PSF: West Ham Utd 1-4 Manchester City (17/07/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Re: West Ham United v Manchester City: Asia Trophy Match Thread

Post by hammer1975 »

Would rather lose this and win the season opener .....

Same issues remain defensively....
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

hammer1975 wrote:Would rather lose this and win the season opener .....

Same issues remain defensively....
Won't change unless we get better defenders and full-on sitting boring defensive midfielder
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The front 4 and Fred looked very good in the part I saw (most of the first half) - the rest less so .
comebackjoecole

Post by comebackjoecole »

https://www.mancity.com/citytv/match-hi ... highlights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Well I predicted 0-4. So I wasn't far out. As others have said, same old deficiencies on show. Sad to say but I think this will be pretty much the same score on first day of the season. : Headbanger
WTID
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by WTID »

I’m a bit more optimistic ok we lost 4-1. But the chances we created if we actually had someone who could finish the score line would’ve been a lot different. Hopefully we can get Haller up and running for the first game.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Thought Oggy was dog ***** again
continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

comebackjoecole wrote:https://www.mancity.com/citytv/match-hi ... highlights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guess it's no surprise that the City highlights don't show the Fredericks non-penalty incident
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Diop likes to get out and close the defender down... but he can only do that if he has a partner that stays where he should to cover. I remember reading that's how his partnership worked at his old club, and that's how it works with Balbuena. It doesn't work with Ogbonna as he also likes rushing out of position. It leaves big gaps and makes them look a bit like headless chickens. Also, there's the possibility that he's better on the left of defence despite being right-footed. Reid was also better on the left of defence but he was also shunted over to the right to make way for Ogbonna.

Fredericks is looking very good on the right, and Johnson is showing good potential so that's a positive.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

thank god haller signed before this
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote:Diop likes to get out and close the defender down... but he can only do that if he has a partner that stays where he should to cover. I remember reading that's how his partnership worked at his old club, and that's how it works with Balbuena. It doesn't work with Ogbonna as he also likes rushing out of position. It leaves big gaps and makes them look a bit like headless chickens. Also, there's the possibility that he's better on the left of defence despite being right-footed. Reid was also better on the left of defence but he was also shunted over to the right to make way for Ogbonna.

Fredericks is looking very good on the right, and Johnson is showing good potential so that's a positive.
Burnley

the Silva goal had nothing to do with closing down players and/or being out of position

he got caught ball watching and completely lost sight of Silva who got in behind him and scored.

happened loads of times last season too. can't blame that one on Oggie I am afraid....

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4:55
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

I stay with the positive ones: Roberto looks good.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

There was no chance of anything other than a Man City win, we need to understand that these sorts of junkets are all about increasing revenue from the Chinese / SE Asian market.

West Ham, Wolves, Newcastle are there because they have had some money chucked at them to take part but it really is all about City's superstars.
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

^^^^^^^
Spot on Kialos :thup:
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

While Kialos is right, yesterday did show a few things of note. Firstly Sanchez needs to go yesterday. Anderson is class, and if Wilshere stays healthy we have a brilliant player. We do need a second defensive midfielder for playing against the likes of Man City and Liverpool and even Wolves and Everton.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Universidad-de-Chile wrote:I stay with the positive ones: Roberto looks good.
You're kidding right?

Gets done at his near post, doesn't spread himself well enough for any of the other goals and punches shots straight into the danger area. Not a good keeper in my view and no better than Adrian who at least was a good shotstopper and got down to smother better. Just hope Fab remains fit all year.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Colours never run wrote:You take out both Sanchez and Ogbonna in the side and we improve immeasurably. Hopefully both can be upgraded before the windows out, or at least buried as 4th choice players with little opportunity of playing time due to the likes of Reid returning successfully from injury and our other Midfielders (possibly Cullen?) step up to the mark, ideally 1 quality DM brought in. They're not to be relied upon for any great stretch though, if we are serious about challenging for Cups and Europe this season.
Agree colours but Balbuena will be back soon and we have Rice for Sanchez.

Thankfully Sanchez put in another awful performance which means hopefully he will be playing for the U23's this year because in no way should he be anywhere near the first team .. or bench ... I watched it again last night and when he came on he was a joke. Not only did he continuously give the ball away, but he didn't tackle anyone at any time, got caught in possession and generally just jogged around whilst others were sprinting and looked like a fish out of water.

I'd be surprised if we cold sell him for free let alone get money for the useless twat.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

usual scoreline but with a few new players we may be closer on august 10th.

sanchez - awful but he is going no where as he is 35 and on big wages. he has one year left on contract so no idiot will buy him. I would rather we played Cullen instead of him. the only player not to get on apart from martin.

ogbonna - was his usual shaky self. we do need to upgrade as not good enough. Talk of marzipan coming in would be what is needed.

reid - good to see him back in the shirt. lets hope he has an injury free season and gets back to where he was.

midfield - at one point we had obiang and sanchez in the middle. no chance against most teams with those two in there. we need another CDM asap. cuellar, kessie or haydon must be signed for this important part of the team.

hernandez - his usual useless self. offers nothng to the team. sell for 8m asap.

anderson - looks in the mood this season. we have some player there. hopefully him and haller hit it off asap.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Burnley

the Silva goal had nothing to do with closing down players and/or being out of position

he got caught ball watching and completely lost sight of Silva who got in behind him and scored.

happened loads of times last season too. can't blame that one on Oggie I am afraid....

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4:55
I agree. That was totally Diops fault, as was another goal. He's lacking a bit of sharpness. My post was more of an overall view though rather than a view from this one game, based on the whole of last season.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

in an ideal world we would shift ogbonna obiang sanchez and haernandez