The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by YorksHammer »

Morelos is an utter fool.
The Old Man of Storr wrote:Reserve Striker - what happened to Everton's Henry Onyekuru - pretty sure we were interested at one time , still only 22 .
Still a work permit issue, I believe - not made enough International appearances (I think he's had 10 in the past two years, based on Wikipedia) or similar.

Last I heard he'd turned down a move to CSKA Moscow, but there was interest from Napoli.
Patito

Post by Patito »

EastVillageHammer wrote:
I swear we had a 16 year old just sign a new contract and he's a highly rated CB. Shove him in the first team squad to learn from Reid/Ogbonna, seasoned internationals.
Amadou Diallo - he’s a winger/forward though
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Ogbonna and Reid are better in a 3. With attacking FBs they are left very exposed.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Are Marseille still in a financial bind? Shouldn't we try to exploit that and situation together with the money still owed on Payet?
Northammer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Northammer »

Italian Hammer wrote:Regarding Morelos at Rangers, take a look at this and make up your own mind about his disciplinary record:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems to have been targeted and booked/sent off a bit harshly on several occasions imo.

Could become a bit of a cult hero here
Some poor decisions in there (from referees, but also the player himself).
Sherbet Dab
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by Sherbet Dab »

Italian Hammer wrote:Regarding Morelos at Rangers, take a look at this and make up your own mind about his disciplinary record:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems to have been targeted and booked/sent off a bit harshly on several occasions imo.

Could become a bit of a cult hero here
Watched the vid, my feeling is a perfect storm of feeling hard done by, opposition players smelling the blood of a young hot head and Scottish referees....
I'd only put him at 1.75 on the Boogers scale :arry:
Could be a top player if taken under the wing of Pellers.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Apparent £10m budget left, although I would imagine that’s being downplayed and there’s actually a bit more available. The owners aren’t going to come out and say there’s £50m left in the budget!

Out:
Cresswell (£5m)
Ogbonna (£7.5m)
Obiang (£8m)
Cullen (£1m)
Browne (£1m)
Hugill (£3m)
Oxford (£3m)

In:
Left back
Maripan / Alvarez (£15m)
Sanson / Wanyama (£20m)

It’s probably also worth looking into letting Hernandez go before his contract runs down next season. Bring in a cheaper striker more suited to our game plan.

I know it wont happen, but that really would leave us in such a good position.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

bang goes us qualifying for the europa league through the fair play award if we sign morelos :-)
Redkanpps dog

Post by Redkanpps dog »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:How many times would we be down to 10 men with Morelos in the side ?

And Rangers wouldn't be giving him away for nothing there's talk of a £20m price tag .

p.s. Just read that Ex has posted we could get him for as little as £5m ?

Hmmmm .
2 of my mates are Rangers fans and said that they recently knocked back a bid of over 10m for Morelos so not sure where Ex has got 5m from. They also think he'd smash it in the Prem and think he was unfairly targeted last season. TBH i'm not sure about the unfairly targeted comments because most Rangers fans claim they are victims of the Scottish bias towards to Celtic and so nothing is ever their fault haha.
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

Relevant as we've been linked with him:

Daniel Sturridge: Former Liverpool striker banned for breaching betting rules

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49031533

:lol:
artlin

Post by artlin »

Where did the Joao Pirhanha story come from??
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Is Morelos any good at holding the ball up? given that every other striker Pellegrini has seemingly wanted us to go for has that attribute. Never seen him play, but he seems to not be the biggest.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

i'm not sure another forward is a priority...

put our best 11 on paper...left back and right back are our weakest links unfortunately, and we've all been saying so for a few years

cast your minds back to games last season...how many times i was screaming for arthur to pick his man up, when he kept drifting infield...wolves away last season the classic example, where arthur was targeted, rice was forced across to help, leaving a massive chasm that wolves exploited

you can have a £50m striker, but dont address these things and we will still end up getting walloped by plenty of teams, even average ones that are well drilled, with a good game plan

hopefully a settled back 4 will help us...keep everyone fit and eveyone will know their job, but this is west ham...we seem to be plagued with injuries, so we need players who can slot in, and know their role
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

...as for forwards we have haller & hernandez...but antonio is hugely effective up front, as is yarmalenko...we have 4 there that can all play that role, and i anticipate they might, depending on who we are playing...

goals arent going to be an issue...
Longaz
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

Doyley72 wrote:Reid is just not an option. Way past his best. Very poor defender who spends most of his time on the floor.
After such a long time out it's hard to know if Reid will be the same player he previously was, but to say he's a very poor defender simply isn't true. To judge him in 2 pre season friendlies after a year and a half out is a bit harsh too. This time last year people were up in arms about Collins leaving but Collins was never as good a defender as Reid. This will be Reid's tenth year at the club, he has earnt the right to at least have a chance to prove himself this season after so long out.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

I'm shocked people think having two strikers in the squad is enough.

Ok Antonio can do a job up front in some games, but we certainly shouldn't be classifying him as a striker, he's much more effective from out wide.

Hernandez is only suited to certain games, I'm sure most people can see that i.e. not away from home or in games where we have little of the ball.

If we start the season with only Haller and Hernandez as our recognised strikers, we will have a gapping whole in our squad. Hernandez and Perez showed last season that have decent strikers to bring off the bench will add a decent amount of points to your total.

We can't start the season one injury away from not having a senior striker on the bench and potentially being forced to play Hernandez in games where he is completely ineffective.

It's absolutely mental to think we don't need another striker :? if anything we could do with another two, although I accept Antonio will probably be our 4th choice/cover striker.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 671 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Turns to Stone wrote:

With Snodgrass, Diangana, Fornals and Lanzinin able to cover the wide berths, Antonio and Silva can provide cover for Hernandez and Haller. The biggest weakness in my opinion is still central midfield and at full-back. But then that's been the case for years and years.
Spot on TTS and was for the whole of last season.

If you split the squad into attacking and defensive units, you can spot the weakness easily, Goalkeepers aside.

Essentially, (I hate the term defensive midfielders as all midfielders should be defending without the ball), we have a lack of ball wining supporting midfielders. We have Obiang, Sanchez, Rice and Noble. Obiang looks to be on his way, Noble is ok when supported by Rice if fit otherwise you have Noble and Sanchez trying to cover absent full backs.

Defensively, Diop is the best bet, supported by Balbuena. Ogbonna and Reid will always be caught in possession and put us under pressure.

At Full back, we have real issues. Fredericks picks up niggling injuries and whilst he is pick of the bunch, he isn't consistent. Zabaleta worries me to death without the ball especially given the lack of support in front of him and I would have released him in the Summer. On the other flank, Cresswell is constantly caught out by being high up the pitch and running central, followed by the high ball over his head to wingers cutting in behind him. Masuaku isn't a full back. At best he is a wing back. Defensively he is awful.

So for me, in terms of urgency it's; Left back, central ball winning midfielder with pace, right back, centre back
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

hammer1975 wrote:Is Morelos any good at holding the ball up? given that every other striker Pellegrini has seemingly wanted us to go for has that attribute. Never seen him play, but he seems to not be the biggest.
Saw him against Celtic when he got sent off after elbowing Brown - Brown is the expert wind-up merchant though but it wasn't the first time - from videos he seems to be a fox in the box type , good with head and feet - In the Scottish Premiership that is - however , he's young and an International .
Monkey Mike
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Monkey Mike »

Irrons wrote:Relevant as we've been linked with him:

Daniel Sturridge: Former Liverpool striker banned for breaching betting rules

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49031533

:lol:
Banned for 2 weeks during the close season. What's the point of that?
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

EX , [ yeah , I know ] saying we're after 2 more strikers , one is African , one he isn't naming at all [ he didn't name the African either :) ] .