West Ham Utd 2-2 Leicester City (20/04/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leicester City: match thread (20/04)

Post by wivenhoetim »

Unusually for MOTD Ithought there was some interesting analysis from Jermaine Jenas around Annie. Highlighted his mindset and positioning not being that over a genuine striker.Agreed with every word of it, plays deep, pulls out to the edge of the box rather than attacking crosses or making runs into the six yd box/ near post. Think we really missed Hernandez today. Enjoyed the game though, thought we controlled for long periods with a crazy last 20 mins or so, pretty much end to end stuff. Thought Nobes and Antonio were excellent today, Anderson seemed to play much deeper, high work rate though. A 7/10 performance across the piece. Always more enjoyable match day experience in and around when the sun shines. But as many have already said ..what the f*** was going on with the stop and go today !! Complete ball ache.
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

Knowing us, we'll be putting in offside goals and shots off our arms with VAR all season next year.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Felt bad for Babueba that he was blamed for the first goal. Apart from that, I thought he was excellent. His positioning is far better than any other defender we have and time and time again he was standing in just the right place to cut out balls into the box. Ogbonna really shouldn't have been pressing so high so late into the game. It's those same rushes of blood that cost Diop his place. The likes of Wilshere should have been dropping deep and covering the edge of the box that late in the game.

Antonio had one of his better games but the quality of many of his crosses let him down a bit. Anderson also did a few piss poor crosses that a player of his quality should be doing better with.

The midfield battled well, but they're not capable of keeping it up for a full 90 mins and we don't have the players to replace them. We only have obiang..... Wilshere was the wrong player to bring on but who else did we have?

Perez was surprising good
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

steps wrote: This is how I see it really, I’m not sure how VAR would or could overturn that.
I don't think it will.

However if we have VAR the lino is 100% not putting that flag up; the game will be allowed to run and they'll check it afterwards. The equivalent in cricket is a tight run out - there's no point calling something so tight on the field when the technology is there to (hopefully) get it right thereafter.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Exactly Worcester.
The lino wouldn't flag with VAR and even if he did the referee wouldn't whistle
The trouble I see with it as linesmen will simply stop flagging for offside and so lots of games will be called back once the ball has gone dead. However, I am not sure how many phases of play can be reviewed so you may get the situation where a player is offside and not flagged and then twenty seconds or so later that team scores but it can't be overruled.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Linesman made a mistake. It happens

The performance was more important for me
If it was "a" mistake then fine. But he was consistently wrong and not usually in our favour (though a couple of time his was very wrong in our favour). Antonio being yanked back off the ball by his shirt leading to one of their breakaway chances for instance - it was about 2 yards in front of the man and he couldn't care less. The 6 yard wall, the closing down from walls on the whistle not when the ball is moved.

Also this is the third mistake in 2 games that has been involved in a goal for or against us. There's an unlucky streak and then there's us it would seem.

Performance was good across the board though. I doubted we'd be up for this one and we pleasantly surprised about just how much effort was put in. We've got 3 games left and if we can keep it up (as long as the decisions don't keep denying us) we could definitely be looking at 5-7 points. Which won't get us neat Europe (now) but could at least create a bit of good feeling going into the summer and next season.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Only just seen the highlights

Typical Antonio goal, header against the smaller full back, he must've scored so many of these, teams going with 3 CB's nullifies him
Balbuena maybe should do better but it's great movement from Vardy
Perez does brilliant on that goal, follows the play, reads it and gets the tap-in, simple but superb really
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Unbelievable! just minutes left winning 2-1, just the time we needed to stay calm, steady the game and what does The Manager do bring on a player who has been injured, very little match time under his belt (and it showed) and take off Noble, okay I know some here? for some reason will never see any good in Mark, but this was one big error, as it happened I said are we waving The White Flag of surrender we do not want to Win! and just as expected they walked through us, and I thought they were going to make it even 3!
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

The Old Mile End wrote:Think people might be missing the point regarding the disallowed "goal" and VAR etc.

He scored it after the flag went up and the whistle had been blown. Surely VAR can't and won't change that?

Players should always play to the whistle and stop when it blows. What happens after a whistle has blown is surely beyond the scope of VAR's remit.

I understand that VAR can reverse a decision - but in this case, that decision was, was it offside or not.

As such, the referee did not disallow a goal. He blew for offside before any goal occured. It would be easy for Leicester to argue that once the whistle was blown, their players acted accordingly - albeit the keeper who did try to make a save.
Next year the Referee will not blow the whistle but allow play on for a few seconds. Indeed the Assistant will flag later, which they should do now, but yesterday he was a little over keen and raised it immediately. Its the only way VAR can operate fairly and generally how it operates when it is used elsewhere. Otherwise you are right in that the 'officials' could negate a genuine goal scoring opportunity.
WeallwantMoore

Post by WeallwantMoore »

Decent performance just really frustrating how many balls we put across their goal without anyone even close to getting on the end of any of them...

We really do need a big overall of our strikers this season...
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Something that hasn't been mentioned was how well Masuaku played again.
Yes, he was part of a team defensive error in injury time but I don't remember any howlers, he was very solid and extremely comfortable on the ball.
He is a joy to watch going forward IMHO and he put in some very dangerous crosses.
I still think there is a LB in there who can be improved upon
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Something that hasn't been mentioned was how well Masuaku played again.
Yes, he was part of a team defensive error in injury time but I don't remember any howlers, he was very solid and extremely comfortable on the ball.
He is a joy to watch going forward IMHO and he put in some very dangerous crosses.
Seems to have struggled massively at LB the entire time he’s been here and we’ve needed points, but been outstanding when the crowd aren’t on his back or under as much pressure.

I like Arthur a lot. He’s intrinsically West Ham United :lol: . For good and bad.

Honestly not sure he’ll ever be a LB though!
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

hornsey wrote:Knowing us, we'll be putting in offside goals and shots off our arms with VAR all season next year.
:lol:
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Diogenes wrote: Next year the Referee will not blow the whistle but allow play on for a few seconds. Indeed the Assistant will flag later, which they should do now, but yesterday he was a little over keen and raised it immediately. Its the only way VAR can operate fairly and generally how it operates when it is used elsewhere. Otherwise you are right in that the 'officials' could negate a genuine goal scoring opportunity.
This theory will effectively do away with the job of a linesman though, if they’re going to use VAR to determine offside calls, what point is there in having linos running either side of the pitch?

I think linos will just carry on as normal and a decision will only by referred if the ref gets a message to do so in his ear piece.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Something that hasn't been mentioned was how well Masuaku played again.
He had a decent game. Put some good balls in and benefited from not being targeted. In the games.when he's allowed to get forward and not defend too much he looks good. When we are penned in you see.his weaknesses.

I thought he was a little bit blocked off by Obiang for their late goal, but if he hadn't let the man run off him he could have intervened
Shy Ted
Has liked: 451 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

Antonio lovingly stroking the carpet after his goal. :lol: :lol:
jonnysissons
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by jonnysissons »

Ted
Was in the BML and thought that’s what he did. Hadn’t seen it on here anywhere so wondered if my old eyes had fooled me!
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

Thought the motd analysis was spot on, don’t normally watch it but was interested in it this time, particularly their thoughts on Arnie. He’s not a natural striker and bullies himself into goal scoring positions, when they highlighted his lack of movement it just spelt it out in even bigger letters how much he can’t be ar$ed. Don’t really think he brings much to the team now, I’d be inclined to drop him for the remaining games. Give Perez a few games as a starter, maybe a couple of youngsters too, we’ve nothing to lose
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I tend to agree Steps, but they appear to have outgrown their usefulness anyhow. I agree the standard of Refereeing is dire, however Assistant Referees offer little to know assistance even though they are often better positioned to 'help'. I was an official for a number of years and always had a better game when I was supported by better linesmen who actually helped me rather leaving me to make an educated guess.
Shy Ted
Has liked: 451 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

jonnysissons wrote:Ted
Was in the BML and thought that’s what he did. Hadn’t seen it on here anywhere so wondered if my old eyes had fooled me!
Jonny, I saw it when I watched the highlights on official site:
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... ester-city