The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

TommyHammer
Has liked: 100 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by TommyHammer »

I just hope this transfer window is the transition into a long term sensible transfer policy that doesn't involve desperate panic buys or Sully specials.
Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

TommyHammer wrote:I just hope this transfer window is the transition into a long term sensible transfer policy that doesn't involve desperate panic buys or Sully specials.
You could argue last summer was the transition.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

This is the big window for all concerned.

I don't want old or injury prone players here for a year or so. medel cahill cech wellbeck Sturridge etc

We have an old squad that desperately needs good younger players . we do not want to be in the same position next season and thereafter.

after next season we will need to replace noble Snodgrass sanchez ogbonna zabaleta as they will all be 32 or more.

I am assuming this summer we get rid of carroll Hernandez

we need young players for some continuity as well.
we are not a retirement home for old players after one last payday.
we have enough older types !

pope,bentley 25 years
kouris 23
maripan 24
hayden 24
gomez 22
abrahams 22

These or similar are what we should be buying with a view to at least 5 years good service in them. If they fail at least we have a chance to sell them on. no chance with the old boys !
Patito

Post by Patito »

Universidad-de-Chile wrote:
Cmon, wre talking about CURRENT players.

Nasri was only 4 months there, and on loan.

Medel was bought by Sevilla.

Not that it matters but it was a season long loan.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Universidad-de-Chile wrote:
Thats totally WRONG.

Just look at his stats.

Hes been NEVER injured mopre than a 3-4 weeks, or so.

Just google a bit, mate, to make such an afirmation, please!

Hes been even one of the most consistent players in the Chilean Natiional Team even....
Actually it’s NOT WRONG.

On your recommendation I googled and there have been a few instances where he’s been out for 3+ weeks including a knee operation back in 2016/17.

He is also currently out injured...
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

nasri is too old and injury prone , I forgot him !
Patito

Post by Patito »

Universidad-de-Chile wrote:So, its enough, I dont want to discuss with no one anymore about that, and If you dont like the player or you have your opinion about him, I will not reply, thats my stand.

I just like him, and was really disapointed we did not sign him on the winter window, but I wish we could this time. But thats only me and my humble opinion.

We know you like him. You don’t need to take it personally when people question whether a 31 year old who’s currently out injured and looked terrible in their one short stint in this league is the right signing for us this summer.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

we all have opinions on players that is part of football. I have many players and lists which some agree and some don't. its part of the beautiful game.

personally an injury prone 31 year old playing in a lower league who was awful in the premier league a few years back is not the answer. The question is would anyone else around us want him \?
Leicester Watford everton palace Bournemouth ? no so why should we take inferior players ?

personally would rather take a 24 year old hayden who is doing it for Newcastle now than medel. I appreciate we will have to pay more for him , but you get more as well !
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I thought Medel was highly rated by Cardiff fans at the time?
Hamburger
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 444 likes

Post by Hamburger »

hammerman11 wrote:This is the big window for all concerned.

I don't want old or injury prone players here for a year or so. medel cahill cech wellbeck Sturridge etc

We have an old squad that desperately needs good younger players . we do not want to be in the same position next season and thereafter.

after next season we will need to replace noble Snodgrass sanchez ogbonna zabaleta as they will all be 32 or more.

I am assuming this summer we get rid of carroll Hernandez

we need young players for some continuity as well.
we are not a retirement home for old players after one last payday.

:thup:
we have enough older types !

pope,bentley 25 years
kouris 23
maripan 24
hayden 24
gomez 22
abrahams 22

These or similar are what we should be buying with a view to at least 5 years good service in them. If they fail at least we have a chance to sell them on. no chance with the old boys !
Patito

Post by Patito »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I thought Medel was highly rated by Cardiff fans at the time?

Was he? They bought him for £11million, finished bottom of the league then sold him for £10million so he can't have done that well for them.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I thought Medel was highly rated by Cardiff fans at the time?
Those two Superclassico goals were only four years in the past at that stage so they thought they were onto a sure thing :wink:
Hammer83
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

Patito wrote:Was he? They bought him for £11million, finished bottom of the league then sold him for £10million so he can't have done that well for them.

Well he couldn’t have done bad as he left Cardiff for Inter Milan which is a significant upgrade in anyone’s books.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

All this arguing over Gary ****ing Medel

Last edited by S-H on Fri May 10, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

May I state the obvious, when talking about injuries?

:)

An older body, who has been through years of playing professional football at the highest level, has a higher risk of picking up injuries, than the same body when younger.

The Premier League is a very fast league, thereby putting more emphasis on the physical side, compared to many foreign leagues.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

szola wrote:May I state the obvious, when talking about injuries?

:)

An older body, who has been through years of playing professional football at the highest level, has a higher risk of picking up injuries, than the same body when younger.

The Premier League is a very fast league, thereby putting more emphasis on the physical side, compared to many foreign leagues.
Age doesn't matter when you sign a contract with West Ham. You are basically signing your body over for medical research purposes.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Further research suggests that he had an excellent first half of the season at Cardiff - probably their most important player. He then seemed to fade after Christmas and looked a bit leggy - possibly not used to the number of high intensity games in the Premier League without a break. It was suggested that when Medel played well, Cardiff played well. On the other hand, he may have just become fed up in a poor Cardiff side destined for relegation. He made no secret of his desire to leave at the end of the season.

Anyway, I feel bad that Universidad-de-Chile is the only member of the Gary Medel fan club so I'm joining too (so long as he's a replacement for Sanchez). Signing one 31 year old doesn't mean we can't get the average age of the squad down... there are still a lot of younger players we're interested in.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Medel is finished like Sanchez, as both Chileans, they have averaged both averages tons of game a season at a high level domestically and internationally from a young age. Most noticeably think it was two/three Copa America's back to back giving the body no rest at all.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

S-H wrote:Age doesn't matter when you sign a contract with West Ham. You are basically signing your body over for medical research purposes.
Too true!

Yarmolenko, Wilshere, Lanzini all under 30.

And our oldest player has probably been one of the most reliable in terms of injuries.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Medel is currently out injured. Surely we won't be signing him whilst he is currently injured anyway?