Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Patito

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Patito »

Well that’s ****ed up Hearn’s plans hasn’t it?
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

AJ cannot take a punch. I wouldn't say he has a glass jaw, but in the heavyweight division more than any other, if you cannot take a good punch, then you will end up on the canvas. There's a reason he's been managed the way he has and dodged certain fighters.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:I can't stand Hearn but fair play to him for being able to fool tens of thousands of people of paying for this fight.

Joshua is quickly becoming a bit of a phoney.
Quicker than I thought. Even if he wins the rematch, getting beaten by this chump will never be forgotten.

I can see why he's been swerving Wilder and Fury now.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

WCpete wrote:. I’ve heard him talk about wanting to be considered in the same breath with the Ali’s, Lewis’s etc. Fight the real contenders and then you can talk.
Yes it's been embarrassing really.

I wonder if his dim followers will still be calling everyone "haterz" for questioning his ability and track record after this

Dodging that tennis ball and dancing in a WIlliam Hill advert doesn't seem to have done much for his punch avoidance.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:

I can see why he's been swerving Wilder and Fury now.
Be better of with Gene WIlder, punches at the same level as most of the people picked by Hearn.

Secret's out now though. That being that Joshua has no heart whatsoever.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Congratulations to Ruiz. He absolutely battered Joshua who didnt fancy it one bit.

Serves him and Hearn right.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I prefer Tyson Fury, anyway
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Andy Ruiz needs to keep the flab. Awesome win. Heck of a quick punch. The heavyweight titles are wide open again
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

The more you look at Joshua throwing his own towel in the more pathetic it is. Gave the ref no option but to stop the fight but is then looking incredulous as to why.
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Make you right, whitey. - that Will Hill ad makes me wince every time I see it. - As a business man, you have to give credit to Hearn, he’s squeezed some mileage (and cash) out of the guy.

For me, Fury all day long. - an inspiring character in and out the ring.
Last edited by simonirons on Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Yes fair play to the cash they've made from a highly limited but media friendly boxer.

If you can punch through a few tomato cans and old men whilst looking like a bodybuilder with a nice smile, then there is plenty of cash to be made.

They'll make a fair few quid more as well before it's over but now at least everyone can see.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Some poor comments on here. Not sure why anyone would revel in an English fighter losing?

All boxers lose...the measure of the man will be how he bounces back.

Congrats to Ruiz. A fantastic performance and the better man won on the night.

Another legit player in the mix can only be good for the division.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Morocco Mole wrote:Some poor comments on here. Not sure why anyone would revel in an English fighter losing?

All boxers lose...the measure of the man will be how he bounces back.

Congrats to Ruiz. A fantastic performance and the better man won on the night.

Another legit player in the mix can only be good for the division.
We have to blindly love a boxer because we were born in the same country as him?

No, I think what the problem with Aj is that he is clearly a lovely guy but he is surrounded by a very slick team who have eeked out as much money as possible for him. Fair play. But he doesn't come across as authentic. And he never felt like an authentic champion. They can say what they want but he did seem to dodge Wilder and Fury. Their fight completely changed the situation for him. He beat Klitchshko which was a great fight but let's not kid ourselves, Vlad was 40 years old and had already lost his crown to fury - he wasn't the same fighter.

He's a very good boxer but he's a not a natural boxer - he started boxing too late in life. And what a weird interview he gave after the fight. He was hurt badly in the 3rd round and he was not the same after that. Still, I expect him to beat Ruiz in a rematch.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

That was hilarious, even more so Joshua at the weigh-in going I won't keep you up ie I'll knock him out earlier, Ruiz took at short notice, massively out of shape and won :lol: They must have a rematch clause, Joshua said they don't but no way Hearn doesn't. Big debut on the American audience that, they need to get him off the juice and lean like Klitschko is, ripped to high heavens but lean, Joshua is far too big

Kelly looked dire, all style no substance

Real kings are Fury as a boxer and Wilder has the power, Klitschko should've Joshua had done and didn't push the button

Same things happen to Whyte when he faces someone a bit better
Last edited by fmgod on Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

jacko wrote: We have to blindly love a boxer because we were born in the same country as him?
I’ve told you a million times; stop exaggerating.

I never mentioned ‘blindly loving’ him. I blindly love my kids (sometimes)...that’s about it. Image
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

simonirons wrote:For me, Fury all day long. - an inspiring character in and out the ring.
Inspiring :lol:

Geezer who went on a coke and booze sesh for 2 years after failing a drugs test, then lied about giving his Wilder purse to charity.

Proper inspiring...
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

The concern for the team around Joshua will be the manner of the defeat. It wasn't a big shot that knocked him out, Ruiz beat the fight out of him and at the end he didn't want to know.

In fairness to Joshua though, it's boxing and it happens. Underperforming or getting caught cold when you have a challenge infront of you that you can't get up for happens in the sport. Would he have been as poor versus Usyk, Wilder or Fury I doubt it, he may have lost but he wouldn't perform like that

Regardless, that felt like the Douglas/Tyson and Lewis/Rahman moment of this generation. What a wild fight.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Josh Kelly and Katie Taylor also very lucky to end up with a draw and win respectively. Taylor was comfortably beaten.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Fury would tie him in knots for 12 rounds
Wilder and him could fight 10 times with different winners but Wilder has the real power, one shot Joshua is gone
Usyk depending how he adapts to heavyweight would beat Joshua
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Or... coming back from mental health issues, drink and drug addictions and generally being wrote off, to pulling off something pretty spectacular.

Admitidely, I wasn’t aware of the purse detail.