The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

umweb
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by umweb »

contrary to a lot of opinion on here it's been a good season of improvement - not only increasing our points total by a decent amount but GD as well. next season we need to work on consistency which I think will happen with less changes rather than more.

besides keeping rice, we generally need 3 upgrades at LB (cresswell), CM (obiang) and CF (arnautovic).

everything else is quite minor after that as long as the focus is keeping the right players to balance out the squad.

the budget should be focused on improving our first team, not buying even more average players that don't improve us.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Does Hugill have a £1m release clause ?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

IF he's brought in to replace Sanchez, then I wouldn't mind Medel signing. I know he doesn't appear to be a very popular choice on here but I think he's a much better player than Sanchez and offers a lot more steel. Sanchez mainly jogs around in a defensive position without actually doing much.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Southampton plot £30m bid for Fulham star Aleksandar Mitrovic - EXCLUSIVE
Saints manager Ralph Hasenhuttl is planning a major revamp of his squad after steering them to Premier League safety this season – and big, aggressive goalscoring centre forward is one of his targets.

Mitrovic has netted 11 goals this season in a struggling team as Fulham were relegated from the Premier League, and the Serb, despite the prospect of a new deal being offered by the club, looks set to leave Craven Cottage, with West Ham also interested, as well as several Chinese Super League clubs.

Saints will make Danny Ings’ loan signing from Liverpool permanent this summer for an £18 million fee, but Charlie Austin has struggled for fitness, and fellow striker Shane Long has scored only five goals this season.
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... Hasenhuttl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Every norwegian newspaper and their aunt claim Solskjær is going for Rice this summer
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Burnley Hammer wrote:IF he's brought in to replace Sanchez, then I wouldn't mind Medel signing. I know he doesn't appear to be a very popular choice on here but I think he's a much better player than Sanchez and offers a lot more steel. Sanchez mainly jogs around in a defensive position without actually doing much.
Absolutely nothing, zip, zilch justifies signing Medel over Sanchez. It's still the same problem. Another aging player that will put us in the same predicament the next summer or 2 when we will need to sign another one. And IF god forbid Rice leaves in either this window or the next having just an aging midfielder to come in for him isn't exactly the best position to be in.

Just go in for a young gem from abroad, or someone like Isaac Hayden who is a lot younger (24), will be on cheaper wages, more likely to stick around for longer, oh and would take a bit of weight off our shoulders should we lose Rice. :thup:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

funky chicken wrote: Absolutely nothing, zip, zilch justifies signing Medel over Sanchez. It's still the same problem. Another aging player that will put us in the same predicament the next summer or 2 when we will need to sign another one. And IF god forbid Rice leaves in either this window or the next having just an aging midfielder to come in for him isn't exactly the best position to be in.

Just go in for a young gem from abroad, or someone like Isaac Hayden who is a lot younger (24), will be on cheaper wages, more likely to stick around for longer, oh and would take a bit of weight off our shoulders should we lose Rice. :thup:
Two different situations there though that will have different solutions. The likes of Sanchez or Medel are players that can temporarily stand in for Rice should he be injured, or they're maybe experienced players to bring on near the end of a match to close the game out. The justification is simply that Medel is better than Sanchez (imo). I'd go as far as saying much better.

Losing Rice to another team on the other hand... I'd be surprised if Pellegrini hasn't already sounded out players that could replace him. That would be the wise thing to do. You never know what might happen. If we sell Rice then it won't be Medel that's replacing him. Medel would still be backup to whichever other player we brought in as Rices replacement.

As it stands, we have limited funds and a big chunk of it looks to be going on a bid for Gomez. As much as I'd love us to sign Hayden, how much is he going to cost? English, highly rated, young... Can we justify spending such a big chunk of the remaining funds on a backup player?

The mistake we made with Sanchez wasn't that he was ageing... it was that he wasn't very good (again imo)
Patito

Post by Patito »

Puff Daddy wrote:Does Hugill have a £1m release clause ?
I don't think he has one at all. I actually reckon we will get a few million for him this summer.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

14 players over 30 in our first team, how on earth can we ever expect to build a decent team when we keep buying old lags & crocks. It chokes me to say it but Spuds have not bought a player over 26 in 3 years, except for Llorente who was a back up, and have the lowest player turnover in the Prem.

If anyone thinks we can produce top 6 team on a low budget in 1 or even 2 years with old players, dream on. I’ve always thought that promoting an academy player is far better than buying a less than average lag like Sanchez. Lower wages, no ego, hungry and can be sold for fair money if no good. I’d be happy to draft in Holland, Cullen, Sanchez, Byram, Coventry & Silva and buy 3 decent £20m+ players. I’m not saying it will work but the old lag & crock system is getting us nowhere but a dead end every year. Young foreign players will also see that they will get a chance and want to join. What can be worse for an aspiring academy player to see the likes Sanchez arrive on 10 times his salary who is probably no better and bringing no future to the club. Ok he has experience but how can a young player get experience if he doesn’t play ffs. Loaning out rarely works as playing with crap players in a hacking league with awful coaches does nothing to bring a player on.
Last edited by Hamburger on Thu May 09, 2019 11:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Universidad-de-Chile wrote:So, I begin:

West Ham is behind this polish Keeper: Bartłomiej Drągowski
I was listening to a podcast this morning and they said his performance against Atalanta recently was ridiculous. 0-0 draw, Atalanta had 47 shots, 18 on target, 6.03 xG, and he kept them out. A perfect 10 on WhoScored, which I doubt many keepers have ever had.

I'm going to throw a name out there which I don't think I've seen mentioned or linked with anyone this summer - Teji Savanier. Having an incredible season as central midfielder for Nimes, 6 goals and 13 assists from deep while keeping up 3 tackles, 1.9 interceptions, 2.6 key passes and 2.4 dribbles.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Hamburger wrote:14 players over 30 in our first team, how on earth can we ever expect to build a decent team when we keep buying old lags & crocks.
The vast majority of players we've been linked with so far have been in their early or mid twenties.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Transfer Window Thread Bingo:

Jokes about Eidur Gudjohnsen - Tick

Someone explaining how the Spanish transfer system works to Puff - Tick

Still to find:-

3 lists per day by Hammerman -

Someone desperately asking for information from Jinxed -

Someone slagging off Jinxed for giving said information -

Bristol losing his **** with someone about something weird -

Someone getting Maxi Lopez and Maxi Gomez confused -

Someone getting Papa Gueye and Old Papa Gueye mixed up -

Jokes about 'Is it part of the Carrick deal'? -

Markers at the ready folks, and may I please be the first to say - 'Exciting times, gentlemen' and please do remember to 'Stand by your beds'.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I appreciate you looking to add perspective, Pats, but we also get linked with many an older player and we have too many as it is, as well as our history of bringing them in, so it’s right for people to be critical and worried.

On the midfield, we should be buying Rice’s replacement now. He’s going to go in one of the next three summers, we get a player who is ready to be there when he’s gone and we get maybe a year with the two of them together, maybe even convincing Declan to stay longer.

Show some intelligence, show some balls.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Wilks :thup: I think that by the end of this window, the average age will have dropped a fair bit.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Turns to Stone wrote:Transfer Window Thread Bingo:
Amazing Scenes will be Like A New Signing.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Turns to Stone wrote:Transfer Window Thread Bingo:
Don't forget the mention of a Sully special.

Another team signing a player, and people claiming "we should've been all over that"

"Just pay the money"

"Diamond encrusted panthers"

"Working tirelessly"
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

And the old favourite

"Not exactly next level"
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:And the old favourite

"Not exactly next level"

:lol:

"lazy journalism"

"please god no"
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote:
The mistake we made with Sanchez wasn't that he was ageing... it was that he wasn't very good (again imo)
I think Carlos Sanchez will prove to be a very important squad player this season
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

"Tammy Abrahams £5m"