Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by WHU Independent »

Charlo V's Adams and the undercard.

The undercard was a real bag of tosh with two unremarkable fights.

Charlo V's Adams was a decent match though. In the end Size counted and Adams didn't have the power to knock Charlo out. He also didn't have the tactics sorted to box the bigger man, which was a shame as I have followed Adams from first appearance in the contender and he comes over as a decent man. That said he has heart, is a game fighter and a solid chin - he's never been put down and Charlo caught him with his best shops on a few occasions.

GGG and Alverez should be on alert. Charlo is a hard hitting, granite chinned abnormality for the weight and will give them a rung for their money. He's already claiming they are both ducking him. He's not the finished product, like his brother, but he's one to watch,

AS for Adams, if he drops down to 154 which is his proper weight, he'll cause waves. He just isn't big enough at 174 and doesn't have the power to stop the big boys.
WHU Independent

Re: Boxing Thread

Watched the Andrade V's Sulecki main bout and undercard last night.

The undercard was again terrible, with British champion Khalid Yafai looking very pedestrian against an opponent, who was slippery but unimpressive. Yafai is currently the longest reigning British champion to currently hold a belt but if he meets someone with a bit more skill and power, he could well be in trouble.

The Andrade fight was a farce. Sulecki was very game and obviously has some good boxing skills, but against such an unorthodox, unpredictable and show boater that is Andrade, he had no chance. True Sulecki, survived a first round knock down, but he could not deal with Andrades antics. Imagine Prince Nazeem crossed with Chris Eubank and then add a bent at the waist, head out the way, crabby counter punching style , with agricultural hooks and a massive amount of below the belt bending to avoid being punched - and you have Andrade.

Boo Boo (as Andrade) is known, wants Alvevez an/or GGG and even Charlo for his next match, but when he eventually comes up against someone who can punch hard, move and knows their angles, he's gonna be in trouble.

Oh and coming into the ring wearing a wolfs mask ... please!
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

stu1 wrote:Surely Thurman should be dispatching of Pac relatively comfortably now?
Did you see 'One Time (he fights a year)' Thurmans last fight? The Riverside Rocky had him in trouble on a number of occasions, I expect Manny to surprise a few, hes looked decent since coming back.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Jumby wrote: Did you see 'One Time (he fights a year)' Thurmans last fight? The Riverside Rocky had him in trouble on a number of occasions, I expect Manny to surprise a few, hes looked decent since coming back.
Tbf I haven’t seen much of Thurman and I know he’s had a lot of injury problems, but how old is Pac now 42 or something?

Many thought Pac was past by the Mayweather fight (he sure looked it), if Thurman has any hopes of becoming the man at welterweight again he should be comfortably beating Pac (not saying he will though).
WHU Independent

Wider V Fury 2 date supposedly agreed - date to follow.
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

22nd Feb according to Fury
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Assume it’s stateside?
Cambs Iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Cambs Iron »

stu1 wrote:Assume it’s stateside?
Not confirmed where but it will be in the US.
Supreme
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Supreme »

Dubois v Gorman tomorrow night for the British title. Should be a good, domestic dust up.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Supreme wrote:Dubois v Gorman tomorrow night for the British title. Should be a good, domestic dust up.
Good fight, but I don’t think it will be good to watch

Got a feeling it’s going to be a stinker
WHU Independent

Just watched the Khan card.

What a piece of crap.

Watched an English Guy called Prince Ali or similar lose EVERY round to his opponent. He stood there with his gloves up, and tucked into his stomach and hardly threw a punch. No footwork or no head movement. Time to give it up Prince as you couldn't beat the boys down Peacocks Gym, let alone experienced world Champions.

H. Fury V's Peter - you could see from the moment Peter entered the ring he was unfit - fat basically. Fury jabbed him off most of the time, but then Peter tried to spoil it with punching after the break, deliberate low blows and general roughhouse tactics. Fury should have been able to box his head off but the fight quickly become a fiasco. It ended in a shambles with Peter saying he had hurt his shoulder as the ref separated him from Fury, despite Peter punched the ref in the face and busting his nose in the process. IMHO Peter should have been D/Q'ed earlier.

This fight shows that H Fury isn't ready for the big boys yet. BUT - he was in great shape, his jab looked sharp (initially) and he didn't flounder so fair play to him.

Khan V's Dib - seriously? Khan fights a guy that fights two weights below him for 7Mill in Saudi and beats him in 4 shocker. He was too fast, too powerful and too good all round for Dib, who never stood a chance. It shows that Khan certainly still has the hand speed and the movement, but with very little punishment coming his way, it was nothing more than a well paid work out for Khan. Still you can only beat who is put n front of you and it was another W for Khan.

The best part of the whole night was Duke Mackenzies summary. Honest, professional, informed and straight talking ("Peter's injury looked feigned, Fury is far from the finished article, Prince whatever was outclassed and Khan had nothing more than a good workout") -it was a joy to hear crystal clear analysis.

I watched the whole card for the Italian base boxing yesterday but t was so dreadful I can't even bring myself to write about it, apart from the fact that an English guy had the fight lost until late in the fight whereupon he knocked his opponent spark out and clinched the W.
westhamdave1

Post by westhamdave1 »

Supreme wrote:Dubois v Gorman tomorrow night for the British title. Should be a good, domestic dust up.
No doubt in my mind that DDD will win tonight and go on to land my bet ....

Skybet go 5/1 for Dubois to hold at least one WORLD Championship belt by 1st Jan 2021
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Just read that Pernell Whitaker lost his life in an unfortunate accident. He was struck by a car while crossing the road. Great boxer in his day. Hall of Famer. RIP Sweet Pea.
aboooooooooo
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by aboooooooooo »

Decent fight i thought. DDD looks very capable, and far more pleasing on the eye that the Joyce fight which was on before. Think he may struggle a little with his character and "marketability". He hasnt got AJ's charisma, but looks a very good fighter with fast heavy hands.

My fear for him is that he becomes (if not already) Franks cash cow and that the pressure on him may build and build, not from the public but from his own stable.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Khan vs Pac Man 8th November in Saudi Arabia, money, money, money
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Great card tonight:

- Another big win for Dillian Whyte who should finally get he’s world title shot, absolute disgrace that’s he’s been ranked number 1 for over 600 days with the WBC without getting a chance.
- Great performance by David Price. Guy has all the tools, just no chin! Boxed well tonight. Fingers crossed that Dave Allen is ok after being taken to hospital post bout.
- Superb 2nd round knockout by Del Chisora against a Pole who made life difficult for Deontay Wilder.

Special mention to Charlie Duffield, a big hammer who came up short against Dan Azeez. Suffered a nasty eye swelling within the first 30 seconds and could never get a foothold in the fight.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Great effort from Pac Man last night to outwork and outmove Keith Thurman over 12 rounds.

He’s ruled out fighting Khan incidentally.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Pacquaio Thurman - wow. What a great fight that was, Pacquaio is incredible at his age to be doing what he is doing to guys far younger than him who should be approaching their prime.

I would love to see him fight either Spence or Crawford
Patito

Post by Patito »

Morocco Mole wrote: Great effort from Pac Man last night to outwork and outmove Keith Thurman over 12 rounds.
He put on a clinic :thup:
Morocco Mole wrote: He’s ruled out fighting Khan incidentally.
Good!
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Nesticles wrote:Pacquaio Thurman - wow. What a great fight that was, Pacquaio is incredible at his age to be doing what he is doing to guys far younger than him who should be approaching their prime.

I would love to see him fight either Spence or Crawford
I wonder how exactly he might be achieving this remarkable level of youthfulness...