Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Once you stop going, honestly, its probably far less painful than you imagine. More should try it.
Certainly agree with you there, not been to a home game since the final fixture at The Boleyn, and as the years are now starting to march on, I barely give it a second thought now.

Can never see a mass boycott happen, people are too easily swayed by results. Also the mentality of "GSB won't stop me going" it just plays into their hand. As soon as you've put the money over, they couldn't give a toss on your view point.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dail ... inals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another event moved to Spurs stadium over the London stadium. Surely it’s gonna start impacting revenue that isn’t exactly in a healthy State anyway. Who knows they may well go bust, be kind of ironic if it’s Spurs that end up handing us the stadium.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

bubbles500 wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dail ... inals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another event moved to Spurs stadium over the London stadium. Surely it’s gonna start impacting revenue that isn’t exactly in a healthy State anyway. Who knows they may well go bust, be kind of ironic if it’s Spurs that end up handing us the stadium.
Never been held at the LS ... you can't 'lose' what you've never had
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

ive been over there 4 or 5 times this season since giving up my season ticket and i cant say ive missed it much.

the beer tastes crap out of those re-usable cups - far too many tourists there too diluting the atmosphere

on the walk to the stadium i saw a group of 6-8 pissed up lads picking on a red haired girl and took a football off an asian family and booted it off a bridge. i said to them you are the type of mugs that give it the large and when there is trouble brewing youre on your toes, nothing but bullies.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

Went for the first time this year on Saturday. At least with the music and stuff the place was a bit more lively. Sat up in 245 and the view wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be, probably because I was in a corner so could actually tell what was going on down the other end of the pitch. Way too cold to stay for a beer afterwards, that wind was absolutely Baltic. Had a portion of chips that was tiny and expensive (£3.75!). The lovely claret shagpile seems to go someway to making the stadium feel a bit more West Ham. As do the flags and stuff, I suppose. Bit of travel chaos afterwards (one ticket machine working at Stratford).

I mean, it was perfectly fine. Acceptable, not too bad. Not sure I'd want to go every other week again though.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

It certainly was bitter on Saturday Wilkard. My mate calls it the Amstel shake when he shivers having a post match drink if it's a windy day like Saturday! Strangely inside the stadium is very well sheltered from the wind, the bowl shape proves to better shield from the wind than 4 separate stands does. I don't know what it's like down the front though.
CambridgeCityIron

Post by CambridgeCityIron »

Doc H Ball wrote:Some lovely posts on here :thup:

Still trying to convince pop to give it one last go. 70 seasons - makes me sad and angry in equal measure.

It didn't have to be like this. 'All modern football is rubbish' is a cheap excuse for things not having been done properly.

Our Club is run by marketeers not football people. It is not the same at, say, Everton.

The problem is we've been calling each other out. Some, like me, can't move on and look at those that can as somehow complicit and others look at us thinking we are somehow deluded and remoaners. The similarities between our move and Brexit could've been written by some God well versed in our perverse history having a laugh.

If ever a fan base needed a party, it's us.
I have never met you, but it truly breaks my heart reading your posts for you and your family, and for WHUFC. Such a family legacy. I really understand the desire to stop going, but its these days when WHUFC needs us more than ever. We're the frontline that stops the club from being 100% taken away from us and our families. If we dont remain we'll just be replaced with iphone waving bedwetters one by one. And then WHUFC as it was will really be no more

Its us that make WHUFC and its us that need to protect her. COYI
Marlow Vaderman
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Marlow Vaderman »

Its us that make WHUFC and its us that need to protect her. COYI
Well said!
This is what I’ve been banging on about to anyone who’s listening.
Hopefully you’ve heard of, and ideally joined, Hammers United and together we can try and make our voices heard.

West Ham United Football Club does indeed need us more now that ever. I’ve rallied to the call. Will you?
COYI
Together we can make a difference
MV ⚒⚒
Denzil
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 524 likes

Post by Denzil »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:ive been over there 4 or 5 times this season since giving up my season ticket and i cant say ive missed it much.

the beer tastes crap out of those re-usable cups - far too many tourists there too diluting the atmosphere

on the walk to the stadium i saw a group of 6-8 pissed up lads picking on a red haired girl and took a football off an asian family and booted it off a bridge. i said to them you are the type of mugs that give it the large and when there is trouble brewing youre on your toes, nothing but bullies.
The second part is despicable and bang out of order. Well done for saying something.

Re the first point, the beer in LS is just as cr4p as the Boleyn. The beer in the bars around it before and after, however, is a 100-fold improvement. I drink in Hackney Wick now, some great beers on offer round there.
Northbank Bar
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 146 likes

Post by Northbank Bar »

Doc.I so hope you don't pack it in but whether you do or you don't I know you will always speak out against injustice.You and your dad are 2 of the real 'old school' and you would be sorely missed. Hope dad reconsiders.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 657 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Quick note to posters.

This thread exists for people to share their experiences of the LS, good and bad and to debate whether those experiences reflect the wider match day perception.

It's not for insulting each other for having those experiences or belittling those who feel their match day is now ruined because of it.

Debate the issues not the person posting

Thanks

:kumb:
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

The beer in the LS is crap and overpriced or at least it was last season. simple solution don't buy it nor the food.
carpenters is fine for a guiness and some food. also get a bit of the old school music and atmosphere before entering the soul drain bowl !
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

Agree that the Carpenters has a good atmosphere, music blaring and not far to walk....

Just don't buy the beer in the ground...outside isnt too bad and there is a stall that we go that sells "Holey Cluck" burgers, which are expensive but very very nice!

The club really needs to look at what they can do to entice people in....half time cross bar challenge on Saturday was embarrassing...get some Claret and Blue lighting....get rid of the white seats...play some decent music...let off fireworks, or give fans flags to get everyone up off their seats...do what they do at the Baseball and have the big screen show the fans at random and maybe, give away £100 or gift store vouchers to the fan where the camera stops!?...make it an occasion and get everyone involved..look what they do in other sports, in Europe and beyond....its not rocket science...to me, its just penny pinching....!!
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

As soon as flags or those “noisemaker” things are dished out, I’m done with West Ham.
Last edited by wildkard on Tue May 07, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

wildkard wrote:As soon as flags or those “noisemaker” things are dishes out, I’m done with West Ham.
Didn't we get them at the Boleyn?
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

The noisemakers or "clappers" that Leicester have....no thanks....but the flags bit yes please...not for all the game, but as the players come onto the pitch...or something like the Billy Bonds cards that everyone put up...that looked pretty good....

The atmosphere at German football is really good and gets everyone involved... the Frankfurt game against the Rent Boys last week, had the fans all jumping up and down through out...need to breath live in the bowl...
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Doyley72 wrote:The atmosphere at German football is really good and gets everyone involved... the Frankfurt game against the Rent Boys last week, had the fans all jumping up and down through out...need to breath live in the bowl...
The Germans you speak of would be disgusted by the sanitised, club funded efforts you mention on here...
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 757 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Away from KUMB, or any other platform with a vested interest, this post and its replies probably gives a good indication of how the wind lies currently with regards to the fan base and the OS:

https://twitter.com/hammers2468/status/ ... 0500539393
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I wonder how any potential investors would view disenchanted fans?
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1290 likes

Post by davids cross »

Georgee Paris wrote:I wonder how any potential investors would view disenchanted fans?
They hear all the noise....I'm sure.

But whisper it quietly because it's not popular on this thread.

There are loads and loads of fans who are perfectly happy with where they are now......but they'll keep quiet about it..........much like Thatchers vote in the 80s.

They won't shout out loud....or go on forums....or on twitter to make their support public. But there is a big silent majority out there.

Anybody saying anything even mildly positive about the stadium just gets a verbal kicking on this thread. So why should they bother.

We once started a thread about everybody who liked the new stadium............and it was full of replies...happy ones.

This thread is just a lot of the same people going over the same old views. For sure, I'm sure their views are heart felt but I don't think that overall they are particularly representative of all West Ham fans.........though they want you to make it feel like it is...........and if you disagree, your somehow a bit of a wrong un.

It's why I don't post much.......doesn't feel right or representative .........on this matter.

I remember UTJ.....once mentioning he knows lots of people who are reasonably happy with the stadium......as do I. But not all go on the internet to express it...........indeed most don;t.