Cardiff City 2-0 West Ham Utd (09/03/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Re: ⚽ Cardiff City v West Ham Utd (9/3)

Post by The Sherriff »

warp wrote: when their player hit their goalie? there was a nudge but it was nothing really, morrison tried to make the most of it. if i remember correctly, there were snodders, morrison and another one of them on the deck in that occasion.
In the 1st half right? looked a bit sneaky, from distance thought he was tad lucky, but haven't seen anything else mentioned.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2355 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

warp wrote: but to clarify to the irony-blind people, i don't think players are actually sabotaging themselves, but i'm pretty sure that 7th place is not as big a motivation as safety for the players, and it's not even close.
cardiff came on the field knowing they had to win, anything else wouldn't really cut it.
we went in there like "yea', be nice to win this game wouldn't it? oh **** they're running!".
and that was it. we could have played three hours and not get a goal.

this is a problem though, plenty of players (and people in general) want to win regardless of the situation, their motivation is to excell every time, as much as they can, even if it isn't strictly necessary in some occasion.
we don't seem to have anyone like that in our ranks, player or manager.
Yep. That is fair.
We have always had a soft underbelly tbf. We are like a poor man's Arsenal

But that is another intangible why the best players are the best players. Not just down to their skill, but these other elements that you cannot measure

This 'superior' innate motivation/ determination to succeed etc means they play better more consistently and thus end up at the better teams
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

Defenders lacking discipline cost big time Saturday why did Cresswell leave his man when there were two others covering the player he went too, ball gets played out right, no Cresswell in sight, Ogbonna makes an attempt to close the fellow down half heartedly, ball gets played in where Ogbonna should have been 1-0, then it looks to me Cresswell points and looks at Ogbonna to say you should have been there.
Second goal Fredericks switches off stands there cursing his luck for just what he did, but stay switched on he looks up then steps up, fellows off side no goal. Really poor in my opinion.
Watch the highlights on the WHU site.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Why didn't Mark Noble as Captain, do anything to get the players playing? Last week, we had the legendary Billy Bonds watching an inspired performance, so do you think had he been on that field captaining that team, he would have just aimlessly strutted around in midfield letting Cardiff take the game to us?
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

peter49uk wrote:Defenders lacking discipline cost big time Saturday why did Cresswell leave his man when there were two others covering the player he went too, ball gets played out right, no Cresswell in sight, Ogbonna makes an attempt to close the fellow down half heartedly, ball gets played in where Ogbonna should have been 1-0, then it looks to me Cresswell points and looks at Ogbonna to say you should have been there.
Second goal Fredericks switches off stands there cursing his luck for just what he did, but stay switched on he looks up then steps up, fellows off side no goal. Really poor in my opinion.
Good lord...Cresswell was right to step, Ogbonna was right to track, and it was a sly run between Fredricks and Diop from Hoilett, with Diop falling to mark Niasse. If anything Fredricks should have been giving a shout/continued with Hoilett and he's the only person you don't kill on that goal. Maybe he did even, sometimes you just get beat.

Probably helps if Snodgrass doesn't lay a ball off to nobody in the first place. On the second goal Snodgrass also puts in zero effort to play Fabianski's ball out, immediately putting the backline under pressure.

Fredricks didn't cover himself in glory with his defensive touch which led to the goal, but I don't think there was much chance he would have recovered in time after making a recovery sprint and getting turned inside and out by Hoilett.

The defense didn't cover itself in glory but our front five were consistently careless, handing the ball over to Camarasa in wide open space with three pacey guys in front of him.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Puff Daddy wrote:Why didn't Mark Noble as Captain, do anything to get the players playing? Last week, we had the legendary Billy Bonds watching an inspired performance, so do you think had he been on that field captaining that team, he would have just aimlessly strutted around in midfield letting Cardiff take the game to us?
Noble, plus Lanzini to a lesser extent, was about the only player looking to come deep to pick the ball up off the centre backs and play some forward passes.
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

Just to clarify, the reason we got knocked out of Europe twice is because Bilic isnt a very good manager.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Quite amazing then he led us to a league finish and progress in the cup that Pellegrini will unlikely be able to in his first season. But yeah, you’re right.
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

ChzMff wrote:Quite amazing then he led us to a league finish and progress in the cup that Pellegrini will unlikely be able to in his first season. But yeah, you’re right.
Swallows, summer etc.

I guess you think of Glenn Roeder as a good manager too then?
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Puff Daddy wrote:Why didn't Mark Noble as Captain, do anything to get the players playing? Last week, we had the legendary Billy Bonds watching an inspired performance, so do you think had he been on that field captaining that team, he would have just aimlessly strutted around in midfield letting Cardiff take the game to us?
I love Noble, but I’ve never been convinced he is an effective captain. When he has an off day, he is actually very quiet on the field as well and shows few leadership skills.

We need a Nolan-type captain who is always barking orders and getting in the ref’s ear, but there’s no one at the club currently who really fits the bill.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

peter49uk wrote:Defenders lacking discipline cost big time Saturday why did Cresswell leave his man when there were two others covering the player he went too, ball gets played out right, no Cresswell in sight, Ogbonna makes an attempt to close the fellow down half heartedly, ball gets played in where Ogbonna should have been 1-0, then it looks to me Cresswell points and looks at Ogbonna to say you should have been there.
Spot on.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Cresswell probably felt compelled to go because the players "covering" Camarasa had been easily beaten by him and Camarasa was driving towards goal. Diop lets Hoilett go in the area, seemingly a choice too.

Fredericks was bizarre, and made three mistakes at least in that goal. Shouldn't have gone down his own channel, shouldn't have been so easily beaten by Hoilett, shouldn't have stood and watched, which ended up keeping Camarasa onside.

However, these were just the poor moments that got punished, and there could have been more. Not only that, but we were awful with our use of the ball all game. Kept it, sure, but that's about all we did.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

I would make Sir Billy director of backside kicking. Let him loose in the dressing room at half time when his services are needed.
sxreject1
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by sxreject1 »

For that dive alone Arnie will replace Hernandez on Saturday and will keep his place till the end of the season if fit.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I should say I haven't watched the game (save for 2 minutes on MOTD) but why is any one surprised by this result? Whenever we were struggling for points at the back end of the season I always hoped for a mid-table team to play. It's just human nature to be that little bit less committed when you don't need to be. Anyone who saw Cardiff in the home game earlier this season could not fail to be impressed by their fighting spirit, forcing the ball over the line to get a goal in the fourth minute of extra time to make the score 3-1. That plus having a diving cheat wasting his time up front for us
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

thejackhammer wrote:Just to clarify, the reason we got knocked out of Europe twice is because Bilic isnt a very good manager.
There might be something in this, much more likely though that neither the manager, nor any of the players have any incentives in their contracts to do anything in any cup. Hence lack of commitment from anyone at the club for any cup competition. Weakened teams and players not really all that bothered is the way we have consistently approached cup matches.