Watford 1-4 West Ham Utd (12/05/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Re: ⚽ Watford v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by goa127 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:said it in the Antonio thread but having watched MOTD he went down too easily for the penalty. would rather he didn't do that
Watched Chelsea v Leicester on motd and vardy is clearly pushed as he's about to shoot. What happens? The ref does nothing. We all complain at players going down too easily but until refs give penalties for an obvious foul when the player tries to stay up it's not gonna stop. While I'm talking about refs, how was that not a backpass to the Man City keeper?
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Antonio's was a pen, he fell theatrically but the guy shoved him over, blatent pen. Also definite sending off for Holebas, last man. Obviously frustrating for him but pissed me off the way they were all saying it was harsh and it should get rescinded. Why? He got a deserved red and misses the next game, simples.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Probably one of the softest reds I've seen this season. Will be very interesting to see how similar events next season will pan out with VAR.

Deulofeu is a real handful - really like him, top player and made things tick for Watford today.

Foster was unlucky - twice he pushes some very good shots onto the bar, both fall for our mob to bury. Conversely we can say we were lucky, but you have to get the players following up: right place, right time so well done to Lanzini and Arnautovic.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

How is last man a soft red? :?
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

looking at it on MOTD his touch was taking him away from goal.

hope it's rescinded just because no-one should miss an FA cup final for that kind of red anyway.
traxop

Post by traxop »

The penalty given to Antonio was definitely a penalty. The act of fouling was done from behind, it was done after the point in time where he could no longer challenge - legally - for the ball and as he was the last man, it had to be a red.

It's very much like the Xhaka penalty against Brighton last week, the attacker was passed him and the tug on the shoulder was even more innocuous, but the intent was to impede illegally. Compared to Zaba's situation at the other end, the attacker was never in front of him when the body-to-body contact/shoulder-to-shoulder was made and that made it a more subjective call.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

GaryP wrote:Brilliant save from Fab just before the whistle.
wolf359 wrote:They looked offside to me ( not that it matters when goals are scored against us)
Universidad-de-Chile wrote:Were been lucky with the officials today, arent we?
Well Watford's goal shouldn't have stood - both their players were in our half when Arnie kicked-off.
Image(click to thumbnail to enlarge).

Watford were a bit unlucky with the red card though. But the free-kick and penalty decisions were correct.
Thought we did pretty well today. Defence was as iffy as it's ever been though - especially when Zab came on. Pity we didn't name the young Johnson lad on the bench.
Antonio has put in a couple of cracking Hollywood-reel performances lately - not always the best options though.
Noble has been superb recently.
Arnie seemed fairly happy with his team-mates today - even when Noble took the ball off him for the penalty. Last we've seen of him?
And I wonder if we'll see Hernandez again (I thought he was getting ready to come on for the last 20-odd minutes) and Nasri. In the latter's case I really hope so.
Good end to the season and hopefully something we build on.

I'm not sure we're really "Best of the Rest" - yes, we've had a lot of dodgy decisions against us (again) but we were terrible at times too. As is the case with Everton and Leicester who are very capable but underperformed for significant spells. Wolves did the double on us, quite comfortably. And despite their showing today, Watford reached the FA Cup final - although iirc I thought they were lucky with their 2-0 win at our place.
If they can keep Zaha, and/or strengthen their team, Palace have begun to look a good team too.

Tellingly though, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Man Utd have supposedly had poor seasons again, yet we (nor the others aforementioned) are nowhere near them.
S-H wrote:Apologies..

Brighton 2-0 up now too.
Thanks S-H, I steered clear of the thread just in case.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

In an alternate Universe, when we got the penalty, Adrian would have come on as our last sub...
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

bowltorious wrote:Antonio's was a pen, he fell theatrically .
I agree it probably was a penalty but every week people moan about Zaha, Salah etc making the most of contact they get and being theatrical to get penalties
In an ideal world I would rather Antonio hadn't gone down like that
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

therevwas contact and he went down. soft but not a dive. all we can ask for in modern football
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

How much was the amount said to be the bet between Arnie and Anderson for top league goal scorer?

hows your luck! see your shot saved onto the post.. rebound tucked away by arnie to win the bet lol
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

shame for fredericks . zaba was awful.

fredericks number one RB with Johnson as understudy zaba in an emergenecy !
legs have gone and thats the problem with old players
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Any news on Fredericks, what happened?
artlin

Post by artlin »

(Apart from Citeh and Bin dippers,) Us and Palarse had the best end to the season with 1 draw and 3 wins.

I am quite pleased with our season overall. Well, maybe still a bit pissed off with the Cardiff game.

:scarfer:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Lovely way to finish the season, a season of ups & downs for sure, the biggest down for me was Wimbledon. The up side, Pellers giving us more of an identity, home form in regards to points working as it should. Been some great performances, and a fair few shockers, but isn't that West Ham :D

An interesting summer ahead for the right reasons (I hope!?!?!?).
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Thought we were good value. Watford may not have been full blood an dthunder but they certainly weren't coasting and going into the cup final on the back of a hom ethumping would not be waht they wanted.

Both teams were allowed to play quite openly and I thought we took our chances very well. Thought Balbuena was absolutely excellent throughout. Antonio and Anderson caused problems. Arnautovic struggles to get in the game as a Centre Forward. Rice and Noble were also fantastic.

Poor old Zabaleta just couldn't get going and Sanchez can't seem to find a pass.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

get Gomez in as centre forward and arnie can go on the wing . He needs competition for a place because he doesn't have any with Hernandez perez and carthorse !

arnie/Antonio Gomez Anderson/yarmolenko

lanzini/wilshere rice, noble/ new DM

competition is the key to raising performance. look at city !
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Clear pen on Antonio. The bloke made no attempt to get the ball and just barged straight into Antonio.

The red was also a clear red, Antonio through on goal running full pelt and the defender pulls him back by the shoulder.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

BoB_On wrote:Highlights

http://hlfc.veuclips.com/player/html/dH ... autoplay=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watching the highlights, the thing that stood out to me was the eagerness to congratulate and celebrate with the goalscorers, the togetherness within the squad is lovely to see.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:....................

Well Watford's goal shouldn't have stood - both their players were in our half when Arnie kicked-off.

Arnie was also in their half...