Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Re: Beer/Lager Thread

Post by Samba »

Ralph Mellish wrote:Carling Black Label
Can't stand any of that dirty dishwater stuff, although I used to like a pint of Double Diamond and a can of Long Life indoors.
Whatever happened to Double Diamond? It used to work wonders.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

I come to sing the praises of Rudgate Ruby Mild. If you see it on draught, drink it.

Also, don’t forget that summer brings https://gbbf.org.uk/ to Olympia.

It’s not just for beer bellied, leather patched elbow knitwear wearing beardies. Hipsters go as well. :)
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

The Collector wrote:Also, don’t forget that summer brings https://gbbf.org.uk/ to Olympia.
Love it. Ain't been for a couple of years but I'm going to try and get our guvnor to get this sorted for a "team bonding" evening.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

every time I watch those older t.v. series, they go into a pub and the landlord is always pulling pints from a pump on the bar !!!!!!!

:cry:

oh and in one Sherlock Holmes episode, the landlord took it straight from the barrel

:D
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

I had a couple of pints of Moretti in the sun after work on Friday in a pub in Mayfair that were absolutely gorgeous. Temperature, head, amount of fizz just right, and in the correct glass.

I then went to another pub on the Isle of Dogs also doing Moretti but outside in those hard plastic glasses. Just wasnt the same.

I find quite often with lager that it's not so much the lager itself but the pub serving it.

As to the whole IPA debate, dont be suckered in by it's trendiness. There are far too many crap IPAs floating around at the moment riding the bankwagon of popularity and "alternativeness" that are just overly hopped or over malty crap. Beer 52 themselves have been guilty of sending these out.

Anyway, yesterday afternoon I had 4 cans of Thatchers Gold whist sitting in the sun/cooking meat on the barbecue like a man, and that stuff knocks spots off of everything else produced in "Ireland".
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

As my old grandad used to say...

'There are no bad beers, just some are better than others'
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

just got back from Spain - they do a decent drop out there

Cruzcampo - 50 cents a bottle
Estrella Especial - 60 cents a bottle

in the bars they were 2-3 Euros a pop though - 2.50 euros draft
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

sendô wrote:
As to the whole IPA debate, dont be suckered in by it's trendiness. There are far too many crap IPAs floating around at the moment riding the bankwagon of popularity and "alternativeness" that are just overly hopped or over malty crap. Beer 52 themselves have been guilty of sending these out..
The IPA "Style" of beer was re-vamped by the yanks, a decade or so ago leading the way to the current craft beer revolution, so for that we should be grateful I suppose.
The problem is that there are so many generic American IPA clones out there that all taste the same. It's not difficult, just use the same hops as they do : Cascade, Citra, Chinook and you'll get a pretty good identikit beer.
My IPA is a back to basics old English IPA with a slight New World twist (NZ hops added to UK ones). I tried to get a balanced beer, using good British malt to give it a bit of body, but nothing too heavy and enough hops to get it nicely bitter but none of that samey lychee/mango taste and bitterness to take the enamel off your teeth: more black/red berry, new-mown grass and black peppery overtones but balanced.
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

sendô wrote:I had a couple of pints of Moretti in the sun after work on Friday in a pub in Mayfair that were absolutely gorgeous. Temperature, head, amount of fizz just right, and in the correct glass.
Wetherspoons do Moretti in bottles for a very good price. Not the same as draught but still very good.
sendô wrote:I find quite often with lager that it's not so much the lager itself but the pub serving it.
I totally agree with this. There is a pub in Bristol that does an excellent pint of Amstel. Amstel is usually quite bog-standard but at this pub it is really refreshing and clean tasting.
sendô wrote:Anyway, yesterday afternoon I had 4 cans of Thatchers Gold whist sitting in the sun/cooking meat on the barbecue like a man, and that stuff knocks spots off of everything else produced in "Ireland".
Am I missing something here? Thatchers Gold is not produced in Ireland, or are you talking about the stuff you are comparing it to.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Yeah yeah yeah, when can we get some Toulouse?
sendô

Post by sendô »

EastBrisHammer wrote: Am I missing something here? Thatchers Gold is not produced in Ireland, or are you talking about the stuff you are comparing it to.
Yeah. For me, "Cider" is the stuff made from apples, and should come from Somerset, Devon or Cornwall.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a crate of Magners "Pear Cider" at home and will drink it, but as with mass produced lagers, it's just not quite as good as the proper stuff.

The worst ones are the likes of Reckorderlig or whatever the f*** it is. Mixed berries or strawberry and lime isn't cider, it's an alcopop.
EastBrisHammer wrote: I totally agree with this. There is a pub in Bristol that does an excellent pint of Amstel. Amstel is usually quite bog-standard but at this pub it is really refreshing and clean tasting.
Typically, if I'm having a pint in a Spoons or a similar type place, I'll go for whatever lager appears most popular, and is therefore fresher, and will avoid the less popular craft type beers.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

No need to drink crap beer anymore. Every supermarket now has a pretty decent selection - Tesco and Waitrose in particular have got a great range in these days. If we're talking lager though, my go to's are usually...

M&S - Paulaner Munchner Hells
Waitrose - Lost and Grounded Keller Pils
Sainsburys - Budvar or Camden Hells
Tesco - Pilsner Urquell or Vocation Pilsner
Morrisons - Warsteiner or Krombacher
Whole Foods - Augustiner Hells
Asda - Camden Hells.

Obviously I wouldn't turn down a pint/tin of anything, but given the choice available these days I can safely say I'll never drink Carling or Fosters again. Even at football. Just no need.
sendô

Post by sendô »

^ As a rule of thumb, if it's Czech or Bavarian, then it's going to be good lager.
cambridge hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by cambridge hammer »

Coming back from Burnley on the train a few years we met Alistair Campbell. Best known for being Blair's spokesman,Burnley fan and Teetotaler. Some West Ham fans offered him a beer but he replied he didn't do alcohol. One of the chaps said not to worry it was only Fosters,and that didn't count.
Awooga_Iron
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Awooga_Iron »

As supermarket ales go, I like Cornish Knocker (Skinners) and Butcombe Gold most of all.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Even Aldi do a decent pilsner 'brewed under German purity law' for about a quid a bottle (large bottle).

Nothing amazing but a good afternoon in the garden beer.

I've given up on lagers around 4 months ago and have been on the ales. Ghost ship et al are reasonably priced (1.99 in spoons!). But one of my favourites so far has been tribute. A proper cornish ale.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ Aldi's weissbier is quite decent - same brewery as their pilsner.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

when I was bar-tending we would go to some places around town that would do Bass on tap.

in some places it was naff and in some really good. I am guessing that some places sold a lot more than others.

also at the place I worked at we had the wholesalers clean the lines every week. I think some places NEVER cleaned the lines at all..that also would account for the cleaner taste as opposed to the awful taste.

I am guessing of course.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Ahhh, draught Bass. A beer everyone wanted served slightly differently. One bloke insisted I remove the plastic bit off the end of the tap, to ensure it was poured as flat as it could be. Always thought that was a bit odd til I tried it, and he was absolutely right.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

My stomach (the morning after a sesh) is usually a good indicator of whether the lines are cleaned regularly or not.