Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by Marky »

He does have to buy younger...not the Perez/Sanchez types I want players with something to proove like Issa
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

davids cross wrote:And so, we complete out seventh successive season back in the Premier League.

Here they are.

18/19 - 10th...52pts (Pellegrini)
17/18 - 13th...42pts (Bilic/Moyes)
16/17 - 11th...45pts (Bilic)
15/16 - 7th.... 62pts (Bilic)
14/15 - 12th.. 47pts (Allardyce)
13/14 - 13th.. 40 pts (Allardyce)
12/13 - 10th.. 46pts (Allardyce)
We are 10th in the “last 50 years “ league table with an average finishing position of 15th.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

The composition of the XI Team for next season, have we just had a glimpse of it at the end of this one?

Reason why I ask, is during the course of the past 4 matches or so, with main players coming back from injury or out from the cold due to transfer talk, we've been playing some of our most excellent play going forward whilst making sure the defence is as tight as possible.

Leicester 2-2 - Should really have won it
Spurs 0-1 - Convincing winners away from home
Southampton 3-0 - Comfortable winners at home
Watford 1-4 - Well deserved win away from home again always looking a threat going forward without being so pourous defensively.

We will of course try to add to the Squad, however I feel the Team has ended up finally looking like how Pellegrini wants his team to play in a very balanced and entertaining fashion. It does mean we play more as a 433 formation which isn't his 1st preference, but it makes me wonder whether he's felt it's what suits this Squad for now playing football he could honestly say represents his values in a game from one of his teams. We really have looked good and natural whatever questions have been asked of us.

.......................Fabianski

Fredericks Balbuena Diop Masuaku

............................Rice

............ Noble................Lanzini

Antonio.....................................Anderson

....................... Arnautovic

Conceded - 3
Scored - 10
Clean sheets - 2
3 wins
1 draw

That to me represents close to our strongest side that has just about enough of everything we need with the right blend of youth, experience, pace, skill, power. I do feel we should really be pushing to improve the full backs at least as I don't regard either as top 8 standard but everyone else does. Others will feel they don't need improving.

And give or take the likes of Rice, Diop and Lanzini coming in for 1 of those games to improve the set up respectively even more, we have looked a strong outfit always threatening on the attack without being totally reckless defensively.

Or do people expect it to look a lot different to this be it formation wise and/or personnel? It feels to me to be close to being the side and the kind of consistent performances Pellegrini has wanted us to play from the start and had finally been able to achieve that once the side was settled one again. Be it key injured players returning or certain players putting aside their initial desire to leave.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Love that formation and personnel, Colours. Really do fancy Lanzini in that deeper role.

The only difference I can see would be from Yarmolenko coming in on the right for Antonio - if Yarmo plays his way back into the managers plans off the bench and in training. But on current form you'd certainly have Antonio there.

You look at that team and wonder - where can we actually improve it? For me, it's tricky - we might find a better defensive left back than Masuaku, but a better attacking one is going to be tough to come by at our level. You might be able to make a small improvement on Noble but at what cost to the team as a whole (given how our form dips when he's not in the team). You could question whether Lanzini will succeed played there.

But really, that's a very solid line up and should be achieving anywhere from 7th to 10th in the league regularly.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

That line-up, with an upgrade in midfield, and proper put and out striker would be good enough to come 7th for sure. Of course, it is as much about the squad as just the first eleven though

That midfield would still more often than not get dominated/ bullied by the likes of Wolves, Everton and Watford though
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Like you, I'm also a big fan of Yaemolenko and look forward to his return from injury. However I believe he has a hell of a job dislodging Antonio from the Team and Antonio was favoured by Pellegrini at the very beginning also. It just shows that when we do have a spell of being injury free (yeah right) we have a lot of quality in reserve either way. It really is an impressive array of talent when you also consider Diangana chomping on the buts in the background and possibly Holland a little further down the line all going well. Going forward I don't feel all that concerned, it is just the defence I want us to mainly concentrate on improving so to propel the Team into one that permanently puts the frighteners into Teams. Suss the full back issue and 1 more quality centre half, 1 DM cover to the Squad and a Striker to replace those leaving then we will be some side. I'm convinced of that. A lot will depend on how he tackles the defence though. Everything else is almost there but for the occasional tweak.
Colours never run

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:That line-up, with an upgrade in midfield, and proper put and out striker would be good enough to come 7th for sure. Of course, it is as much about the squad as just the first eleven though

That midfield would still more often than not get dominated/ bullied by the likes of Wolves, Everton and Watford though
Not as a 3 once all thee mentioned are regularly available and up to speed, as the recent Watford game proved. It was them that couldn't handle our midfield three.

I don't feel we will be able to afford and justify spending big on a new CM of the likes of a Doucoure many wish to see (not that he's likely to come anyway). Might have to be a touch more realistic about it. There is however other positions in the side that can and really should be improved by spending most of the budget on. For me, the priority is the full backs and 1 centre half and Striker. Beyond that I'd expect the budget to dry up a lot, hence a Medel type to plump up the squad in the middle of the park. We almost have enough Midfielders to cope well, anyone from a strong selection of - Rice, Snodgrass, Wilshere, Lanzini, Noble, Nasri. Pellegrini has intimated he's pinning his hopes of Wilshere having a strong season next season and I'd be surprised if he doesn't decide to keep Nasri who will benefit a lot from resting and getting in a proper pre season instead of rushed more into the side this season.

But you're dead right about it now being more about the Squad improvement by trying to add some real quality to the first team. It really isn't far off being a dangerous Team to face on a regular basis if this is how it's to mainly look going into the new season.
Last edited by Colours never run on Fri May 17, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

My dream manager Allegri is now available (it was Klopp at Dortmund). If we had ambition.....
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Colours never run wrote:
Not as a 3 once all thee mentioned are regularly available and up to speed, as the recent Watford game proved. It was them that couldn't handle our midfield three.

Watford were not playing at 100% and even then they dominated the first half and missed lots of chances.
When they were a man down we looked a lot better .
All three of those players are great players, but simply far too light-weight, small and slow to play as a three in the Premier League, especially against teams who rely on size, speed and athleticism in the middle of the park.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

looking at central midfield I expect nasri to go, waste of time with him as poor attitude and injury record. obiang will be sold as well.
I cant see wilshere being fit for most of the season either. he and lanzini will alternate I think.

the DM area sees us have rice and noble, snodgrass, sanchez . The last three are not good enough in the modern game and we need a quicker, more athletic box to box man.
I expect to see noble play a lot of games but less so the other two. all are well into their thirties and will need replacing for the 2020/21 season. sanchez and snod will be out of contract and I doubt we will offer them another.

so we need to buy younger players now for the important DM and CM role.
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 509 likes

Post by Ding »

Colours never run wrote:The composition of the XI Team for next season, have we just had a glimpse of it at the end of this one?.
Agreed CNR. I had the distinct feeling that in the last handful of matches he had established a stable structure where things were more or less working as he liked; that he got to a stable platform from which he will build in the summer. Thus he knows now who will stay and who will be sold. He knows where and how to play each individual and whether he can be depended on. Most importantly, he knows what this squad requires by way of new additions. As a result, this will be for me the most interesting summer for many years.

I am looking forward to next season, I really am.
Colours never run

Ding wrote: Agreed CNR. I had the distinct feeling that in the last handful of matches he had established a stable structure where things were more or less working as he liked; that he got to a stable platform from which he will build in the summer. Thus he knows now who will stay and who will be sold. He knows where and how to play each individual and whether he can be depended on. Most importantly, he knows what this squad requires by way of new additions. As a result, this will be for me the most interesting summer for many years.

I am looking forward to next season, I really am.
100%

He'll now have a comprehensive assessment of what works and what doesn't in the squad. And just as importantly, the players now know what's required of them and the style of play Pellegrini demands from his Team. The toughest part now is can Pellegrini/Husillos/Sullivan between them find the appropriate funds and quality of players to supplement an already strong nucleus of players already here? Easier said than done but I'm hopeful they'll get close to getting it more right than wrong.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

whenever he was fully fit and functional a couple of seasons back, I was banging the Lanzini in the Modric role drum.

I think he could make that a good fit, but of course it would mean having Tony Kroos beside him !!!!

:D

seriously though I think he could make a good fist of it...
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

We have finished each of the last three years with a flourish, and promptly followed up with dismal starts the following year.

Pellegrini has to find a way to put an end to that.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

which puts us behind the 8 ball to kick off with....
Patito

Post by Patito »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:whenever he was fully fit and functional a couple of seasons back, I was banging the Lanzini in the Modric role drum.

I think he could make that a good fit, but of course it would mean having Tony Kroos beside him !!!!

:D

seriously though I think he could make a good fist of it...

I agree I think that’s his best position, or will he once he’s 100%.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:We have finished each of the last three years with a flourish, and promptly followed up with dismal starts the following year.

Pellegrini has to find a way to put an end to that.

If the rumoured money to spend is only 25 million he will find a way alright...at Barcelona
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Marky wrote:My dream manager Allegri is now available (it was Klopp at Dortmund). If we had ambition.....
no point wanting to shop at harrods when we can only window shop at matalan , the way the game has gone
no manager from a supposed elite club like that will ever come to us, we just dont have the money to back him up
Colours never run

Definitely rather have Pellegrini. We've far from shopped at Matalan to get him either, he's cost a bomb but justified.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

This is where pelle will earn his money by persuading good players to come to us.
in the past players would have chats with fat sam, bilic and moyes , hardly motivating but now we have a genuinely good manager with a good reputation.

aside from money our bargaining chips are
pelle as manager, good reputation
more chance of first team with us
London based
60,000 support
we have some good layers already
our aims to break into the top 6

bad side is that we have
gold, sullivan and brady
we dont have much money
we havent won anything for nearly 40 years !