PSF: West Ham Utd 0-1 Newcastle Utd (20/07/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Re: West Ham United v Newcastle United: Asia Trophy Match Thread

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

never having seen Haller play, it will be interesting to see what type of forward he is.

for all his faults as an out and out striker (which he wasn't) Arnie was brilliant at 1/2's with Lanzini before the injury and to be able to be so unpredictable sometimes to the detriment of his teammates, and will we change our style a little with Haller ?

we'll see of course, brilliant players sometimes become even more brilliant when surrounded with likewise talent.

the times Arnie threw his arms up in the air at the inability at times for the players around him to be on the same wavelength. which was a bit of a Catch-22 in that his unpredictability meant that it was going to always be difficult to read his runs and movement. and then sometimes he didn't make any movement at all.

whichever type of player Haller is we'll have to be somewhat different in our approach than we were with Arnie
Patito

Post by Patito »

Haller is even better at 1-2’s in my opinion. His link up play seems to be superb.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

for whatever reason that won't play - so I'll try again later and take your word for it as I have no clue who he really is..

:D

now if we can stop giving the ball away cheaply from the back, or at least in or around the defensive third, we'll be in pretty good shape.

I do have a fear though of the window closing and Rice getting a slight injury and be out for about 4-6 games which will get us off to another awful start.

:(
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Thing is , these competitions are only there to get players' fitness levels up , don't be too alarmed at these results .
I wonder how many Wolves fans are saying "it's all about the fitness"?

All the talk today from Spurs fans is about Kane's goal from the half way line.

Not a dig at you ToMos, but you generally only hear this line/excuse trotted out following a poor result/tournament.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Boss

I always think winning ANY game is important but some have more (or less) importance than others.

closer to the curtain going up for real, the better a positive result is.

when I was coaching (and I am sure when you were too) new players need integrating (not the case for us up to now) poor tendencies have to be eliminated (our slow start to the Barcodes game was a reincarnation of too many games last season) etc. etc. etc.

so far, I don't see the defending tendencies ironed out. it would be different if we really had a completely new backline or like last season two new CB's to fit in.

we will now have to fit in a new CM, get used to Wilshere coming back in, figure out our best midfield formation/personnel and integrate our new F while trying to fix these stupid slow starts and lack of concentration in defending.

the Silva goal by Diop ball watching and Oggie having his at least once a game rush of blood to the head, and while it was a soft penalty, there's no need to give the ref a decision to make.

and figure out if we can get shot of fringe players and/or get at least one more DM type BBM in if we can.

still a lot to do imvho
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I honestly don't know why we bother with these tournaments, or long journeys for pre-season.

The idea on the whole is to attract more fans world wide. But all we do is constantly embarrass ourselves.

We scored one goal in 2 matches, which was a penalty, and conceded 5 goals. Plus only really played well in 1/4 of the games (1st half against City).

When we went to the US under Bilic again we were awful and got beat. And again under Big Sam in New Zealand we were diabolical.

If you was a neutral or was looking to support an English team and you watched us play, would you want to support us going from those showings in all of those pre-season tours? :P I would've run a mile!

What was most concerning is Wolves are arguably suppose to be one of our rivals for a European spot next season. And when you compare both ours and Wolves' performances against both Newcastle and Man City, who would you honestly feel more confident about claiming a spot next season? As even with European football already to contend with I thought Wolves looked much better than us and IMO would've stuffed us too if we played them. Remember they were missing their best player too (Raul Jimenez).
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Wolves could be having an open top bus parade with the shiny shirtsales trophy. Who ****ing cares?

I think the bigger issue than the results is the entering into this pallaver in the first place. There’s a big enough audience of priced out or moved out support that the club could reward by doing a tour of the Southend’s and Orient’s and Daggers. Not only helping these lower league clubs with gates, not only offering a fun cheap day out for supporters, but building up a bit of a network of competitive football for youth lads.

But no. Let’s play 3 of the same teams we’ll play in a few weeks over & over anyway, so that a load of randoms get to watch the team that Arnautovic ****ed over before joining their shitty lacklustre league that no one actually cares about because it’s all a load of synthetic cobblers.

Soulless sapping waste of air miles.

I’m glad we lost I hope we pick up NO extra fans from the experience. Let them support “the Wolves”
Upminster Hammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by Upminster Hammer »

To me it seems when we have a good pre season (in terms of results) we start slow and vice versa. I’m sure I’m billic’s first season we had a dire pre season
Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 79 likes

Post by Mr_incredible »

think we already established that this is b*llocks. Its just something people keep trotting out when we perform badly. When we play in pre season, we win some and lose some..more often than not....it actually seems pointless in that it never seems to reflect what the starting 11 will be in terms of personnel or shape of the team. Funny enough were pretty damn inconsistent when the actual real football starts too
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Mr_incredible wrote:think we already established that this is b*llocks. Its just something people keep trotting out when we perform badly. When we play in pre season, we win some and lose some..more often than not....it actually seems pointless in that it never seems to reflect what the starting 11 will be in terms of personnel or shape of the team. Funny enough were pretty damn inconsistent when the actual real football starts too
there HAS to be some type of correlation then......

:D
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Up the Junction wrote: I wonder how many Wolves fans are saying "it's all about the fitness"?

All the talk today from Spurs fans is about Kane's goal from the half way line.

Not a dig at you ToMos, but you generally only hear this line/excuse trotted out following a poor result/tournament.

No offence taken , UTJ , - thing is , after a relatively poor performance I'm not one to come on here a over-react - I thought we looked more than ok during the first half against Man City and Pellegrini was determined to give everyone a run out - not having first hand knowledge into how serious we were about winning the Asia Trophy I would imagine Pellegrini took it as an opportunity to give the Squad a run out whilst doing his best to avoid further injury to those that missed a huge chunk of last season .
After losing the first match 4-1 I doubt we'd have been going all-out against Newcastle .

The Manager will have been running a rule over everyone but possibly paying close attention to the fringe players - it was an exercise in money making and promoting West Ham and the Premier League in China .

Yes , Wolves came out on top so what does that say about Britain's richest Club , how disappointed are they suppose to feel , how angry will Guardiola be ? I'm going to guess a little , with a little ' L ' .

As others have said , we've had great pre-seasons followed by poor seasons - in '85 / '86 we carried over a poor pre-season into the first 4 matches losing 3 of them - did alright afterwards though .

I can understand why some will be feeling disappointed .
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

newcastle, to their credit, seemed to be playing at 100% intensity in the first half like they had a point to prove. they made a few industrial challenges early doors including straight red studs up legbreaker tackle and the ref didn't produce as much as a yellow. lanzini was getting scythed down whenever he broke into his stride.

trying to play out a friendly like that, in those conditions, without a ref there with a competitive mandate was asking for trouble. man city were just as cynical to be honest, but at least their fouls weren't career threatening.

i'd be content to lose the rest of our pre-season games in exchange for a fully fit squad on opening day.
Discobar

Post by Discobar »

Pre season is a fitness exercise. My main concern is that compared to the majority of Premier League clubs, our number of games is well down on most.

Also, Cuenca, your posts are just weird mate, I guess you love a bit of weed cuz
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Discobar wrote:Pre season is a fitness exercise. My main concern is that compared to the majority of Premier League clubs, our number of games is well down on most.

Also, Cuenca, your posts are just weird mate, I guess you love a bit of weed cuz
fair enough if you feel that way..but believe me (you don't have to) I don't....

:?
The Old Man of Storr

Discobar wrote:

Nothing drug-related to Cuenca's weirdness , that's all down to old-age . :wink:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

there's weird........................................... and then there's weird....

8-)
The Old Man of Storr

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:there's weird........................................... and then there's weird....

8-)
Yeah , mine's all drug - related . :)

Well , bit of both actually .
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

not really surprising that Newcastle took the game seriously, their new manager was sitting in the stands! I don't know how the stats stack up, I just remember many years ago we had a triumphant tour of Scandinavia followed by relegation! Given that we're crap more often than good season-wise I imagine you can make a case either way
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Patito wrote:Haller is even better at 1-2’s in my opinion. His link up play seems to be superb.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We should have signed the 'magic triangle' judging by that vid.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Beavis Danzig wrote:newcastle, to their credit, seemed to be playing at 100% intensity in the first half like they had a point to prove. they made a few industrial challenges early doors including straight red studs up legbreaker tackle and the ref didn't produce as much as a yellow. lanzini was getting scythed down whenever he broke into his stride.

trying to play out a friendly like that, in those conditions, without a ref there with a competitive mandate was asking for trouble. man city were just as cynical to be honest, but at least their fouls weren't career threatening.

i'd be content to lose the rest of our pre-season games in exchange for a fully fit squad on opening day.
All of this. The ugly **** clearly had them all fired up beforehand to prove they must give their all for the Geordie shirt and so they all played like it was a world cup final. I'm still grimmicing at that challenge on Zabaleta first half which almost snapped his fibula. **** should have been sent off for that alone. Just thankful we got out fairly unscathed in a nothing match but fitness.