Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Re: Beer/Lager Thread

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

I don't drink much beer at home, but at this time of year it's a nice treat to have an ice-cold bottle after doing the garden. Got a really long back garden (and a lawn on the front garden too) so it takes a lot of work every fortnight - hence the pleasure in having a cold beer overlooking the newly-hewn lawns, hedges and trees (wanna call all of this 'grounds' but I'm not in Sandbanks).

For lovers of Czech pilsners - try the Sainsburys own brand. 500ml bottle for £1.25 a pop - better than Budvar, Staropramen or any of the other major versions I've tried. Really, really good.

As for that Neck Oil...bloody gorgeous. Sad to hear that Spurs have that on draught at their new place for a fiver. A truly lovely pint.

The Hopback stuff's nice, but it's one of those that I really prefer on tap rather than bottled - same as Amstel. Conversely I like Becks, Staropramen, Peroni et al as an ice-cold bottle, but don't prefer paying more for them as a draught pint than the likes of Kronenburg, Carlsberg or the like.

That new Michelob Light is decent by the way for a refreshing summer lager.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 924 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:This weeks weapon of choice...

Adnams do quite a good range of ales ... I went on hols to Aldeburgh a couple of years back and stayed about 30 yards away from one of their shops, which was opposite to a fish and chip shop and 20 yards from the beach .... heaven!!!

Mosaic IPA is a fave of mine and the non-alcoholic version of Ghostship is a fine tipple ... so much so, I spent a non-driving night out drinking it.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Few places doing Beavertown beers a bit cheaper since the Heineken investment wonder if they've either streamlined or cutting costs somewhere and hopefully not the quality since a few a tweets and posts saying it's still good stuff but there is something slightly different for the worst in recent batches

Let's not forget Heineken have stakes in the following Magic Rock, Four Pure, Camden, Goose Island, Beavertown and Lagunitas
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

Had a few pints of Butcombe Underfall lager the other night. Proved to be very tasty. I'm quite liking this new generation of British brewed lagers.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

More Hobgoblin IPA last night,it really is good stuff-well balanced and without a lingering bitterness.

Left a tin of Stella in the freezer all night so had to clean that out earlier :o
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

was on Oudaen pilsner in Utrecht earlier in the week, cracking pint
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

As much as I like Lager and Cider I have been really enjoying Vodka of late :thup:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

finally got to The Pub and they had two IPA's on tap.

Cascade and Grapefruit IPA

tried a taste of the Cascade and it didn't taste too IPA-y to me and the grapefruit wasn't as grapefruit as I thought it might be - luckily enough.

so I had a couple of large glasses of the GIPA

very nice, very tasty, bit hoppy but not too much and as I said, not really grapefruity at all. a little taste of citrus but very nice !!!!!!

:thup:
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Re: Beer/Lager Thre

Post by Morocco Mole »

WestHamByTheSea wrote:Conversely I like Becks, Staropramen, Peroni et al as an ice-cold bottle....
Trends come and go through my fridge but the old bottle of Becks remains a constant. Very hard to beat in my opinion.

The American version (brewed in St Louis) is most definitely not the same however.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Re: Beer/Lager Thre

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Morocco Mole wrote:Trends come and go through my fridge but the old bottle of Becks remains a constant. Very hard to beat in my opinion.

The American version (brewed in St Louis) is most definitely not the same however.
The stuff you get over here tastes nothing like the stuff you get in Bremen.

We did a gig there once and had a massive fridge full of the stuff to ourselves. It tasted nothing like the rancid stuff you get over here - it was Lager heaven, really smooth and clean.

I used to love Beck's over here til I tasted the German stuff.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Been drinking Rum all day.

Oh dear.

Love you Monkey nuts.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

S-H wrote:Been drinking Rum all day.

Oh dear.

Love you Monkey nuts.
actually I have bought a nice sippin' rum the past couple of weeks....goes nice with a cigar...

around 11 dlrs

:thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

The Bierschenke by Fenchurch St station has re-opened, looks like they've had a refurb. Lovely pint of Paulaner.

I must go back some time and try all of their other beers, in a stein.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:The stuff you get over here tastes nothing like the stuff you get in Bremen. .
We used to get the same stuff until not that long ago - real shame. My Dad bought some bottles back last year and we did a comparison. We were admittedly pretty drunk, but the German bottles were a lot nicer. So crips.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

WestHamByTheSea wrote:For lovers of Czech pilsners - try the Sainsburys own brand. 500ml bottle for £1.25 a pop - better than Budvar, Staropramen or any of the other major versions I've tried. Really, really good.
Yeah, I like that beer. I think Staropramen actually make it for them, don't they? Might be getting mixed up with the M&S one though...
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

Im just oldschool as some others, and..

One of the people who think, the BEST beer in the world comes... (not from Germany or Holland, but..) from the Czech Republic... (Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, Budweiser.. the ORIGINAL, not the cheap cameo from the States, etc... )

And albeit thats not one of the best brands there, I really like this beer... :thup:

So, if you see one bootle..

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4108/10104/
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Had a pint of Litovel on draft last week. Lovely stuff! Possible pint of draft Budvar tonight if I get things sorted out.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

My current top 10

Sierra Nevada pale (my all time favourite)
Beaverstown neck oil
Cloudwater Citra
Radical Road (cheap in Sainsbury’s and very strong)
Spitfire gold (heavily underrated old school proper Kent pint)
Camden Town gentleman’s WIT
Timothy Taylor's Landlord Ale
Brew Dog Elvis Juice (loathe the company but love their drinks)
Hobgoblin (taken for granted a bit but reliable old regular)
London Pride (only on tap where it’s ****ing always beautiful would be near the top but bottled it’s pish)
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

WHU Independent wrote:Had a pint of Litovel on draft last week. Lovely stuff! Possible pint of draft Budvar tonight if I get things sorted out.
Love budvar
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

Bathams