England Cricket Summer 2019 ODI World Cup and Ashes

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

GPP
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: England Cricket Summer 2019 ODI World Cup and Ashes

Post by GPP »

Also, why are some believing that Buttler won’t be picked?? He’s an absolute certainty to start.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

GPP wrote:5 seamers? Bairstow at 4? Hopefully not.
Slim pickings with the squad they selected for the first test. I wouldn’t have both Burns and Denly playing, although they both obviously are now. Will be one of Woakes or Archer now it seems.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

It's tough nowadays for any touring side to win an away series, any series, against any team and not many achieve it. Conditions and wickets favour the home side and I think this series will be no different. I think the Aussies will win one test, most likely Lords, but England will re-gain the Ashes, quite convincingly, 4-1 I think but then lose when they go out to Australia in a couple of years time.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Don't agree with all of that, this series is starting late,and that reduces home advantage to a degree.

However it's beyond doubt that if McDermot can't get his act together, then a ticket for the fourth day at Lords is diminishing in value even more quickly than the cash you'll use to buy it.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2698 likes

Post by sendô »

Tenbury wrote:Look at the last 7 or 8 ashes series. They are won by bowlers. You can score as many runs as you like, but if you can't take 20 wickets you're wasting your time. So much so, that I think our chances rest upon Anderson and Archer staying fit.
Agree with that. We've got enough bowlers, we need to be careful to pick the right variation of attack, and pick people on current ability and not what they've done in the past (ie Broad and Anderson).

If they're performing, great, but if not they need to go asap.
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

A bit left-field, and I know it is a different format, but Roy and Bairstow were great as openers during the World Cup. Should have tried them opening together vs Ireland.

Either way, I would go with the following lineup for Edgbaston.

Roy
Burns
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Woakes
Ali
Curran
Archer
Anderson

Sub in Wood for Anderson/Archer if one is not fit.
Leach as 12th Man.
I think Burns will finally come good in this series.
No place for Broad.
GPP

Post by GPP »

I think the chatter about bowlers is largely irrelevant. Whether England pick Archer or not, or the convicts pick Starc or not doesn’t matter. Neither side will struggle to take 20 wickets in English conditions in August and September. So for me it’s all about the batting, the runs scored.

Therefore I think it’s all about the banned trio. If Warner, Smith, and Bancroft can’t take the abuse from the Hollies, and let it affect their batting, England can win. However, if they fire, we’re deep in the do do
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

Archer out with side strain.

Denly to bat at 4.

Buttler at 5.

Bairstow to bat at 7.

They’ve got that wrong imo.

Agree with the other poster, Roy and Bairstow should be top of the order. What has Burns ever done in an England shirt?

And Moeen over Rashid? I’ll put that down to the wicket at Edgbaston but Moeen was bang out of form in the WC.

“England team to play Australia in the first Ashes Test at Edgbaston on Thursday: Rory Burns, Jason Roy, Joe Root (c), Joe Denly, Jos Buttler, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Stuart Broad, James Anderson.”
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Bairstow gets bowled far too regularly in Test Cricket to open. 6/7 is probably about right but with the lack of quality in the batting there is probably a case for him to bat higher

I would have dropped Denly for Malan personally, but he seems to joined the list of players England have given a series or two to but just don’t fancy anymore

Aussies have the better batsmen, so I think it’s fair to suggest they have a good chance of winning away this time around.

Going on Saturday, hopefully be feeling more positive then and turning up to watch England on top and Barmy Army giving the Aussies hell :scarfer:
NottingHammer6
Has liked: 1 like

Post by NottingHammer6 »

steps wrote:What has Burns ever done in an England shirt?
The man has literally only played 7 games in an England shirt, give him a chance.
GPP

Post by GPP »

steps wrote:Archer out with side strain.

Denly to bat at 4.

Buttler at 5.

Bairstow to bat at 7.

They’ve got that wrong imo.

Agree with the other poster, Roy and Bairstow should be top of the order. What has Burns ever done in an England shirt?

And Moeen over Rashid? I’ll put that down to the wicket at Edgbaston but Moeen was bang out of form in the WC.
Bairstow averages less than 30 in his last 26 tests. Yet you want him to open?
old fart
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

I dont care how many runs Burns scores so long as he does his job which is to see off the new ball, thats an openers job set a platform for the gung ho brigade behind him so if he gets 15 to 20 but hangs around for 15 /20 overs then he has done ok by me.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Having said previously that Bairstow should open, I think it is difficult doing that if you have just put in a shift behind the stumps for a whole innings - and maybe that’s why he is getting bowled? If that is the case, why not give the gloves to Buttler. Bairstow is a good fielder and can probably recover better on the boundary than having to concentrate to a higher level on each ball.

If that were the case, I’d go

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Buttler
XXXXXX Batter
Woakes
Curran
Rashid
Broad/Archer
Anderson
steps

Post by steps »

GPP wrote:
Bairstow averages less than 30 in his last 26 tests. Yet you want him to open?
Burns averages 22 but that’s not the point. The point is we saw some synergy between Bairstow and Roy in the WC, something that England haven’t had for years (albeit in the shorter form of the game I know).

There was potential there imo. Bairstow is waisted at 7, it’s ridiculous.
GPP

Post by GPP »

steps wrote:
Burns averages 22 but that’s not the point. The point is we saw some synergy between Bairstow and Roy in the WC, something that England haven’t had for years (albeit in the shorter form of the game I know).

There was potential there imo. Bairstow is waisted at 7, it’s ridiculous.
What’s ridiculous, is advocating a batsmen whose technique is exposed batting in the middle order to be promoted to opener.

Yes Burns’ average is poor - hence his place being under threat. Yet at least he has the excuse of batting at the top of the order, where it is much harder to score.
steps

Post by steps »

What are you talking about Burns’s position is under threat?

England haven’t had a good opening partnership since Strauss and Cook, and have literally been through about 10 (at least) opening batsmen in the last few years.

We have no-one to do the job.

Roy and Bairstow offered us a glimmer of hope in the WC.

Bairstow scored two 100s, a 90 and two 50s in the WC, not sure how this is an ‘exposed technique’

Yes you’ll come back at me with the Test average argument, but I think you’ve been listening to too much of Michael Vaughan and his defamation of Englsnd players.
GPP

Post by GPP »

steps wrote:What are you talking about Burns’s position is under threat?

England haven’t had a good opening partnership since Strauss and Cook, and have literally been through about 10 (at least) opening batsmen in the last few years.

We have no-one to do the job.

Roy and Bairstow offered us a glimmer of hope in the WC.

Bairstow scored two 100s, a 90 and two 50s in the WC, not sure how this is an ‘exposed technique’

Yes you’ll come back at me with the Test average argument, but I think you’ve been listening to too much of Michael Vaughan and his defamation of Englsnd players.
Of course Burns’ position is under threat. We’ve had openers since Strauss who were dropped for having better averages than Burns...

Why are you wittering on about the WC for? The white ball doesn’t swing in the same way that the test duke ball does. Bairstow’s recent record in tests (which is terrible as I mentioned) is relevant. Scoring a couple of biffed 50s against the white ball with fielding restrictions is completely irrelevant.

I notice you make no attempt to counter the argument? What’s Vaughan got to do with the price of fish?
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

Could easily go either way which is why most pundits are going for 2-2.

Sadly they have Smith who if he's on form makes the difference. Root will need to match him and make his 50's into 150's like Smith does.

I don't fancy the rest of our top 4 much against Cummins, Starc etc but if the ball is swinging about then the majority of their batting line up will struggle as well. A lot will depend on Anderson and Broad and whether this is a series too far for them. I'm worried that Archer's side strain will return when he's back for the second test and sadly Wood is injured again which could leave us a bit short.
old fart
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

A good toss to lose be a very brave skipper to put the opposition in on the 1st day of the first test
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by Rio »

No Starc or Hazelwood either for the Aussies.

It's not a team to be feared. We only have ourselves to blame if we balls this up