Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Re: Formula1 2019

Post by wolf359 »

Vettel sticks it in the barrier and misses out on FP3. Race is ***** but Saturday qualifying is one of the season highlights.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

wolf359 wrote:Vettel sticks it in the barrier and misses out on FP3. Race is ***** but Saturday qualifying is one of the season highlights.
Vettel's slow demise is quite an eye opener really.

I genuinely thought he was a better driver than this .

The number of instances where he's cracked under pressure the last couple of years especially when head to head with Hamilton is staggering.

Yes Hamilton has the better car and yes if they swapped I'd probably expect Vettel to win but I'd also expect Hamilton to be a lot closer to him than he has managed
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

White Goodman wrote:Monaco this weekend.

Worst weekend in the Formula 1 calendar for me.

The cock gobbling the media engages in doesn't hide the fact that 9 times out of 10 , it is utterly tedious.
Yep :thup:
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Vettel knocks out Leclerc in Q1. Ferrari brain trust messes up again.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

And again Vettel hits wall trying too hard

Sorry guys seems to be Vettel's most regular radio transmission for the last 2 years
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Merc 1,2. Hamilton looking very pumped, he really is the master of the qualifying lap. 60% of rain tomorrow. It's likely to be a snoozefest but rain and safety cars might spice it up a bit.

I've always thought Vettel was over-rated, won his titles in a car far more dominant than the mercs are now. Was just in the right place and the right time.
Last edited by wolf359 on Tue May 28, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

As usual, Monaco does not deliver. Leclerc gave us some nice moments & max at the end.

Would love to see mad Max in a Merc going toe to toe with Lewis.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Max would be world champion in that car, regardless of who his team mate happened to be.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

White Goodman wrote:Max would be world champion in that car, regardless of who his team mate happened to be.
Thats quite a bold statement.

Don't think he is there yet, still makes far too many rash decisions. The overtake on Lewis last week was a poor call by him, slightly different contact and he takes out Lewis with a puncture.

Vettel is really beginning to prove that he is not in the same class as Hamilton. Constant mistakes and is only able to win when in a dominant car out in front and even then he managed to mess that up last year.

Hamilton is still a class above everyone (forget his radio broadcasting - its just the way he races and comminicates i guess - and then the broadcasters pick and choose what radio transmissions to air). Hamiltons driving, decision making and general all round is the reason why he is winning championships - obviously an excellent car helps.

It his to lose again this season, it just depends if Bottas can keep in touch.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

k-r-c wrote: Hamilton is still a class above everyone (forget his radio broadcasting - its just the way he races and comminicates i guess - and then the broadcasters pick and choose what radio transmissions to air).
I know there are those who call Hamilton a whinger, or some who think he's a bit Hollwood will all his messages of doom, but I think it shows his human weakness.

My theory is that his inner chimp (not the rascist one) can't contain the negative doubts in his head, so he verbalises them while still driving like a god. I doubt he even realises half the time what he is saying.

My favourite was about 4 seasons back, his engineer just knew how to deal with it. We'd had about 10 laps of "the tyres are done, they are finished, I can't drive them any more, there gonna explode if i don't come in" After the final rant it went quiet, then his engineer just came on and said "Lewis, you are currently fastest on track."

The technical version of telling him to shut up. :lol:
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

White Goodman wrote:Max would be world champion in that car, regardless of who his team mate happened to be.
He’d certainly be a huge threat to Hamilton but I’m not sure he’d topple him. Lewis would likely rise to the challenge, unlike a certain German.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Bend it like Repka wrote:My favourite was about 4 seasons back, his engineer just knew how to deal with it. We'd had about 10 laps of "the tyres are done, they are finished, I can't drive them any more, there gonna explode if i don't come in" After the final rant it went quiet, then his engineer just came on and said "Lewis, you are currently fastest on track."

The technical version of telling him to shut up. :lol:
lol, this is amazing.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

It would be interesting to see how Verstappen fares when he is in a top car and expectations are raised. He still drives with the cavalier attitude of a rookie and that's why he's popular.
I think put him in Bottas's Merc and Lewis would still win, but Max would make him work harder than Bottas,
possibly.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

I thought that call might raise a few eyebrows. :)

Stand by it though .

Whilst nobody can know for certain unless it were to happen, I think Verstappen has refined and matured his approach massively and isn't anywhere near as reckless as witnessed in his first few years.

Yes that lunge at Monaco nearly caused an accident but we all know that overtaking a competitive car on that circuit is borderline impossible and think he felt he had to have a go at least once .

Great respect for Hamilton but think his life would be purgatory if Max was in the other Merc.

He's in a position where he has Bottas as teammate , who I would back him to beat 9 times out of 10 seasons and Ferrari acting like the Keystone Cops this season.

I don't know if Hamilton would be able to resist Verstappen over a whole season in equal cars. Not at this point in his career anyway.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Free practice 1 was a Merc feast but FP2 was much closer with Ferrari leading. Lewis damaged his car, as did Max. Promises to be closer, but tomorrow will make it clearer.

Looks like a hot weekend in Canada, we just need a close race, the Merc run away is getting boring (though I support Lewis)
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

wolf359 wrote:Free practice 1 was a Merc feast but FP2 was much closer with Ferrari leading. Lewis damaged his car, as did Max.
Lewis is human afterall!!!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

That's Vettel on pole, Hamilton 2nd, Le Clerc 3rd. Bottas in 5th.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Hamilton did well to split the Ferrari pair. Be interesting to see the start, I reckon Leclerc will be all over Lewis.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Special mention to Ricciardo...... 4th on the grid in that Renault! :thup:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Yet again Vettel shows he can't handle pressure