Ben Johnson

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Ben Johnson

Post by Colours never run »

Just been watching the last 15 minutes of him coming on cold at Right Back against Newcastle. And just like against Man City (twice now) 2 days earlier on the left side, I cannot help but be seriously impressed with the boy. I think he's another star in the making, I really do. Very comfortable on either foot, doesn't sell himself by going to ground easily, rarely gets beaten, gets his head up to see what's around him before making most of his passes. He's clearly pacey as f*** too.

Now I'm not overly fussed which side he ultimately nails down, I just like the fact he appears to have what it takes against Premier League opposition on either side of defence. It's very early to call it but I really do think he's another one off the conveyor belt here to stay. Wouldn't dream of loaning him out.

Anybody else convinced at this early stage, or nowhere near sure of him making it yet?
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Re: Ben Johnson

Post by hammerman11 »

early days but he is looking good. definitely worth a place on the bench and he can cover both fullbacks which are dodgy areas for us. I love a young player coming through and doing it for west ham. I hope we continue to do this but keep them and have some success with them. I don't want us to be a man city who just buy a team. fine to start with but I think the novelty is wearing off with city fans as they struggle to fill their ground and they have the best team.

players like rice diagana Johnson are our future just as much as the likes of Anderson and haller. a balance is what is required to retain the soul of a club.

fredericks and masuaka will start but I would have Johnson on the bench this season. maybe we can sell cresswell ?
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Looks a great prospect. Conscious of putting too much expectation on the lad - full back is a much harder position to get right than it looks at premier league level. He looks decent defending ‘on either foot’ but as expectations raise on him there will be an ask to add more going forward - can he cross as effectively on his left as his right? Longer term I expect him to end up on the right (which is why I think they extended Zab for one season).
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I just thought who he reminds me a little of as a Full Back, Glen Johnson! Surely not related? :lol:
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

I hope he makes it. Lets not put too much pressure on him.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

It certainly looks as if the club/coach consider him capable enough to progress from U23s ->- matchday 18 ->- first choice full back.

Like Declan, the process is more concerned with getting him on the bench/pitch than sweating too much as to the side of the pitch that he will play those minutes.

I wouldn't be surprised, if Fredericks can continue to improve (and make more routine the performances he put in at the end of last season) that they both end up first choice full backs as the season goes on.

It would certainly explain why we haven't extended ourselves in the market for LB over this present summer.
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Totally agree Prophet. :thup:
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Colours started the Declan Rice thread so this can only be a good sign.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1186 likes
Total likes: 928 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Sorry but I can't condone using drugs to win races - get rid :twisted:
NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer »

Full back is one of the most difficult roles in the modern game. You are expected to do everything and they are vital to the transition from attack/defence/counter plus having to fit into formational changes. They are frequently exposed by their midfield or centre backs but are expected to support both.
So his tactical awareness will be key. I love the idea that he's two-footed as it really bugs me that the full back role is seen as suitable for a one-sided player because you're usually near a touchline. In practice it's more important not less. How many times have you seen a one-footed fullback destroyed by a winger who simply turns them on their weaker foot? How many times do you see an attacking full back fail to put in a cross (I'm looking at you Cress) because the defender can simply block off their 'stronger' foot? Good luck to him.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1068 likes

Post by pezza20 »

The staff see Ben as this year's Declan

He is a consistent performer at U23 level and his three outings for the first team have been assured and bely his years.

Pelle sees him in bis plans this year no worries, and it helps he is two footed so can play either left or right. Also knows how to dribble and attack given he was a winger converted to fullback as was Glenn Johnson. I think Ben is a better footballer.
mattyD
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by mattyD »

mattyD wrote:On the question of fullbacks it will be interesting to see what the spuds do having lost Trippier and possibly Rose. It seems like such an important position but doesn't seem like there's many around. I think if Arthur and Fredericks can maintain consistency they're as good as anyone outside the top 4. Yes a big if but we're not gonna drop £40m on two fullbacks.
Hope B Johnson turns out as good as G Johnson - can't see it at the moment, he's got a way to go even comparative to age, but encouraging Pellers likes him. Different type of player I think, Ben seems big for a fullback. I'm thinking Maldini.
anjado
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

I thought he looked much more natural and better at right back, personally I was slightly disappointed by his performances at left back. I thought for someone who is meant to be too footed he constantly favoured his right foot I believe that led to the third goal against Man City we needed him to overlap Snodgrass but he kept cutting inside instead of attacking the space available to him he was also shrugged off the ball a couple of times in the first game.

I think his performances at left back reinforced my belief we are in desperate need to sign someone to play there. He was good at right back though and he has played some intelligent passes in both games.

I would be happy for him to be our back up right back but i am not yet convinced about his ability to perform on the left.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

He looks clever on the ball and a player that can play all across the back is golden these days. Hopefully he gets some decent game time and this can be his break through season
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1413 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Hopefully he kicks on like Rice did, as it's always nice to have someone come through the ranks.

Think he's looked raw but impressive to date. A bit of time around the squad and a gentle introduction to regular Premier League football will serve him well this season.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Could we see him starting at LB against Man City?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 1307 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

S-H wrote:Could we see him starting at LB against Man City?
Doubt it. Probably Masuaku.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1413 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Is Masuaku back from the AFCON yet? Obviously not out in China due to that. Wonder if he'll have match fitness given he's likely got an extended holiday.
Supreme
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Supreme »

YorksHammer wrote:Is Masuaku back from the AFCON yet? Obviously not out in China due to that. Wonder if he'll have match fitness given he's likely got an extended holiday.
Yes he's back, but didn't travel to the pre-season tour in China. I imagine we will see him play some part in the upcoming friendlies against Fulham/Hertha/Bilbao.

Not sure Johnson will start much this year (in the league) but wouldn't be a surprise to see him in and around the first team as back up on either flank. Hopefully he makes that breakthrough this year and then next year after Zab hangs up his boots, he can compete with Fredericks for the RB spot.
Overchuffed
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Overchuffed »

YorksHammer wrote:Is Masuaku back from the AFCON yet? Obviously not out in China due to that. Wonder if he'll have match fitness given he's likely got an extended holiday.
He didn't play a lot at the AFCON. Mostly an unused sub so wouldn't have played a great deal. Will have had a little rest before it started, and a little one after so hopefully won't need to do too much to be up to scratch with the rest of the squad.