PSF: West Ham Utd 0-1 Newcastle Utd (20/07/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Re: West Ham United v Newcastle United: Asia Trophy Match Thread

Post by Ironing Board »

e17 wrote: Fortunately neither matter at all.
True. Just surprised given the craziness at the Toon.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

obviously never got up to watch - way too early.... judging by the game reports glad I didn't.

not about winning or losing per se (always nice to win) but looking for signs that areas of the field have improved.

against City there were no more positives than last year's regular season games.

more famous coaches than me have always said that winning can become contagious but unfortunately so can losing.

reading the game reports show we started very slowly again. this is a sort of mentality that has to be fixed.

apologies to all those who think merely showing up is fine. pre season is about fitness, but for those hoping to make an impact and either force their way into the starting line up or making the squad - this is your chance. saying that some of these players won't be in the starting line up is all well and fine, but those players are those who should be making a statement and/or pushing the starters to perform better.

a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Burnley Hammer wrote:For a bit of perspective... how did we start preseason in Bilics good season? Or the season under Allardyce where we made a storming start with sakho and Valencia leading the line? Wasn't it in one of those seasons where we couldn't beat an Australian pub team?
In the infamous boys of 86 season we lost every single pre season game .... look what happened next ...
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: I think it's a bit more than that. This is still a fairly prestigious tournament and if it is what you say it is, then let's just go to places like Grays Athletic, Borehamwood, Billericay and Heybridge Swifts
We'd just as likely lose to them.... and the reactions on here would be far worse.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

yes but that 1st half was so poor , so off the pace , I must have face palmed and rolled my eyes more than Hernandez did and that's saying something
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

All about the Betway Cup.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Pellers OUT!
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Croydon wrote:
9/10 - Southampton
9/10 - Tottenham
6/10 - Leicester
9/10 - Manchester United
6/10 - Chelsea (second highest)
7/10 - Everton (highest)
6/10 - Huddersfield
6/10 - Cardiff (joint highest)
5/10 - Cardiff (joint second highest, believe it or not)
9/10 - Newcastle

These are Ogbonna's ratings as per Kumb's match threads for each of the last games he's participated in.

What constitutes as "the odd game"? He's never been bottom of the ratings in any of them.

Perhaps if he had a better midfield in front of him, he wouldn't end up being so exposed and under pressure as he is.
4 9 out of 10s?! Whoever did the marking needs drug testing. :lol:

The blokes mostly a shocking defender bar the odd good game and even that wouldn't get above an 8 rating.

Better midfield in front of him? The excuses for him have got to stop, he's always been like this.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Just a bit of perspective: none of our first choice back 4 were playing. Neither were our record signing and only real front man or our 3rd most expensive player, who looks a class above.
We will probably get trounced by City on opening day, but that has nothing to do with the performance in this tournament.
Hopefully Pellegrini, Husillos and the board have taken the following things from the trip to China.
1) we still need another striker.
2) we need to upgrade the left side of our defence, namely Ogbonna and Cresswell. They can’t play with each other, Diop can’t play with Ogbonna and Anderson does not play well with Cresswell. Both need to go.
3) we need to do something about Carlos Sanchez, even if it means eating the remaining £3.2m on his contract because he is using a non home grown squad space to make the team worse than if we just had 10 men.
4) Wilshere is our best player. We need to do anything and everything to keep him fit.
5) Roberto is a more than adequate back up to Fabianski.
6) Ben Johnson is the future right back.

We are 4 players away from being a top 6 club and passing Everton, Arsenal, Wolves and Man Utd.
Kieran Tierney gets us a lot closer by himself.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Puff Daddy wrote:
I think it's a bit more than that. This is still a fairly prestigious tournament and if it is what you say it is, then let's just go to places like Grays Athletic, Borehamwood, Billericay and Heybridge Swifts
In theory however, even if they are at half fitness I suspect you'll get a better work.out against City and Newcastle than that lot. You are also going to make more money and create more brand recognition in Asia (it doesn't help if you lose both games and largely play like **** true).

Plus it's a bit like the mid season sunny jolly, a chance to get the team away and together before the season starts.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Personally, I never take much note of pre season results, good or bad as it's mainly a fitness exercise which involve fitness work close to a game and the like. What it is helpful for though, is nudging the managers thoughts once more on where we still need work and clearly as has been patently obvious for some time, it's in our defence.

A new Centre Back to replace Ogbonna and new Full Backs. Johnson might be a welcome surprise that could be one of those answers but we'd still need another one to be sure the other side.

Replacing Macey Gray is also another obvious decision to make.

Suss these gaping holes in our Squad with solid replacements, then we will be laughing, instead of crying into our hands thinking, what if again in Cups/climbing further up the table.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: I think it's a bit more than that. This is still a fairly prestigious tournament and if it is what you say it is, then let's just go to places like Grays Athletic, Borehamwood, Billericay and Heybridge Swifts
Is it? Really?

The only aim of preseason, including friendlies, is fitness. The wheres/whys/whens are purely financial.

Personally I think it absolutely bonkers to put professional footballers on a plane to China after a couple of days back training from holiday and then expect 90 minutes of football from them. The injury risk feels especially high.

Would rather just go to those sorts of places and stay local, but then we don't get however much money we're paid for the Asia Trophy matches, as well as profile raising matches in China which we hope will have a financial gain to the club by selling a couple more shirts, 90% of which then goes to Umbro instead of us anyway.

Waste of time.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

wrong thread
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
more famous coaches than me
:shock: You mean there are ?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

you misread it

you thought it said "infamous."

8-)
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Look I’m fed up up with all the bllsht excuses. Wolves had a ‘new’ team, outplayed Citeh and won the tournament. I agree that this was nothing like the team we will put out in the Prem but many players were dire, particularly in providing passing options. We looked clueless, I only hope that the new signings will provide the drive we are so clearly lacking.
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3156 likes
Total likes: 2514 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

Both things are possible.

I think the tournament is a pointless competition and then pre season is mainly about fitness. I like playing different teams like Southend and teams from abroad rather than the same teams we’ll play during the season anyway.

I also think it’s bad news that we looked poor for the game against Newcastle as they are total gash and we were outplayed. But I suppose it might give some of them a kick up the bum.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Gluten for punishment that I am, I watched the Newcastle match a second time, and I picked up on some things that I didn’t see the first time. Ogbonna gave away the bill for the goal and was generally poor, but he was far from our worst player.Zabaleta, Cresswell, Yarmolenko, and Hernandez were worse, even Rice was worse for the first half hour, but by far the biggest liability was Lanzini. Lanzini gave the way the bill a lot, and every time far too easily, but the biggest negative was his total lack of pressing the opposition. Yarmolenko and Hernández were also guilty of this , but alansini literally allowed Colback, Hayden and especially Shelvey to walk around unaffected like they were having a stroll in the park.
The difference when Wilshere and a Snodgrass came on was stark. Cullen went from looking lost to looking the real deal when his midfield partners changed.
The positives were Wilshere, Anderson, And Johnson, and the second half performance of Cullen. Sanchez while still pretty crap was miles better this time. He gave away the ball once, and was easily beaten once but actually did ok the rest of the time. He was a far smaller liability than Cresswell, Lanzini, Zabaleta and Ogbonna.
Reid was decent if not anything special.
Between Fredericks and Johnson we have right back covered, but we desperately need a left back.
sxreject1
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by sxreject1 »

No one knows what Peller told them to do as in the effort to put in.

I'd rather them play at 80% or lower than have them flying about getting injured. Yes winning is contagious but if they start off getting something on the first Saturday, the insignificance of a tin pot trophy will be realised.

I'm sure Pep isn't losing any sleep over it.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Peaches - haven’t watched again but I recall him recovering the ball a few times (including a sliding challenge when Newcastle broke and Declan was struggling to get back).

Covered it on the Lanzini thread but, for me, he either needs to play CAM/support striker with two solid midfielders behind him or start in a wide role with licence to come inside. Those two positions are where he’s actually been successful for us and where his quick breaks and 1-2’s can come off. Not sure he’s ever been effective as this deeper midfielder that we seem to be trying to get him to be.