Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by eastsider »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:^^^ Of course anything's possible but given their ages, why would the owners have any long term plans for it?

Future owners, assuming by then they own the ground, would already have a 60,000 seater stadium. Why would they play elsewhere for a year or more and spend around half to one billion pounds to build another 60,000 seater stadium on the rubble of the old one? Their return on capital would be minimal at best as the number of paying punters through the gates would be the same. They can only increase prices so much before people say "Enough".
Yeah I get that and make you right in the fairly short term but longer term the OS will need massive investment in itself??
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^ Undoubtedly, and sooner rather than later methinks. The big question is who pays?
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Interesting stat – we only won 3 points fewer at the OS this season than we did during the final season at the Boleyn.
goa127
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Aceface wrote:Interesting stat – we only won 3 points fewer at the OS this season than we did during the final season at the Boleyn.
shows how poor our away form has been
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Interesting stat - I’ve near enough seem every game at the new stadium and the new carpet hasn’t changed a thing.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Aceface wrote:Interesting stat – we only won 3 points fewer at the OS this season than we did during the final season at the Boleyn.
And considering the Liverpool & Leicester stitch ups and we would have beaten it
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we are getting used to the bowl after 3 seasons in it, 96 more to go !
aaronhammer
Has liked: 175 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Who’d have thought it. A stronger season at home on the pitch makes some people start to come round to the stadium...
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

still hate it but it is better now the football isn't so bad.
we still need to get the seats closer
change the white seats to claret ones
have decent bars in a proper concourse
get rid of the stupid slide thing outside
allow local traders into the area
kevino
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by kevino »

Freezing on the concourse yesterday with a howling wind blowing in. No sign of any temporary heaters, or anything close, to try and improve the match day experience for fans....no surprise there I guess
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1149 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

The short, sharp downpour before kick off soaked loads of fans just outside the ground. People with food and drinks all jammed in trying to maximise the protection from the overhang round the stadium.

As someone previously mentioned - it’s much better as a summer stadium.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

aaronhammer wrote:Who’d have thought it. A stronger season at home on the pitch makes some people start to come round to the stadium...
Which was Brady’s point all the time - razzle dazzle
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

Are we really complaining that when it’s cold and windy people get cold and that when it rains people OUTSIDE get wet... :fsake:
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

aaronhammer wrote:Who’d have thought it. A stronger season at home on the pitch makes some people start to come round to the stadium...
How the players adjust to the stadium and how the supporters do have always been two distinctly separate issues. Not sure the latter can ever be fully solved short £200m worth of construction that will never be authorised under this ownership.

The stat above seems to suggest the players might not be troubled by it anymore though. Regardless of where anyone stands on the wisdom of the stadium move that has to be considered a good thing. Because it did look like it might be a permanent, active impediment to the actual play on the pitch at one point.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

just get the seats nearer the pitch and I don't care if it rains snows etc !
used to get soaked enough times inside the boleyn. too many plastics moaning about the weather now |!
the stadium is still ***** but the team is getting better !
Bubbles Murray
Location: 200 miles due north of Mecca ( Bingo Hall, Barking Road )
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Bubbles Murray »

I've hardly bought any food or drink inside the ground in the three seasons there.
Yesterday I hadn't eaten since 06;30am and decided to get a pie before kick-off. Queued up at the nearest kiosk then told "No pies left".
At half-time moved round to the next kiosk and the queues were ridiculous. Could hardly move around that area. I'm in the East Stand and without the outside access and if all the fans who go out for a smoke and more food options had to be inside the concourse it would be absolutely packed,
Anyway, to summarise, the day that I wanted a pie it was nigh on impossible to get a pie.
Thanks Karren.
danm79
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by danm79 »

Blow Bubbles wrote:Are we really complaining that when it’s cold and windy people get cold and that when it rains people OUTSIDE get wet... :fsake:
I don’t think there is anything wrong with expecting a concourse with a roof
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

danm79 wrote:I don’t think there is anything wrong with expecting a concourse with a roof
The concourse has a roof. The outer concourse doesn’t, because it is out(er) side..
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

There's the inner concourse where you enter to your lower tier seats. Where there are pop up bars.
Then there is the outer concourse with the fixed kiosks and toilet blocks and stairs for the upper tier inbetween the two.
Then we have the outer- outside concourse with the club store and extra outdoor event type kiosks.

The outer concourse is cold damp and draughty with gaps in the outer framework. Yes it has a ceiling but is open to the elements and thus uncomfortable. Made worse by the bug exit doors remaining initially for people who cant go two hours without a puff, and now all the extra overpriced eating and drinking joints.
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

Three seasons at the stadium and the only thing I have ever bought inside is two cups of coffee. One was undrinkable, like warm and watery. The other okay. Oh and I once used the reduced beer price offer a season or so back.

Avoid buying and paying over the odds for small underwhelming portions of food by eating before and afterwards elsewhere.

Yesterday I was Hank Marvin after not eating since a quick 6:30am breakfast. Queued at two separate kiosks between approximately 2:30 until just before kick off both had run out of pies. Tried again at half time. All kiosks had way too lengthy slow moving queues. Tried outside and everything simply too expensive. What I couldn't quite understand was how packed the concourses were despite the fact that so many are now outside, smoking, drinking and using the other food and drink outlets.
Not a pleasant experience.