The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 480 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Bill wrote:Hope we get the Gomez deal done soon, or we will be seriously short up front. Who's our plan B? I haven't heard anybody mooted that's much cop tbh.
Cometh the hour, cometh the man

Last edited by Ludeksgloves on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patito

Post by Patito »

YorksHammer wrote:There are only four players who have scored ten or more Premier League goals in 2019.

Sadio Mane, Sergio Aguero, Jamie Hardy, and Ayoze Perez.

Pérez had never scored 10 league goals in any of his previous Premier League seasons and IMO he won’t do it again. Leicester have signed him off an end of season flurry of form.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Bill wrote:Can't understand why people particularly rate Rondon. Has never impressed me much. Belotti won't come and would be even more expensive than Gomez. Marega has a lot of goals, but from what I've seen he needs a lot of chances to score in a poorer league. I know nothing about the other two.

Who would you go for, out of interest, Bill?
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1154 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I still have a feeling that we won’t get Gomez, we may have edged ahead but Valencia will then chat with him again. Just a view.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1081 likes
Total likes: 1388 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

YorksHammer wrote:There are only four players who have scored ten or more Premier League goals in 2019.

Sadio Mane, Sergio Aguero, Jamie Hardy, and Ayoze Perez.
By the same token, he only scored 2 in the first 23 games this season...

So they are buying form, not necessarily consistency?
Czech Hammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Czech Hammer »

Gomez
Balotelli
Wellbeck
:scarfer:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 520 likes
Total likes: 1314 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Proper soap opera.

Media out of Valencia reckon Gomez will change agents purely to not join West Ham. :lol:
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

They paid close to £30m for Slimani who many on here wanted, he pretty much bombed. There is always a risk with transfers, especially those of a player with no experience of the league.

They also have owners with about 4 times the wealth of ours.

It is as much about spending money right as the amount you spend, to date many of Leicester’s best buys have not been their more high profile acquisitions. The likes Schmichel, Huth, Drinkwater, Albrighton and Morgan were vital to their Premier league win but I doubt would have been popular choices were we looking at them at the time. They stole a march on us with Kante and Mahrez was inspired. They have all contributed far more than a lot of the bigger ticket players who arrived since.

Whilst we are all excited about the possibility of Gomez in the same way as Anderson last summer, arguably both Balbuena and Fabianski were as important yet many questioned why go for a keeper who had been relegated and someone who had never played in Europe and was in their later 20’s, I remember the “just spend the extra and get Mawson” style comments. Thing is we now have professionals in charge and, until they fail, you have to trust their judgement about how they want to use the budget.
goingunderground
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by goingunderground »

I'm all about going into the season with only Hugill up front and for him to have a Snodgrass-esque rise from the ashes.

With the likes of Felipe, Fornals, Manu, Nobes, Wilshere and Yarmo feeding him, I see Jordan going on a proper mad one right off the bat. Somehow he's always in the right place at the right time, shinning them in, suddenly he's in the England squad by Christmas.

It's widely known that Filippo Inzaghi was technically atrocious but he still went on to be 4th highest goal scorer in European club competitions (70 onions) and 7th highest scorer in Italy (313).

West Ham is the home of the unlikely hero. And our new favourite son is about to be born. :crest:
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Patito wrote:Pérez had never scored 10 league goals in any of his previous Premier League seasons and IMO he won’t do it again. Leicester have signed him off an end of season flurry of form.
Don't get me wrong, I'm very much of the same opinion. Just found that a startling statistic

Not unlike when Arnautovic had been involved in more goals than Salah in the first half of 2018 (or whatever that stat was) and we all said he was worth £50m or some ridiculous sum.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2402 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Leicester performing miracles and winning the league gave them a massive leg up the pecking order which they are still benefiting from when it comes to attracting players and also the ambition of the owners to pump money in
For me, Leicester and Everton are slightly ahead of us in the race for 'best of the rest', but anyone of the three has a chance to disrupt the top six with astute signings and a bit of luck

I don't think Wolves will do that well this season simply because they can't possibly have as much luck again
Phil S
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Phil S »

goingunderground wrote:I'm all about going into the season with only Hugill up front and for him to have a Snodgrass-esque rise from the ashes.

With the likes of Felipe, Fornals, Manu, Nobes, Wilshere and Yarmo feeding him, I see Jordan going on a proper mad one right off the bat. Somehow he's always in the right place at the right time, shinning them in, suddenly he's in the England squad by Christmas.

It's widely known that Filippo Inzaghi was technically atrocious but he still went on to be 4th highest goal scorer in European club competitions (70 onions) and 7th highest scorer in Italy (313).

West Ham is the home of the unlikely hero. And our new favourite son is about to be born. :crest:
Nurse..^ he needs some meds
goingunderground
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by goingunderground »

Phil S wrote:
Nurse..^ he needs some meds
Ah come on Phil you ol' romantic, you can feel it can't you?
Last edited by goingunderground on Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1081 likes
Total likes: 1388 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Gsbgsb wrote:Whilst we are all excited about the possibility of Gomez in the same way as Anderson last summer, arguably both Balbuena and Fabianski were as important yet many questioned why go for a keeper who had been relegated and someone who had never played in Europe and was in their later 20’s, I remember the “just spend the extra and get Mawson” style comments. Thing is we now have professionals in charge and, until they fail, you have to trust their judgement about how they want to use the budget.
Good post...
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 3492 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Few things on this earth would give me greater pleasure than to see the Hugill score 20 goals this season.

I doubt he'll get 20 minutes, but one can always dream.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 520 likes
Total likes: 1314 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Up the Junction wrote:Few things on this earth would give me greater pleasure than to see the Hugill score 20 goals this season.
Wouldn’t it just be incredible?
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Rasp »

Up the Junction wrote:Few things on this earth would give me greater pleasure than to see the Hugill score 20 goals this season.

I doubt he'll get 20 minutes, but one can always dream.
I would like to see the scum get relegated.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Rasp wrote:
I would like to see the scum get relegated.
Which one ? There are about ten of them
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Hugill won’t see another minute of competitive action for us. The bloke that bought him wouldn’t even play him
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2180 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I can remember getting a quite unknown striker from St Mirren for 340k. He didn't turn out too bad. Could do with him back.