The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by jastons »

Does anyone else think we still need two more strikers?

Arnie, Carroll and Perez have all left with only Haller coming in.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Who cares what other teams are doing or not doing, if they are stronger or weaker, if they have spent more or less than us.

Who cares where we finish in the table, I have feeling that we will be really good to watch this year, and that we will go further in both cups.

f*** the destination, enjoy the ride :thup:
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

jastons wrote:Does anyone else think we still need two more strikers?

We certainly need at least 1 more in, that’s for sure!
Aurora borealis
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Aurora borealis »

S-H wrote:Who cares what other teams are doing or not doing, if they are stronger or weaker, if they have spent more or less than us.

Who cares where we finish in the table, I have feeling that we will be really good to watch this year, and that we will go further in both cups.

**** the destination, enjoy the ride :thup:
:scarfer: :thup:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

David Sullivan has been paying off kumb members?
Patito

Post by Patito »

stu1 wrote: Surprisingly Everton actually kept the joint 4th most clean sheets last season behind Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea.
I am very surprised by that! They won’t be anywhere near that this season though.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

They went on a strong run in the last 2-3 months of the season. How much of that was them being good, and how much was their opponents being on the beach is open to consideration. FWIW, they've already lost Zouma and Gueye from that defensive unit.
vaz te's bonnet
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by vaz te's bonnet »

Im curious however who this mysterious player who may or may not be available is. Im guessing as its huggy bear making way he will be homegrown but who could it be
Patito

Post by Patito »

bubbles1966 wrote:They went on a strong run in the last 2-3 months of the season. How much of that was them being good, and how much was their opponents being on the beach is open to consideration. FWIW, they've already lost Zouma and Gueye from that defensive unit.

Great minds :thup:
wobble
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by wobble »

ashbanki wrote:Twenty five million investment- what an embarrasment !
So true, it's embarrassing.
No matter how old I get I can never except or understand how the likes of Sullivan get away with being so ****ing greedy while at the same time bull ****ting everyone.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1994 likes
Total likes: 1671 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

not sure about that - I think their wobble was Dec/Jan time

their last lot of results:

Spurs 2-2
2-0 Burnley
Palace 0-0
4-0 Man U
Fulham 2-0
1-0 Arsenal
West Ham 0-2
2-0 Chelsea
Newcastle 3-2
0-0 Liverpool
Cardiff 0-3

not too shabby at all.........agree they have lost their best DM not sure Kouma is all that.
Hammer83
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

So after our ins and outs we have spent around £25m? Did we really move to this stadium for such a pathetic transfer kitty? Let me make this clear we will not compete with the top 6 until the dildo brothers invest properly in player recruitment! I don’t want to hear we broke our transfer record etc.. they have still only invested a paltry amount! For what it’s worth I think our two main signings will be good for us,but it’s not enough to close the huge gap between us and the top 6.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Patito wrote:Great minds :thup:
Isn't that what we did the last month or so of the season as well?
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote:They went on a strong run in the last 2-3 months of the season. How much of that was them being good, and how much was their opponents being on the beach is open to consideration. FWIW, they've already lost Zouma and Gueye from that defensive unit.
Everton and Leicester both had a dodgy spell driven by managerial issues IIRC. If they hadn’t had a dodgy spell they’d have both got more points. You could say the same about us through January transfer window. We finished strongly too. Few teams noticeably on the beach - Newcastle and Watford for starters.

Contrary to other views I expect Everton and Leicester to do well this season. Wouldn’t surprise me to see a new mini league emerge in the middle of the PL - with a more noticeable gap to the bottom six and closer to the top six.

A good start is critical if we want to top that group - breeds confidence etc.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Hammer83 wrote:So after our ins and outs we have spent around £25m? Did we really move to this stadium for such a pathetic transfer kitty? Let me make this clear we will not compete with the top 6 until the dildo brothers invest properly in player recruitment! I don’t want to hear we broke our transfer record etc.. they have still only invested a paltry amount! For what it’s worth I think our two main signings will be good for us,but it’s not enough to close the huge gap between us and the top 6.
We're not going to spend like a top 6 side, if you expect that you're delusional. We average out in the 7-11 pack, some bigger years some smaller, we're currently around 10th in net spend over the last 5 seasons, we were 7th in last 5 seasons net spend before this window. If Pelle gets his one more player we'll probably be 8th or 9th. Not many clubs can sustain really high spending every year. We got almost 100M last summer so this summer will be less, as long as it is used well and it doesn't become 25M every year, that's a respectable spending pattern.
Last edited by Cellar-door on Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patito

Post by Patito »

fjthegrey wrote: Isn't that what we did the last month or so of the season as well?

Sell Gueye and lose Zouma?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1994 likes
Total likes: 1671 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Hammer83 wrote:So after our ins and outs we have spent around £25m? Did we really move to this stadium for such a pathetic transfer kitty? Let me make this clear we will not compete with the top 6 until the dildo brothers invest properly in player recruitment! I don’t want to hear we broke our transfer record etc.. they have still only invested a paltry amount! For what it’s worth I think our two main signings will be good for us,but it’s not enough to close the huge gap between us and the top 6.
Haller has to come up with 10 goals to replace Arnie and 3 more to replace Perez.

that's 13 goals in total (obviously) which is a fairly big ask for anyone let alone a lad new to the PL.

I am hoping he gets 15 though as we did create a load of chances which we failed to convert however.

Fornals has only scored 5 goals in the past 2 years in Villareal so it would not be fair to expect him to chip in with half a dozen.
Longaz
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

jastons wrote:Does anyone else think we still need two more strikers?

Arnie, Carroll and Perez shared 1 man's work last season. I wouldn't be surprised if Haller played the same amount of games and scored the same amount of goals as all 3 managed last season. If we get another striker in, will he even make the bench against Man City?
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Longaz wrote:
Arnie, Carroll and Perez shared 1 man's work last season. I wouldn't be surprised if Haller played the same amount of games and scored the same amount of goals as all 3 managed last season. If we get another striker in, will he even make the bench against Man City?
Carroll and Perez played about 900 minutes combined between injuries to Arnie, bench appearance, etc., Antonio may eat up most of that now that he's moving off the wing with more healthy options there.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
Haller has to come up with 10 goals to replace Arnie and 3 more to replace Perez.

that's 13 goals in total (obviously) which is a fairly big ask for anyone let alone a lad new to the PL.

I am hoping he gets 15 though as we did create a load of chances which we failed to convert however.

Fornals has only scored 5 goals in the past 2 years in Villareal so it would not be fair to expect him to chip in with half a dozen.
It's just not that simple an equivalency. Haller holding the ball more, keeping it in the final third, playing in his team mates, pressing defenders etc will also change the outlook of games.

Haller could score 8, but if his overall play results in a better team performance then that's an improvement.

Its not as simple as saying player A scored x goals so player B must score x goals or it's a failure. There is so much more to the position.