what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by RichieRiv »

Crawley Iron wrote:
The George Inn Southwark[/b]
Well-known for being owned by the National Trust and for being the only remaining galleried inn in London, it’s well worth a visit for its history. There’s a large courtyard with tables and benches which catches the sun at lunchtime, so I would imagine it’s very popular on warmer days – on Saturday there appeared to be quite a high proportion of foreign tourists visiting. The pub is run by Greene King, which doesn’t normally give me a great feeling, but the Southwark Brewing London Pale Ale was very pleasant, not too hoppy for my tastes. 8/10

One of my favourite pubs, mainly because of the history - another pub reputed to have Charles Dickens as a regular. When in that neck of the woods, you may also want to check out The Anchor at Bankside. Apparently Samuel Peeps watched London burn from there. One to swerve is The Old Kings Head, especially when Millwall are playing at home. It's alway snowing in there.

Today we headed down the Leigh. As I was driving I could only have a pint of Ghost Ship in The Crooked Billet, with the obligatory cockles.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

Richie,
The Old Kings Head is easily the best old school pub in the area (my opinion of course).
As for Charles Dickens and Samuel Pepys.....
Yeh, right .
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

If you like sticking it up your nose then thats up to you.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

Crawley Iron wrote: The George Inn Southwark[/b]
Well-known for being owned by the National Trust and for being the only remaining galleried inn in London, it’s well worth a visit for its history. There’s a large courtyard with tables and benches which catches the sun at lunchtime, so I would imagine it’s very popular on warmer days – on Saturday there appeared to be quite a high proportion of foreign tourists visiting. The pub is run by Greene King, which doesn’t normally give me a great feeling, but the Southwark Brewing London Pale Ale was very pleasant, not too hoppy for my tastes. 8/10

I spent many a Friday lunchtime/afternoon in that courtyard getting sozzled during my apprenticeship years. A nice place to sit and enjoy a few beers.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

RichieRiv wrote:If you like sticking it up your nose then thats up to you.
Never seen that happen in there (of course what happens in the toilets I have no knowledge of).
I do know that Greg the guvner bans anyone he thinks are partaking though.
Never thought it was a problem in that pub to be honest .
The Blue Eyed Maid and The George though.........
sendô

Post by sendô »

mushy wrote: The Blue Eyed Maid
Another pub I spent a lot of time in as an apprentice.

We got bladdered in there once and one of the younger lads took a full on tumble down the stairs to the toilets, full on arse over tit rolly polly. :lol:
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Royal Oak in Borough another fantastic pub if you're prepared for a 5 minute walk from the George!
sendô

Post by sendô »

^ Used to do good food too, nice pub as I recall.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

The Fox Inn, Finchingfield, Essex.

Characterful pub in one of the most picturesque villages in all Essex (though a touch overrun with motorcyclists). This place oozes charm with the oak beamed low ceilings, large open fireplace and a view over the duck pond, village green and ancient church. Biscuit tin England.

Staff were welcoming and did pre-warn that food service would be a bit slow. Tried the local golden ale which was nutty and smooth, my lunch of steak and ale pie with seasonal veg seemed expensive but turned out worth every penny...gorgeous flaky pastry holding beef chunks in a thick gravy. Both hit the spot and got my legs well refuelled for the return cycle to the station.

8/10, worth a visit for the surroundings alone.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Royal Oak in Borough another fantastic pub if you're prepared for a 5 minute walk from the George!
If you are prepared to walk away from the George (and why not, horrible tourist trap IMHO) then you may as well go to the King’s Arms. Just off the beaten track and a quiet afternoon pint guaranteed. Owned by the previous landlady of the White Hart, just along Southwark Street a bit.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Tommy Flowers, Poplar E14 - Popped in for a pint of their lovely draft Czech Budvar. It was some what pricey ( £4.50). and it was lovely to find no coke heads in the pub. That said it was full of Czech visitors having a party and they were well pissed when we got there. One pint and we were gone - atmosphere was nice, but very raucous for a little pub that's like your living room. 7/10

The Beehive, Bromley by Bow - Went there to see a band but we decided to have a chat instead in the outside bar. Sorta glad we didn't see the band as we could hear it was Celtic Irish rap type stuff. Not our cup of tea. Loud but welcoming and decent locals. Guinness went down a treat. Tiny but very clean bogs. Reasonable prices - 3 points and a vodka and coke for about £12 ish. Lovely, friendly and helpful bar staff too. 8/10

Heidi's, Mare Street, Hackney. I'm lead to believe that this is a new-ish "rock" bar that's opened up. It's all decked out in black, the small but functional bar had only two women serving and despite the place being half empty they couldn't cope. It's free in - which is a bonus - but drinks are about £5.50 upwards a drink with three drinks coming in close to £17+ quid. It began to pack out a bit but we left about 1 pm because of the music. The three of us that went are all rock fans and we like a bunch of other stuff. My mate and his mate go to gigs at least 3 times a week and really like a wide range of stuff, but we all agreed that the DJ was playing a lot of self indulgent, unknown, prog tosh. I could make out one song - a Deep Purple Mark 3 track - but it sounded like it was a bootleg and the sound quality was dreadful. The three of us struggled to name more, and we're quite knowledgeable about music. Dreadful. Bar staff were really unhelpful too. We are not going back. 3/10.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

WHU Independent wrote:Heidi's, Mare Street, Hackney. I'm lead to believe that this is a new-ish "rock" bar that's opened up. It's all decked out in black, the small but functional bar had only two women serving and despite the place being half empty they couldn't cope. It's free in - which is a bonus - but drinks are about £5.50 upwards a drink with three drinks coming in close to £17+ quid. It began to pack out a bit but we left about 1 pm because of the music. The three of us that went are all rock fans and we like a bunch of other stuff. My mate and his mate go to gigs at least 3 times a week and really like a wide range of stuff, but we all agreed that the DJ was playing a lot of self indulgent, unknown, prog tosh. I could make out one song - a Deep Purple Mark 3 track - but it sounded like it was a bootleg and the sound quality was dreadful. The three of us struggled to name more, and we're quite knowledgeable about music. Dreadful. Bar staff were really unhelpful too. We are not going back. 3/10.
Are you sure you don't mean "Helgi's" ? That's on Mare Street and it's owned by a mate of mine who used to work in the BIg Red in Holloway. There's a venue out the back (or she was getting it built last time I was there). Unusual to read your review, she usually runs a tight ship and doesn't suffer fools who work for her. She was lethal in the Big Red and would sack people if they weren't up to the job with no hesitation. Haven't been there in year so don't know what it's like.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Junco Partner wrote:The Fox Inn, Finchingfield, Essex.

Characterful pub in one of the most picturesque villages in all Essex (though a touch overrun with motorcyclists). This place oozes charm with the oak beamed low ceilings, large open fireplace and a view over the duck pond, village green and ancient church. Biscuit tin England.

Staff were welcoming and did pre-warn that food service would be a bit slow. Tried the local golden ale which was nutty and smooth, my lunch of steak and ale pie with seasonal veg seemed expensive but turned out worth every penny...gorgeous flaky pastry holding beef chunks in a thick gravy. Both hit the spot and got my legs well refuelled for the return cycle to the station.

My mate got married around the corner from there, we spent a couple of hours in The Fox trying to talk him out of it :lol:
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

The Occasional Half , Green Lanes,N13

Was in here last night
Its just had a refurb and very nice it is to.
Loads of screens ,so going for a football crowd me thinks.
Was drinking London tap from the New River Brewery in Hoddesdon, Herts
Cracking pint,a really refreshing light ale.Will be a great drink in the hot weather. 8/10
tall paul
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by tall paul »

Junco Partner wrote:The Fox Inn, Finchingfield, Essex.

The lion just up the hill from there is a great pub, decent beer and food
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Cycled up past it on the way out of town, before turning right after the church....anywhere advertising cask ales and live jazz looks good in my book...significantly less motorcyclists too.

I'll pencil it in for next time :thup:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

RichieRiv wrote:
One of my favourite pubs, mainly because of the history - another pub reputed to have Charles Dickens as a regular. When in that neck of the woods, you may also want to check out The Anchor at Bankside. Apparently Samuel Peeps watched London burn from there. One to swerve is The Old Kings Head, especially when Millwall are playing at home. It's alway snowing in there.

Today we headed down the Leigh. As I was driving I could only have a pint of Ghost Ship in The Crooked Billet, with the obligatory cockles.
Despite me not having had a drink in 11 years I still love pubs and that looks like something pretty special .

Speaking of Charles Dickens - when I was a youngster I used to frequent ' The Ship Inn ' at Red Wharf Bay , Anglesey - on the lounge wall was a framed Menu written out by the great man himself when he came up to report on ' The Royal Charter ' disaster off Moelfre in 1859 [ The Uncommercial Traveller ] -

I took my family to ' The Ship ' two years ago while we were on holiday visiting my family - I asked the owner ' where's the Charles Dickens ' menu -

'' Someone stole it '' came the reply .

That Menu had been on the wall as long as I could remember .
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Rich Mix Centre, Bethnal Green, London E2.

Went there to see Radical Dance Faction ( reasonable) and Youth from Killing Joke plus Jah Wobble, Mark Stewart and two other bassists supported by horns. guitar and drums, launch their single "A Very British Coup" and then perform an hour long dub session which was marvellous. Top night all round.

and £5.00 a pint in a club for a pint of cider was a bonus. No real draft ales to speak of but lots of locally brewed beer in bottles at £4.50 a pop. Big Red Stripe Can's were £5.00, wine £4.50 a medium sized glass. Service was great, they sound in the venue amazing and the door staff were really friendly.

A one off experience that didn't cost the earth, in a tiny venue, which is bloody good nowadays. I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Final made a trip to The Grenadier SW1

We had a couple of pints of their own beer surprisingly called Grenadier, the missus had a half as she does

These were served in old school tradiational jugs and you don't often see a half one nowdays, which we commented on. Upon which the landlord gave the wife the one to keep which I think she'll be taking into our local to impressive with !!

Pub wasn't too busy and a Candian couple came in and the lady had worked in the pub 42yrs ago and lived upstairs.

Best way there is via Old Barrack Yard,

Kings Arms Roupell Street SE1

Been in myself a few times but took the missus in can't remember what the drink was other than a light coloured ale !

Sunday afternoon very quite and chatted to a couple of fellas, one of whom had a pug type dog which was too friendly ! GET OFF !
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Pop Robson wrote:Final made a trip to The Grenadier SW1

We had a couple of pints of their own beer surprisingly called Grenadier, the missus had a half as she does

These were served in old school tradiational jugs and you don't often see a half one nowdays, which we commented on. Upon which the landlord gave the wife the one to keep which I think she'll be taking into our local to impressive with !!

Pub wasn't too busy and a Candian couple came in and the lady had worked in the pub 42yrs ago and lived upstairs.

Best way there is via Old Barrack Yard,

!
I work just up the road,so have been in here a good few times.Did you stand on whats left the Duke of wellingtons mounting block? The pub was used as a mess by him and his staff officers before going off to fight the peninsular wars.
Decent pub,can gets very busy.