Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by FreeWheeling »

sendô wrote:Bottles of wine. Whose idea was it to put them in 75cl bottles?

It's a bit of a weird amount. I've always found that 75cl is not quite enough for two people to share, but is often a bit more than one person needs.
Well, I be ****ed
I buy a bottle a week, always presumed it was a litre as never looked
just check and yes, the bot I have in the cupboard is 75cl
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

Not always but for the last few weeks on Twitter almost half of the tweets I try to view say 'This tweet is unavailable'. Why is this?
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Ok, I feel that this is a monstrously stupid question but it's ****ing with my head.

Right.

Lightspeed is the universal speed limit and takes roughly 8 mins to travel from the Sun to the Earth.

If I could set up a rope between here and Sun (so 93 million miles long) and arrange it so it was just short of taut (and I mean infinitesimally short of that state) so that to pull it tight from the Earth end took 1 second and pulling it tight was distributed evenly along the rope.

Would someone at the Sun end feel the rope go tight immediately? If they do, aren't you sending a signal along the rope faster than the speed of light?

I appreciate that I have been gone about a year and for this to be my second post after returning is a bit odd. The first being some transbender bashing on the non-binary thread and technically I've only wanted to know this for about 2 weeks.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Warp, Whitey has a question for you.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

White Goodman wrote:Ok, I feel that this is a monstrously stupid question but it's ****ing with my head.

Right.

Lightspeed is the universal speed limit and takes roughly 8 mins to travel from the Sun to the Earth.

If I could set up a rope between here and Sun (so 93 million miles long) and arrange it so it was just short of taut (and I mean infinitesimally short of that state) so that to pull it tight from the Earth end took 1 second and pulling it tight was distributed evenly along the rope.

Would someone at the Sun end feel the rope go tight immediately?.
Being pedantic, the 5,600 degree Celsius temperature on the surface of the sun may affect their ability to feel anything.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

White Goodman wrote:If I could set up a rope between here and Sun (so 93 million miles long) and arrange it so it was just short of taut (and I mean infinitesimally short of that state) so that to pull it tight from the Earth end took 1 second and pulling it tight was distributed evenly along the rope.
Would someone at the Sun end feel the rope go tight immediately? If they do, aren't you sending a signal along the rope faster than the speed of light?
No, the longer the rope, the longer it would take to feel the pull, at the other end & your rope is 93 million miles long! It would take far more than 8 minutes to feel the pull of the rope.
I'll let warp explain the mechanics though..
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

twat...

A complete guess but I think 'Tu' is French for 'You' so maybe those words are derived from 'You x?!#x' ?
Interesting theory, but the French language has very few words that in fact begin with a 'w'; there are some, but not many.

However, older styles of English - which is made up of several languages, such as German, French/Latin, Greek etc - retain the 'tw' as a means of starting a word: twixt, twain etc...
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

White Goodman wrote:Right.

that would require the rope to be almost completely rigid. so basically a stick, and a bloody stiff one at that. in that case, yes, all the atoms of the object would move coherently and instantly.
however, a material of perfect rigidity does not exist and cannot exist, as this would mean that the speed of sound in that material would be infinite, hence faster than the speed of light, which creates some relativistic issues. but i digress...

tension propagates at the speed of sound in that medium, because the interaction between atoms is elastic and when you push the end of a stick what happens is that atoms push on the next ones and so on, taking some time.
basically, whenever you push a stick you compress it and it decompresses by moving the other end. a bit like an earthworm.
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

Why do I always have quite a big p*ss first thing in the morning after waking up in the middle of the night to do one?
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Cos, like me, you're old, and your prostate's gone tits.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

warp wrote:

that would require the rope to be almost completely rigid. so basically a stick, and a bloody stiff one at that. in that case, yes, all the atoms of the object would move coherently and instantly.
however, a material of perfect rigidity does not exist and cannot exist, as this would mean that the speed of sound in that material would be infinite, hence faster than the speed of light, which creates some relativistic issues. but i digress...

tension propagates at the speed of sound in that medium, because the interaction between atoms is elastic and when you push the end of a stick what happens is that atoms push on the next ones and so on, taking some time.
basically, whenever you push a stick you compress it and it decompresses by moving the other end. a bit like an earthworm.
Nice work Sir , thank you :thup:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

I mean no disrespect, but I never knew warp was so smart, I enjoyed reading that. Learning is fun. Thanks warp. :thup:
V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

warp wrote:
however, a material of perfect rigidity does not exist and cannot exist...
Thats not what your mum said about my cock.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

:D
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

warp wrote: that would require the rope to be almost completely rigid. so basically a stick, and a bloody stiff one at that. in that case, yes, all the atoms of the object would move coherently and instantly.

Does anyone on here remember MISA the Millwall site? Nothing like that was ever posted on there........
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

delbert wrote: Does anyone on here remember MISA the Millwall site? Nothing like that was ever posted on there........
:lol:

Used to look occasionally and gape in wonder at what a cesspit it was. It very suddenly vanished. Old Bill I reckon.
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

Wasn't there a bit of a cross over of posters between them and here? I seem to recall a football match as well at one point.
It could be quite funny on there but as you say a lot of it left a bit to be desired.........
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

delbert wrote:Wasn't there a bit of a cross over of posters between them and here?
I did see 'a poster from here' threaten 'a.n. other poster from here' in no uncertain terms, but that must have been 15 years ago. Effin sad when you can recall things like that but not your password on a works computer :P
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

S-H wrote:I mean no disrespect, but I never knew warp was so smart, I enjoyed reading that. Learning is fun. Thanks warp. :thup:
Have to say, I didn't think anyone was going to be able to give me a satisfactory answer but that was most impressive.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Dust caps on car tyre valves:
Is getting dust in your tyres, a major problem?