Antonio should be the first attacker on the team sheet IMHO
Then fill the other spots round him
fester
Eats sh*t
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by fester »

sendô wrote: I don't think our players really care for getting to 7th.

I know it sounds ridiculous but I honestly believe this is more down to orders from above. It seems like we really do not want European football. Perhaps it messes up cashflow forecasts? Perhaps payments to the stadium owners are more and that, coupled with travelling expenses in Europe etc, means a slight drop in profits?

I know it sounds stupid but qualifying for Europe twice and then purposely fielding weakened teams was what first made me suspicious. I think we have ambitious owners, but it really doesn't seem to be ambitions for the playing side, just the commercial side. If they could make more money without having kicked a ball it would be seriously considered. Good business. Crap sports.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 417 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Very disappointing result, but so very West Ham.

Arnie and Antonio back in for the next game please. Hernandez has had his chance and hasn't taken it imo. Also i think Anderson could do with a rest. Bench him too.
asters89
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by asters89 »

Gutted we have failed to capitalise on Watford and Wolves both dropping points (Wolves getting a draw at Chelsea is a decent result but factually still 2 points not gained). If 7th looked an ambitious target before, its starting to look out of reach now.

The team looked like they were already on the beach. And its only early March.

Before today I would have said it was harsh to drop Hernandez given that he's been playing pretty well since Arnie threw his strop (even if he's not scored a bucket load). He did himself no favours on Saturday. That dive..... :thdn:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1982 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:As i have said elsewhere, Antonio should be the first attacker on the team sheet IMHO
Then fill the other spots round him
Agreed.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

I know it sounds ridiculous but I honestly believe this is more down to orders from above. It seems like we really do not want European football. Perhaps it messes up cashflow forecasts? Perhaps payments to the stadium owners are more and that, coupled with travelling expenses in Europe etc, means a slight drop in profits?
You are suggesting we deliberately threw a game against a side in deep relegation trouble to avoid going into Europe? If that were provably so we be demoted to the Championship or Div One which would really f*** the cash flow up.
It's nonsense, a lot of our players just aren't good enough week in week out it's as simple as that.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Got what we deserved, no complaints the better team won. Selection, tactics and effort questionable.

Rice the standout once more.

The Cardiff physio did about a months quota of work in a single afternoon. I counted 9 x visits onto the pitch, typical crow face tactics.

Couldn’t see it that clearly as it was down the other end, but it looked to me as if Hernandez purposely swiped out with his leg, on Morrison when the keeper was charging out. That was the start of the hostilities against him. It wasn’t shown on MoTD, my initial reaction was that it was dangerous and sneaky (though he escaped a caution.)

Anyone watching a stream catch it? It looked from distance, as a cowards challenge that caused some aggrevation.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

The Sherriff wrote:Couldn’t see it that clearly as it was down the other end, but it looked to me as if Hernandez purposely swiped out with his leg, on Morrison when the keeper was charging out.
when their player hit their goalie? there was a nudge but it was nothing really, morrison tried to make the most of it. if i remember correctly, there were snodders, morrison and another one of them on the deck in that occasion.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

S-H wrote:No he wasn't saying that... he was clearly joking.
:wink:

but to clarify to the irony-blind people, i don't think players are actually sabotaging themselves, but i'm pretty sure that 7th place is not as big a motivation as safety for the players, and it's not even close.
cardiff came on the field knowing they had to win, anything else wouldn't really cut it.
we went in there like "yea', be nice to win this game wouldn't it? oh f*** they're running!".
and that was it. we could have played three hours and not get a goal.

this is a problem though, plenty of players (and people in general) want to win regardless of the situation, their motivation is to excell every time, as much as they can, even if it isn't strictly necessary in some occasion.
we don't seem to have anyone like that in our ranks, player or manager.