Chelsea 2-0 West Ham Utd (08/04/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Re: ⚽ Chelsea v West Ham Utd: match thread (8/4)

Post by johnnyb »

There are so many deficiencies in our team it's disheartening to say the least. The result of years of poor recruitment and direction of course. I'd happily see at least 7 or 8 of the current squad sent on their way. Nothing will change, except the manager yet again.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Al Fisti wrote: if the absurd story of Nasri is true.
Oh, what's allegedly happened with him?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Would Drinkwater not have offered us a bit more in our midfield than Noble did last night ?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:
Oh, what's allegedly happened with him?
Was preparing to come on, but got injured warming up.

Apparently Antonio was due to start, but also pulled up injured..

The. West. Ham. Way.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Puff Daddy wrote:Would Drinkwater not have offered us a bit more in our midfield than Noble did last night ?
Who knows? He seems to have retired to the front page of today’s Sun.
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:People need to stop equating poor performances simply with lack of effort. It is lazy analysis that lacks effort in itself.
There were many reasons we lost but I didn't see evidence of a lack of effort, we just weren't set up very well and couldn't get any kind of grip on the game.
We are low in confidence that is for sure and that is affecting performances.

Spot on.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

The less Antonio plays, the clearer it becomes we need his energy, ability to carry the ball and ability to tackle back and protect a full back. Snodgrass too to a lesser extent.

Lanzini and Hernandez with Anderson might look sexy on paper or but it’s a pretty fragile set up away to most teams now.
CapBuckyOHare
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by CapBuckyOHare »

From my view in the shed upper the only difference between the two teams was Hazard.

We contained in the first half, went for it in the second half, the away support was amazing

Those that say Rice had a bad game, dont know what you were watching, those that say Noble is past it, did you see the Everton game, Obiang donst care, you can have that, Arnie needs a reset in the summer, Anderson was always going to be a Champagne player, going forward but not tracking back, Lanzini is not long back,

WHERES THE POSITIVITY ON THIS SITE.

Those that call for whole sale changes for next year, did you watch our first 4 games of the season, you cant buy that many players and expect them to gel. LB, ST and CM in the summer, RB in Jan
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I think Pellegrini got a lot of decisions wrong last night.

Set up wrong in the first half and we got trounced everywhere.
Fixed it bringing off Hernandez for Snodgrass.
Broke it again bringing off Noble.
Overall chose a formation that allowed Chelsea too much of the middle of the pitch - neither Noble or Rice could be effective as they were overrun.

Poor from the boss, he didn't give us a chance to really succeed.

On the plus side, if Chelsea hadn't had Hazard last night I don't think they'd have scored more than one goal, if that. Defensively we kept them largely at arms length and stopped attacks either just outside or just inside our third. Hazard was on another level last night and would have had better defences than ours on toast. Cresswell was poor for his second, I thought, but it really doesn't matter - he was just far too good.

So good to have The General back, he looked calm and assured for the most part, and hopefully he can help us at least stop some goals going in at one end.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Great to see Balbuena back, I have to admit that I wasn't really a fan at the start of the season and took some convincing, but he is an absolute rock. I think I prefer Diop in there with him, but can understand the selection of Ogbonna last night.

Fabianski showed his class again. Great keeper, great signing.

I thought Fredericks did OK, nothing special, nothing disastrous, Cresswell on the other side gave them far too much respect from the off though. He looked in awe of Azpilicueta at times.

Rice was like a rabbit in headlights sadly and just not at the races. Maybe playing at his beloved Chelsea was all a bit too much for him to take in but that was one of his most ineffective games.

I'm astounded (but not surprised) to see so many digging out Noble as I thought he was one of the only players who recognised it was a London derby and actually gave it a go. Snodgrass the same once he came on.

Lanzini is clearly some way off his former best, Anderson seems to need good players interacting with him otherwise he is ineffective and Hernandez and Arnautovic were never really in the game.

I think Pellergrini got it wrong again and although I rate him very highly, he needs to learn from his mistakes. I really don't think we can afford so many 'luxury players' (for want of a better phrase) against the top sides in this league. We need a solid three in the middle.

Frustrating performance, Chelsea are a good side, they zip the ball around quickly and Hazard is world class. That said, we were in the game for a very long time and could have nicked something.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

S-H wrote:Was preparing to come on, but got injured warming up.

Apparently Antonio was due to start, but also pulled up injured..

The. West. Ham. Way.
Sheesh. Thanks, S-H.
Surely we won't be giving him, Wilshere and Carroll contract extensions.

Antonio got a shoulder injury a couple of weeks ago, didn't he. I seem to remember seeing him with it all strapped up.

Perhaps Pellegrini is just erring on the side of caution with our fitness now.
rusty Iron

Post by rusty Iron »

Great to have Balbuena back - hopefully alongside Diop next time out.

Noble was the only calm head with an eye for a pass in midfield - should have stayed on, unless his legs were gone?

Did Arnie get a rocket at half time?

Rice out-muscled by RLC

Fredericks & Snodgrass - decent effort

Agree that Lanzini and Anderson is too lightweight for most matches.

+ Nice rendition of 'Couldn't Carry Lampard'
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Loftus-Cheek was excellent and dominated the middle of the park

However, quite how Pelligrinin thought Noble and Rice would be able to match up vs RLC, Kante and Jorginho is anybodies guess!
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

Antonio pulled out yesterday afternoon with a 'dead leg', someone next to me reckoned he must have caught it from his brain.
Nasri was on the pitch at half time warming up with some gentle stretches for a few minutes before disappearing down the tunnel to be replaced by Snodgrass, looked to me like Nasri didnt fancy it.

Nice to see we now have a right back whose distribution is worse then Byrams, that takes some doing to be honest. He can run fast though.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Loftus-Cheek was excellent and dominated the middle of the park

However, quite how Pelligrinin thought Noble and Rice would be able to match up vs RLC, Kante and Jorginho is anybodies guess!
We had quite a simple solution it appeared to me. We just didnt bother marking Kante at all first half and let him roam around at will.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

We focused all our attention on stopping Jorginho first half, Lanzini while not in the game played a blinder marking him, that gave Kante etc more space and time
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

rusty Iron wrote: Did Arnie get a rocket at half time?
Didn't get into it at all when played out wide, was more effective when moved into the middle in place of Hernandez (who just can't play up top on his own - not his style at all).
rusty Iron

Post by rusty Iron »

sutts07 wrote: Did Arnie get a rocket at half time?

Didn't get into it at all when played out wide, was more effective when moved into the middle in place of Hernandez (who just can't play up top on his own - not his style at all).
yeah, good point :thup:
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

We seem to lack intensity from kick off a lot of the time, other teams take this into consideration in there planning, basically they just need to assert themselves/make sure they hit the ground running before we wake up. It can come across that some of our players are lazy or not putting in 100% effort, and I do think it is true of a few players who I won’t name here.
All I ask is 100% effort for 90 minutes, if we play well that’s great, if we lose because of a bit of genius/great goal then fare play to our opponents.
Hazard’s goal was good by him skill wise, but we should of made him work harder for it.
A tackle/block by a CM (Noble) would have helped.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Westbourne Bill wrote:The less Antonio plays, the clearer it becomes we need his energy, ability to carry the ball and ability to tackle back and protect a full back. Snodgrass too to a lesser extent.
I agree. If it had been possible, I would have put Antonio in front of Fredericks (who I thought played reasonably well) and Arnautovic up front from the start.

We were set up strangely.