The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

funky chicken
Has liked: 188 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by funky chicken »

It's all well and good for some of our supporters to say we don't need another centre half as Balbuena and Diop are our first choice pairing. But you are all missing the point. They are our first choice pairing 'when they are available'.

That is a dangerous game to assume they will be available for EVERY League game. Especially if you are aware of our appalling record of keeping our players fit and free from injury.

Balbuena has already had a long period of time out injured last season and looked what happened. The moment Ogbonna was in the team our form tailed off, we conceded on average far more goals and Diop himself even went backwards, switching off making mistakes leading to goals.

Are we honestly all sitting comfortably believing Ogbonna and Reid are good enough to come in should Balbuena &/or Diop are missing!? The thought of that ever happening will give me sleepless nights!

And Rice also shouldn't have to be moved back to centre half to cover. He has made his position his own in midfield. Unless you would like the reliable Carlos Sanchez to get more playing time? :P
S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 1582 likes
Total likes: 2732 likes

Post by S-H »

funky chicken wrote: Are we honestly all sitting comfortably believing Ogbonna and Reid are good enough to come in should Balbuena &/or Diop are missing!? The thought of that ever happening will give me sleepless nights!

As back up defenders go, I'd say Ogbonna and Reid are pretty decent options, best than most clubs in and around us.

I'm more than comfortable to go into the season with Diop, Balbuena, Reid and Ogbonna as our centre back options.

Having a solid more compact midfield in front of them will make all the difference, which is why signing a decent midfielder to partner Rice should be a priority.
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

If any of our Dutch posters read this...what's your opinion of Teun Koopmeiners?

I have seen him play a couple of times and I think he is good and would do a job for West Ham.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 366 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Statistically last season, Rice and Hayden weren't all that different:

Rice per 90 - tackles, 2.9; interception, 1.5; clearances, 1.6; blocks, 0.4
Hayden per 90 - tackles, 2.9; interception, 1.6; clearances, 1.1; blocks, 0.2

Where they had a more significant difference is in passing stats - Hayden averaged 79.4% success with 28.8 passes per 90, against Rice's 86.4% success with 44.6 passes per 90. There's certainly a tactical element to that - we averaged 49% possession last season against Newcastle's 42.9%, but it's worth noting that Hayden's historical pass completions are also around the 79/80% level.

I can see why we'd get him to support Rice and offer competition. Rice needs a bit of a push to make sure he keeps developing, and he sure as heck isn't going to get that from Sanchez (no matter how much I think the latter was unlucky last season with his injury, his history doesn't suggest he's got a strong future ahead of him).

Plus, Hayden is relatively young and English.

In an ideal world, I think one of Cullen, Coventry or Powell would push on - but are they really going to be considered as competition for Rice?
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 447 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Het-Field wrote:Morelos would do well in England and under somebody like Pelly. A club like Rangers is simply no good for a volatile temperament and he’d be better moving.

How many times would we be down to 10 men with Morelos in the side ?

And Rangers wouldn't be giving him away for nothing there's talk of a £20m price tag .

p.s. Just read that Ex has posted we could get him for as little as £5m ?

Hmmmm .
Last edited by The Old Man of Storr on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 178 likes
Total likes: 97 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

funky chicken wrote:It's all well and good for some of our supporters to say we don't need another centre half as Balbuena and Diop are our first choice pairing. But you are all missing the point. They are our first choice pairing 'when they are available'.

That is a dangerous game to assume they will be available for EVERY League game. Especially if you are aware of our appalling record of keeping our players fit and free from injury.

Balbuena has already had a long period of time out injured last season and looked what happened. The moment Ogbonna was in the team our form tailed off, we conceded on average far more goals and Diop himself even went backwards, switching off making mistakes leading to goals.

Are we honestly all sitting comfortably believing Ogbonna and Reid are good enough to come in should Balbuena &/or Diop are missing!? The thought of that ever happening will give me sleepless nights!

And Rice also shouldn't have to be moved back to centre half to cover. He has made his position his own in midfield. Unless you would like the reliable Carlos Sanchez to get more playing time? :P

Yep, that's a decent set of center backs for me. Ogbonna seems to have become a bit of a hate figure for some, unjustly I think. More of a concern to me is whether Reid can regain any kind of form and fitness given the length of time that he has been out.

It takes time for a center back pairing to gel and form a partnership, and given that 2 of ours were new to the club last season and one of them was a relative youngster, that was understandable.

With the exception of Reid who was never available, they all made mistakes last season, some of them costly, and hopefully they will collectively be better for that this season.

Better defensive support from our midfield is more important than upgrading our center backs.
Irrons
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Irrons »

Hayden isn't guaranteed to be let go by Newcastle and he's worked under Bruce before at Hull which could tempt him to stay. May be a slight upgrade on Obiang but it's not the sort of signing you'd get excited about. And he had a bit of a shocker against Wolves yesterday; guilty for one of their goals just like Sanchez was...I mean I wouldn't be unhappy if we brought him in just that there must be better options out there
Last edited by Irrons on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

EastBrisHammer wrote:If any of our Dutch posters read this...what's your opinion of Teun Koopmeiners?

I have seen him play a couple of times and I think he is good and would do a job for West Ham.
talented? yes. ready for the PL? not sure. Technically i think he fits the bill, but if he can keep up with the pace of the english game, i'm not so sure yet.
Aceface
Has liked: 147 likes
Total likes: 596 likes

Post by Aceface »

I don’t know enough about it to say with any certainty, but it would be a definite possibility that if Hayden notched the same or slightly worse stats as Rice while playing for a team that spent large parts of the season on bus-parking manoeuvres, it actually illustrates that he’s not nearly as good as Rice is.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Het-Field »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:

How many times would we be down to 10 men with Morelos in the side ?

And Rangers wouldn't be giving him away for nothing there's talk of a £20m price tag .

p.s. Just read that Ex has posted we could get him for as little as £5m ?

Hmmmm .
He wouldn’t come cheap, but he has been a regular Goalscorer and a Colombian international. As such £5 million would be unbelievable. I’d still expect more. I think you can bargain with Scottish clubs due to their different standing. Also, I feel he would be pilloried by Management and other players at the first sign of a red card. The likes of Rangers are nasty where that is almost part of the territory.
Last edited by Het-Field on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammer1975
Has liked: 253 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Fornals stats for recoveries, tackles, interceptions historically are pretty much in line with Lanzini

We really need a defensive mid who can help Declan or better fullbacks. Really not buying into the mindset that we don’t need to defend because we’ll keep the ball better, think it’s effectively some form of denial! :wink:
Doyley72
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

It's a bit laughable to believe that Pellers would want to sign players like Alfredo Morelos and Mario Balotelli, when he only wants professionals who will work hard for the team and not be a potential problem in the dressing room.

I think we might be short up front, but i suppose it depends on his plans for Xande Silva.

It would make sense to move Chica on as we will get a fee for him. He is on big wages and only a year left.

But if we do move him on, who to replace him?

Carlos Sánchez isn't good enough imo, and if we do move Obaing, then we need a good defensive midfielder to help Rice out. Isaac Hayden isn't the answer, we need some experience in there. Gary Medel has that and the toughness to add some steel, a warrior. Also another leader.

Left back could be a problem. Cresswell hasn't been the same for a while now, but Pellers does seem to have faith in Ben Johnson, who can play either right or left, so maybe he won't strengthen the full backs in this window.

Centre Backs worry me...Diop and Balbuena work perfectly. Diop listens to the General and they are a strong combination. But Oggy isn't good enough and it shows. Can't play with either Diop of Balbuena and has to be moved on. We can still get a good wedge for him. Reid is just not an option. Way past his best. Very poor defender who spends most of his time on the floor.

We need another centre back, maybe two....i would get Guillermo Maripán in now, before his price increases more...if we are keeping Oxford, then he can be the fourth choice. I know that Aji Alese (although only 18) is being mentioned a lot at the moment and is in the England set up. Maybe too early and could be loaned out, but if not, get him training with the first team to learn from the likes of Zab/ Balbuena.

So if Chica goes, then a new forward please...but no clowns like Morelos....full backs, we have cover for now...centre backs, get Maripán in, clear out Oggy/Reid (if anyone will have him), defensive midfield, get rid of Sánchez, bring in Medel or the like....no more talk of Hayden..

Just my two pennies worth... :thup:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 447 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Reserve Striker - what happened to Everton's Henry Onyekuru - pretty sure we were interested at one time , still only 22 .
Italian Hammer
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

Regarding Morelos at Rangers, take a look at this and make up your own mind about his disciplinary record:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems to have been targeted and booked/sent off a bit harshly on several occasions imo.

Could become a bit of a cult hero here
e-20
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by e-20 »

Aceface wrote:I don’t know enough about it to say with any certainty, but it would be a definite possibility that if Hayden notched the same or slightly worse stats as Rice while playing for a team that spent large parts of the season on bus-parking manoeuvres, it actually illustrates that he’s not nearly as good as Rice is.
Me too, but one can also add that we judge a 20 year old establishing himself with a potential and improvement factor that takes into consideration there is still much improvement to be made. Thus we would expect his stats will be on an improvement curve in future years and this raises expectations and overall judgements. Can't make any comment on Hayden in this regard other than to say he is unlikely to be on the same curve so we have to be careful about stats alone.

Whether overall however Hayden would be a worthwhile recruit I can't say, don't know enough about him, so will leave it to others.
Doyley72
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

funky chicken wrote:It's all well and good for some of our supporters to say we don't need another centre half as Balbuena and Diop are our first choice pairing. But you are all missing the point. They are our first choice pairing 'when they are available'.

Spot on Funky Chicken....couldn't agree more...
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 565 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

I think Ogbonna's ok to be honest, I think he and Diop both suffer from occasional lapses in concentration which hurts us, but then that was the case with Collins and he was still a very able deputy. The question mark is over Reid. If he gets back to where he was, he's our best centre-back. He and Diop are genuinely a top 4 partnership in theory, but it may not happen.

As has been mentioned, I think the one area we are really light at present is some energy in the centre of midfield. Lanzini, Snodgrass, Wilshere, Noble, Fornals are all good players, but none are capable of deputising for Rice. As I said earlier, someone like Lemina, Schneiderlein, Wanyama, Sanson would make a huge difference.

With Snodgrass, Diangana, Fornals and Lanzinin able to cover the wide berths, Antonio and Silva can provide cover for Hernandez and Haller. The biggest weakness in my opinion is still central midfield and at full-back. But then that's been the case for years and years.
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 239 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

Makesi is always included in our squad lists and I believe he's a DM. Cullen surely needs to be a back-up this season or we may as well sell him as he's 23.

Coventry could do a Diangana and feature a bit, coming off the bench with fresh legs.

I swear we had a 16 year old just sign a new contract and he's a highly rated CB. Shove him in the first team squad to learn from Reid/Ogbonna, seasoned internationals.

I think we could rely on our youth to fill those gaps in our squad until January. Then if the worst happens and we lost one of those positions we could reassess.

Our first team weaknesses are at full back, and I'd love to see up with the ambition to bring in a Tierney, but we probably dont have the funds...
vaz te's bonnet
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by vaz te's bonnet »

Makasi was let go at the end of the season. I would like to see Coventry get a try just to see where he is at in his development.

The issue with Ogbonna is he just struggles to build a partnership with the other guys in our defence. When its diop and balbuena, Masuaku looks world class as does fredericks. When ogbonna is in they give me nightmares. I think him and obiang should be the next out with replacements lined up but who knows
Irrons
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Irrons »

Italian Hammer wrote:Regarding Morelos at Rangers, take a look at this and make up your own mind about his disciplinary record:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems to have been targeted and booked/sent off a bit harshly on several occasions imo.

Could become a bit of a cult hero here
Yea got a number of yellows just for getting fouled...some genuine red card incidents but seems to be targeted by both opposition players and refs. His reaction to players trying to wind him up is something he needs to iron out of his tho game for sure
Last edited by Irrons on Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.