The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1676 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Giving Chicha the #9 instantly makes me think that's a sign we ain't signing anyone worth while now. :lol:
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Thauvin is exactly what we need - whether it's bull or not . I'd love to see him at West Ham .

He's come on in leaps and bounds since his brief stay at Newcastle , can play on the right or the left , predominantly left footed [ which I like ] and clever with the ball .

We need another winger to take the heat off Anderson [ yeah , I know Fornals will help ] but Thauvin will give us another dimension - Hope this is true .
Just how many bluddy wingers do we need?! :shock: We can’t even get players in the positions we are desperate for! Let’s please focus on a Striker, a Left-Back and Box-To-Box midfielder please..
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'll happily keep Hernandez as an option - but I'll be very disappointed if he turns out to be our main striker next season. Almost as disappointed as I will be if we blow 30m+ on Marega.
Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by Mr_incredible »

oh no..this all the makings of getting very desperate ..very quickly.
Lets see how this new professional approach to recruitment pans out or whether we end up starting throwing bids around left right and center for league ones hottest prospects
Patito

Post by Patito »

We've missed out on our first choice striker target.

We'll now move on to whoever is number 2 on the list.

It's frustrating we've missed out on Gomez but it's not the end of the world, desperate or unprofessional.
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

Never has so much information been imparted in such a brief and indirect way as Hernandez getting the No.9 shirt.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1517 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Aceface wrote:Image

Never has so much information been imparted in such a brief and indirect way as Hernandez getting the No.9 shirt.
It's so fantastic, isn't it? He pretty much can't be on any lists out now.
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

Chica given the #9, might mean that he is on the way out....leaving that shirt number free for someone we are bringing in....rather than keeping Chica and then getting a forward who demands the #9, which could be a problem?
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Dalton wrote:Hernandez the new Number 9 :) Hopefully a good sign that he is staying on for this season.
Not sure if that leaves me with hope or not tbh. Leaves me rightly or wrongly with a few suspicions mind which I will button my lip over till things are clearer.
Patito

Post by Patito »

ExWHUemployee

Hernandez has been told he will have a key role at the club this year as Pellegrini doesn’t want a complete overhaul of forwards and also thinks that Hernandez is a top forward with the right service. (Be interesting if a top offer comes in for him what we do though)
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

On the subject of Thauvin, Leicester have been trying to sign him for a while – this is some numpty who doesn't know we have hundreds of wingers trying to give them a hurry up by linking us into it.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I'll happily keep Hernandez as an option - but I'll be very disappointed if he turns out to be our main striker next season.
Absolutely. How quickly some forget how ineffective he was for the majority of his appearances last season.

People (rightly) slag off Arnie for his attitude, but even with a poor attitude he was more of a threat than Hernandez last season.

I too don’t mind Hernandez sticking around as back-up, but if he’s our main striker we’re in for a below-par season.
East Belfast Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by East Belfast Hammer »

Well said Hammer1972 :crest:
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Marky wrote:We look amateur over the Maxi Gómez episode. All eggs in that basket when most on here could see it was unlikely. Biggest negative of the Husillos era (and I have been impressed with him)
You prefer the scattergun approach? You prefer just walking away from a transfer as soon as it looks a bit tricky?

It's dissappointing but the level of finger pointing going on here is a bit much.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 269 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

funky chicken wrote:Husillos wasn't the reason Sully refused to pay more money upfront. Sully is the man that has some explaining to do.

Starting with where has the TV money gone, as £40m should be nothing for a top 10 team, with a 60,000 capacity stadium.
Playing devils advocate here.

Where TV money has gone and 60k stadium? - Wages

or taking the numbers from the accounts 2018 £142m in income minus £106m in Salaries.
Sloffy

Post by Sloffy »

Glass half full

I think with our array of attacking midfielders and wide men, could Hernandez, a natural goalscorer, fill the void of the Arnie / Gomez sized hole we got?

(Still need more options)
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

Completely agree Dodger.....Chica has been a let down in my view....a good sub to bring on, maybe, but its not the next level...if Pellers was playing two up front, then maybe...but as a lone striker...no way...
Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by Mr_incredible »

Patito wrote:We've missed out on our first choice striker target.

We'll now move on to whoever is number 2 on the list.

It's frustrating we've missed out on Gomez but it's not the end of the world, desperate or unprofessional.
yeah thats my point....in the past its felt like at this point Suli asks Jack to get on footballer manager 2014 and give him some striker options to throw random bids at. Theres no disgrace in losing top targets....but if you start going thru the list (if there is one) and you still get no joy...then the list was wrong in the first place....Im just stating the bloody obvious, that this period is frought with danger and we get it wrong with alarming regularity. Im not panicking...but they got less than 30 days now to fix it :)
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

funky chicken wrote:Husillos wasn't the reason Sully refused to pay more money upfront. Sully is the man that has some explaining to do.

Starting with where has the TV money gone, as £40m should be nothing for a top 10 team, with a 60,000 capacity stadium.
Are you saying that Sully pulled away funds that they'd agreed on? In which case, I'm surprised that our management team haven't walked away from the club.

Ultimately we can't say 'It's all Husillos' when it goes our way and then 'It's all Sully' when it doesn't go our way. Well we can, but that's not exactly thinking with your head...

In this case, we chased hard on our main target and it didn't work out. We now move onto the next (which I am sure most people don't even know about). The blocking of a number of traditional ITK's getting information is killing the hunger for information and leaving us in the dark... which for me is great.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Hernandez with the #9 shirt feels so wrong - should be a #10.

He will never be able to lead the line alone. I long for the day we paid him with someone else up front who he can work with. Even last season when he was paired with Perez for a few games they looked decent.