The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by dodger »

Surprised so many are happy to let Lanzini go for relative peanuts in today’s market (heard a couple say about 20 million in this thread),

He can still be an excellent player for us. Let’s not forget that when he got injured he was about to play in a World Cup for Argentina and was generally considered in our top two or three players. He had a mixed return, but he only had a few months back after being out for almost a year. I’d back him to do very well working under Pellets after a full preseason of preparation.
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

waynepin wrote:if we have only got 750,000 for byram it just goes to prove how crap we are at buying and selling, we overpay all the time and undersell, how ever did Sullivan make money
The fee reflects the risk of signing a player who has had numerous injuries and barely played in the past 3 seasons. When we signed him he looked like a good prospect and had played 130 games for Leeds over the previous 4 seasons...it's just typical West Ham that he became a perma-crock soon after joining us
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:stevey

I don't know different but if you look earlier when I posted, Swansea turned down 15M for Oli McBurnie and want 20M

he played @ Barnsley and admittedly scored 9 in 17, but he has hardly had a stellar loan career.

Bristol Rovers, Newport County, Chester.

scored 22 in 58 @ Swansea but then went to Barnsley, B.R. and Newport.

20M

Abraham scored 25 in 37 at Villa, 5 in 31 @ Swansea and 23 in 41 @ Bristol City.

so I can see upwards of 30+M
Well, it remains to be seen. The difference is McBurnie is vital to Swansea's first-team and they won't want to lose him. Abraham, at present, is a reserve at Chelsea at best and the player himself may want to leave for first-team football. Also, despite his stats, I'm not convinced Abraham is that super highly rated - as perhaps illustrated by some of the other comments on here. Personnaly, I'm surprised more teams aren't interested in him. Maybe.

Anyway, we'll see!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1962 likes
Total likes: 1649 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Dodge

if he is happy to sign a new contract, no problem.

from what we can gather he doesn't want to resign an extension and is taking legal action. we don't know for sure.

also remember that in January he can negotiate with teams outside England on a Bosman depending of course on what takes place re the extension

that's the only reason I would sanction move.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

stevey

as you'll see, I don't see what everyone sees in Abraham but........

again I posted that ManU are hoping to get Longstaff for around 40-50M and to me he's done even less.

that's the market the paper says.
dodger

Post by dodger »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Dodge

if he is happy to sign a new contract, no problem.

from what we can gather he doesn't want to resign an extension and is taking legal action. we don't know for sure.

also remember that in January he can negotiate with teams outside England on a Bosman depending of course on what takes place re the extension

that's the only reason I would sanction move.
I am skeptical that Lanzini, a guy who is extremely thankful to the club for the support he received after his serious injury, would take legal action against the club about ending his contract.

But yes, if the scenario you suggest is true then that ties our hands.

I’d be looking to give him the contract he deserves and see him develop further at West Ham. It’s not like we don’t have room in the wage budget.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

dodger wrote:Surprised so many are happy to let Lanzini go for relative peanuts in today’s market (heard a couple say about 20 million in this thread),

He can still be an excellent player for us. Let’s not forget that when he got injured he was about to play in a World Cup for Argentina and was generally considered in our top two or three players. He had a mixed return, but he only had a few months back after being out for almost a year. I’d back him to do very well working under Pellets after a full preseason of preparation.
I think he’s always been quite overrated. I don’t think he’s a bad player at all, but I think many want to believe that he’s better than he actually is. £20m for a player who has been inconsistent, has been out for a year with a bad injury, is going into the last year of his contract and possibly will not be getting into our strongest XI next season - I’d be happy with that if it meant strengthening elsewhere.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

I think the word was he was taking "legal advice" not "legal action"... they're a bit different! :wink:
I am Legend
Has liked: 1589 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Its mental seeing people say that we should get rid of Lanzini... The bloke has been fantastic for us at times and is nearing full fitness. The man will be 100% better player with better players around him like Anderson, Fornals, Yarmolenko and possibly Haller. Did no one else watch him for Argentina?? With good movement and passers around him he looked in his rightful place along side people like Messi, Aguero etc.

Give him the contract he wants and keep him here for as long as he's willing to stay. He'll only be willing to stay if we improve and so far under Pellers we are improving. Could be a huge year for us and Lanzini.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Dodge

not sure it's taking legal action against the club per se.

maybe just in the case of there being maybe a loophole or something that allows him to break the extension and sign a new deal at a higher rate.

it has all gone quiet on that front to be honest. but as I say, if he feels he can get the thing broken (so to speak) he can walk away for free in January - well can leave in the summer but negotiate in January to leave at which stage we might just have to take pennies on the dollar for him then.

to be honest I don't see us getting anywhere close to 20M for him - 7-10 considering he's been out for so long would be about the going rate I reckon and if he gets ruling in his favour and wants to go, 3M tops in Jan.
dodger

Post by dodger »

It seems I have a lot more faith in Lanzini’s ability than some on here.

If he does leave, I’d back him to thrive elsewhere and show us what a mistake we’ll have made,
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Dodge

I am not questioning his ability at all.

merely putting it that he might/could/would walk away for nowt next summer.......

depending on whether he gets the correct legal advice that would see him not sign an extension.

we have 6 players available for 2 slots and therefore we could let 2 players go and sign the BBM that we need.

that's all I have said.
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

I am Legend wrote:Its mental seeing people say that we should get rid of Lanzini... The bloke has been fantastic for us at times
We’ve signed Fornals who plays in a similar position so it’s not THAT mental. And as you said, ‘at times’; he blows a bit hot and cold for me and may not impact games from his position as much as he should.

If a contract extension can’t be arranged then we have to sell. We can’t afford to let any of our players, important to the squad or not, run down their contracts and leave for free.
dodger

Post by dodger »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Dodge

I am not questioning his ability at all.

merely putting it that he might/could/would walk away for nowt next summer.......

depending on whether he gets the correct legal advice that would see him not sign an extension.

we have 6 players available for 2 slots and therefore we could let 2 players go and sign the BBM that we need.

that's all I have said.
Not you mate. But just look at previous posts and you’ll see the ‘some’ I was referring to.

As I said, the club should give him the contract he deserves, instead of fiddling around with what his current contract actually means. That would be an end to this nonsense and mean hopefully he’s with us for the long term, but that even if we did sell him, it would be for his actual market value rather than a ridiculous knock-down price.
dodger

Post by dodger »

HammerAl wrote:
We’ve signed Fornals who plays in a similar position so it’s not THAT mental. And as you said, ‘at times’; he blows a bit hot and cold for me and may not impact games from his position as much as he should.
How many times have you seen Fornals play?
How many times has he played in the Premier League?

Fornals might be a great player for us, but he might not adapt to the game here.
Lanzini has already been a great player for us, is still young, and has shown he can play in this league.
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

loftyboy wrote:750k for Byram is a steal for someone in this current market. Not Premier League quality really but would do a very good job in the top half of the Championship

Host of clubs being mentioned including a collapsed move to Wigan and return to Preston. I'll take a guess at Forest.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

dodger wrote:Surprised so many are happy to let Lanzini go for relative peanuts in today’s market (heard a couple say about 20 million in this thread),

He can still be an excellent player for us. .
I certainly wouldn't! Think the world of him as a player and his development had only been stunted suddenly by a bad injury. He'll come good again and be worth big money. I'd nail him down to an improved contract from some of the extra money we've scraped together recently, not sell him for a much more modest figure anytime soon.
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

dodger - I’ve not missed a game that Lanzini has played for us since we moved

On his day he’s a joy to watch & one of my favourites, BUT I will be honest and admit that if we get a bid of over 25 million for him, I honestly think we’d be wise to think about it. I can see the logic in it.

Contract length, his previous injury, hot & cold form, options in that position versus elsewhere.

I don’t want him to go, but I wouldn’t be devastated or shocked if he did.
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

dodger wrote:How many times have you seen Fornals play?
How many times has he played in the Premier League?

Fornals might be a great player for us, but he might not adapt to the game here.
Lanzini has already been a great player for us, is still young, and has shown he can play in this league.
Seen Fornals play 7 or 8 times, what about you? And I think you know the answer to your second question.

He may not adapt, but I trust MP to bring in a player who he believes will suit the league and our team. I also can’t see us paying £25m for a player who won’t start. The bigger teams can do it but we can’t afford to.

Selling a player who won’t commit to a new contract, to fund the strengthening of other position isn’t too crazy, really.
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

IF Lanzini hadn’t had his awful injury and IF he wasn’t going into the last year of his contract, then I’d imagine we could get more than £20m for him. You have to also consider the fact that we are AWFUL at selling players for the appropriate fees. Look how much we sold Payet and Arnie for.