The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Sliema1990
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Re: The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Post by Sliema1990 »

Guys.I just wanted to update you on the tragic situation i found myself in, as mentioned a few pages back.
Today it would have been my 19th Wedding Anniversary.I spent the morning dealing with banks , and other companies that my late wife had been with.
This afternoon, i had a tea with my Mum, then my Son gave her a lift home.She is 81 and is recovering from a broken wrist.
Approx 10 mins after leaving my house,she rang me screaming.My brother was hanging from the loft space.
I went straight to her home, and found him clearly dead.Just hanging there with a rope and scarf wraped around his neck.I called police,then an ambulance.The police said don't go near anywhere that could impact the investigation, but the ambulance said get him down and try cpr.I cut the rope,but in no way could i get the piece from around his neck.His lips were blue,his body cold and his eyes bulging.
The police arrived.I told my mum to sit in the garden.My son had come back down and sat with her.
What a complete waste of life.My ex wife left two Sons. My brother leaves a Son and Daughter.
I ask myself why,and what have i done to deserve this. But i remain strong.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Christ mate.
I know you'll be concentrating on your Mum, kids, and family in general, but no matter how well you seem to be holding things together, please, please see your GP , AND get some help from an outside agency as well.
You must,must, look after yourself. Best Wishes.
Sliema1990

Post by Sliema1990 »

Tenbury wrote:Christ mate.
I know you'll be concentrating on your Mum, kids, and family in general, but no matter how well you seem to be holding things together, please, please see your GP , AND get some help from an outside agency as well.
You must,must, look after yourself. Best Wishes.

I will mate. Most definately.Even i am telling myself i need some help and advice here, and i will get it.
Patito

Post by Patito »

My heart goes out to you Sliema, this must be an awful time for you, massive massive respect to you for how you are dealing with it all.

RS - I really hope situation with your family improves and you feel better asap, best wishes to you.

Samba - You're always one of the first on here to offer advice and support you will have helped loads of people on here without doubt, probably a lot more than you know, keep going mate.

:kumb:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Sliema so sorry to this tragic story, as if you didn't have enough on your plate already.

Please get some help for yourself asap as you will be blinded by everything going on around you right now and you could neglect your own needs trying to be strong for everyone else.

I am not much of a religious person and have no idea if you are but I will say a prayer for you today mate.
matthewbd
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by matthewbd »

Sliema, I couldn't just read and run, so sorry to hear this.

Don't know what else to say really but look after yourself.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Not sure how viable this suggestion is -

But , have any of you lads [ and lasses ] who are suffering or occasionally suffer from mental health issues thought about forming a little Self Help Group - those of you who live near each other or are able to travel to a pre-arranged meeting place whether it be a public meeting place , a cafe , a pub , a room above a pub or a private house -

Might be something to bear in mind ?
OFT
Has liked: 3185 likes
Total likes: 1829 likes

Post by OFT »

Sliema . What words are there to adequately respond to your situation.
Incredibly sad events for you to deal with.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 346 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Sliema, My heart goes out to you mate. You have done nothing to deserve this. Life sometimes conspires to poo on us from a great height and there's bugger all we can do about it.
I know you are staying strong for your family but please get help!
You are allowed to grieve, you are allowed to be angry, you are allowed to cry but don't shoulder this burden alone.
Cutting down your brother's body must have been a traumatic experience and, IMO, you might want to talk to somebody who has been trained to help people in your situation.

I'm sure there are people on here who will have experience and offer great advice but here's a couple of links:
https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Suicide/Doc ... 20Hand.pdf
https://supportaftersuicide.org.uk/
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Sliema, get yourself a Drs appointment and demand some form of counselling/therapy asap. For all of you. The sooner you can deal with things, properly deal with them, then the better you will be able to move on.

I expect, as a father, and a man, you might feel the need to just push on, and to get everyone else through things. Perhaps you can do that, and perhaps you can be strong without any help. But I've seen what can happen to people who suffer this sort of trauma, and sooner or later it hits them.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Silema - no idea what to say. Keep going and as has been mentioned, get some help. There's a lot around and if you don't know where to go just see the GP. Demand it. You can't keep everything in and you need a professional to help you get it out.

Such a sad, sad situation. Keep going!
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Silema - wow, I don’t know what to say really but that is one awful situation. Well done for talking about it and hope all is on the right track in seeking help. There’s many on this forum that will be behind you. :kumb:
Sliema1990

Post by Sliema1990 »

Thank you so much everyone.Much appreciated.
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Not sure how viable this suggestion is -

But , have any of you lads [ and lasses ] who are suffering or occasionally suffer from mental health issues thought about forming a little Self Help Group - those of you who live near each other or are able to travel to a pre-arranged meeting place whether it be a public meeting place , a cafe , a pub , a room above a pub or a private house -

Might be something to bear in mind ?
Tomos, its actually a great idea and something I have thought about.
Us men of a certain age are useless about sharing our problems.
I do fear however that geographical location might be an issue, we are it seems now a club with a broad church of support spread throughout the British Isles (and Skye), in fact Worldwide these days.
However there is no harm in trying, myself and Indy have been meeting up on occasion and have some great chats and a few beers. Indy and myself are both currently involved in different Mental Health projects so its good to catch up and compare notes. We also chat about ourselves, our own mental health and wellbeing and I have to say its been a great help (thanks Indy).
Then we talk about West Ham and other sh*t.
I am quite happy to facilitate a meet up to anyone who fancies popping along. I would like to say that everyone is welcome no matter what state of mind they are in (happy people welcome!).
We could also travel, a day by the seaside would be great.
So, if anyone at all is interested (no pressure whatsoever) then please let me know either on this thread or by PM.
We will see what we can do.
The Old Man of Storr

Well done , Mushy , that's just brilliant , mate . :thup: :thup:

I hope that people take you up on this offer , it can only be a good thing , might even help save someone's life in the long run .

This thread is brilliant , probably the most important in Kumb's History but nothing beats chatting to like minded people face to face , especially folk you feel you know already .

When I was trying to give up alcohol back in the day I was advised to attend the AA meetings but that would never suit me but meeting up fellow Kumbers would be right up my street - obviously it's a little far for me but if I lived in London it would something I'd be interested in just for the craic .

Take Note , People , You Needn't Suffer Alone .
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1667 likes
Total likes: 517 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Thanks Mushy. Needless to say I am up for this and if I can help in any way, please let me know. I look forward to meeting you all.

Btw Mushy is bang on the money: we meet up have a few drinks (don't have to be alcoholic) talk about how we are and how our work is and then move on the WHU stuff and anything else that takes our fancy. We've found some top places to visit as a by product of us meeting up, so it ends up being a great time.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

'The Unjolly Boys' Outing to Skye'..
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

My passport expires in September.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

S-H wrote:My passport expires in September.
Mine expired in 2003
The Old Man of Storr

Just give the Border Guards some heroin and you'll be fine , no passports required .

On a more serious note - I wish this little group all the luck in the world . :thup: