Man Utd 2-1 West Ham Utd (13/04/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Re: ⚽ Man Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread (13/4)

Post by chigwells finest »

Lots of people laughed at warnock last week , today it was our turn, we should be celebrating 3
Points and we’ve got nothing , I feel utterly sick, fed up and proud of my team all at the same time

Going to avoid all coverage of the game
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Best away crowd this season.
Nick_
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Nick_ »

Thought that was a good performance and a good game. Rice, Noble, Snodgrass, Masuaku, Anderson all good – and I though Lanzini was really starting to play when he went off. Even Ogbonna had a good game!

Thought the decisions were bad and it's extra frustrating when they all went against us. That said, the disallowed goal looked offside to me when watching live and even slowed down and paused I still wasn't 100% sure. So it's frustrating but it happens and I'm not surprised. First penalty very soft but the second was stonewall and I don't buy the offside in the buildup argument.

Ultimately, the bad decisions had an impact but, equally, there were a lot of things in the natural progress of the game that just happened to go against us. I think we were unlucky in all sorts of areas and that's just part of the game I guess.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

I thought that was as good a performance as we have had in years. I was fortunate enough to have the best view in the stadium as I watched the match from right behind their directors box with two Man U fans and a fellow hammer. All 4 of us agreed we played them of the park. I thought all of our players were top notch, except for perhaps Lanzini who made so horrible decisions giving the ball away very cheaply a couple of times, and Chicharito. It really seemed like our players wanted it more, and Noble did a great job leading by example.
Rice and Noble were outstanding, and Masuaku had his best match in a while, but Felipe Anderson was in a different class. His “offside” goal should have counted and he scared them every time he touched the ball.

The first penalty was a farce, no contact and the incident was outside the box, the second was a foul, but there was at least one if not two offsides in the buildup. With VaR it would have been 0-2. It’s incredibly frustrating to come away with nothing, but we were a joy to watch.

A couple of other things stood out, firstly we need an overhaul of our forwards, with a player like Gomez up front we would have scored 4, and secondly our away fans were unreal. Even in the middle of the Sir Bobby Charlton stand you could here them over the home fans all match, even at the end when the home fans sang to celebrate their dodgy victory, you could here bubbles drowning out glory glory man united.
Patito

Post by Patito »

“Man Utd got a bit of luck because of how he (OGS) set the team up” :lol: MOTD

Apart from that little nugget from Danny Murphy, MOTD being fair about our performance, Ian Wright very complimentary.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

chigwells finest wrote:Lots of people laughed at warnock last week , today it was our turn, we should be celebrating 3
Points and we’ve got nothing , I feel utterly sick, fed up and proud of my team all at the same time
:thup:
'Vienna' said on the positivity thread that we were going to do the double over them & in the end, we bloody well should have.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Peaches wrote:you could here bubbles drowning out glory glory man united.
Whenever I hear that, I just think/sing, 'Lucky, lucky Man United'..
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Unfortunately we are unable to play with that ambition and energy every week,so because of that, to all outsiders todays performance is filed under the Plucky category. Which to us feels very harsh but I’m afraid is actually very true.
The difference between players like the ones we have and those top 4 sides have is not just skill or talent, but more importantly the ability to put it all together on a consistent basis.

Arguably our most consistent player this season has been our youngest player. There will be lots of interest in his availability this sumer.
traxop

Post by traxop »

Still thought the biggest difference today is the willingness of our wide players to recycle the ball back into the midfield. A special mention to Masukau, who was willing to round his man in defense to make his own yard of space so he could make that 'next' pass to our midfield to start our attacks.

A far cry from the previous weeks, where we had no option but to just punt it down the line whenever the ball got to our wide men causing us to concede meaningless possession.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Peaches wrote:The first penalty was a farce, no contact and the incident was outside the box,
There was contact, but it was Mata's contact.

Snodgrass lunges for the ball and his leg is ahead of Mata who barges him with his hip. In a separate body movement Mata then jumps in the air with both feet, puts his hands down to break his self-induced "fall", then rolls over in mock-agony.

I took a series of screen shots from a slo-mo replay but don't know how to make those gif things.
If anyone can advise me it might be handy.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: There was contact, but it was Mata's contact.
Snodgrass lunges for the ball and his leg is ahead of Mata who barges him with his hip. In a separate body movement Mata then jumps in the air with both feet, puts his hands down to break his self-induced "fall", then rolls over in mock-agony.
100%
And for those not watching, the 'ref in the studio' said that it wouldn't have even gone to VAR.
So expect the same incompetent bollox next season, even with VAR.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1976 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

seems that iirc, most of the VAR stuff has AIDED the referee to make a call that he hasn't seen rather than overrule him on a decision that he has already made. unless it's an offside call that someone missed. can't remember a penalty taken away from the ref's call. and as discussed earlier mate, what really falls under the "clear and obvious" mantle ? I don't reckon they're going to buzz down to the field and say "hey sunshine, you made an almighty cockup there, it wasn't a pen."

could be wrong there.
mattyD
Has liked: 310 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by mattyD »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:
There was contact, but it was Mata's contact.

I took a series of screen shots from a slo-mo replay but don't know how to make those gif things.
If anyone can advise me it might be handy.
yep - if that's one of our players he probably gets booked for diving. The two feet in the air like he's been cleaned out - pathetic.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Something like that happened in the Burnley match earlier, Cuenc. Honestly, the state of the refereeing we’ve seen again this weekend we have no hope of making VAR work.
goa127
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

On the VAR thing we've seen a wrongly called offside decision reversed earlier this week sowe'd probably got our goal. Apart from that I thought we carried on from where we left off 2nd half against Chelsea, and were desperately unlucky not to win, let alone draw. Antonio's left foot shots are getting closer, he might score with the next one. Only poor performances for me were Hernandez (anonymous as usual when he starts) and Lanzini who just can't seem to find his passing boots. Arnie 'ill' again? :lol:
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

goa127 wrote: Arnie 'ill' again? :lol:
Craig Forrest said he was out with a case of OldTrafforditis
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

goa127 wrote:On the VAR thing we've seen a wrongly called offside decision reversed earlier this week sowe'd probably got our goal. Apart from that I thought we carried on from where we left off 2nd half against Chelsea, and were desperately unlucky not to win, let alone draw. Antonio's left foot shots are getting closer, he might score with the next one. Only poor performances for me were Hernandez (anonymous as usual when he starts) and Lanzini who just can't seem to find his passing boots. Arnie 'ill' again? :lol:
Lanzini set up our goal and I thought looked good. Opinions eh?
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

chigwells finest wrote:Lots of people laughed at warnock last week ,
The difference with Warnock is that he always blames others, especially the officials, for his team’s failings. Sometimes he has some poor decisions go against him, but even if not he’ll have a good moan about something unless his team win. Looking forward to Colin’s relegation.
goa127
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Really good ball from Lanzini for the goal, but very much in contrast to his poor use of the ball before. Failed to deliver on several occasions
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1976 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Chicharito was very good...up top on his own against Smalling and Jones ?

:?

his movement for our goal was great - pulled both CB's towards him. and Anderson was very intelligent to get in behind Rojo who was also watching Chicharito

not sure what some people want