West Ham Utd 0-5 Manchester City (10/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

West Ham Utd 0-5 Manchester City (10/08/19)

Post by Samba »

K/O 12:30 BT Sport.

Was going to wait & let DL do it, as last season, he was on a bit of a winning run but as it's Man City...
Last edited by Samba on Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Manchester City: Match Thread (10/8)

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Samba wrote:K/O 12:30 BT Sport.

Was going to wait & let DL do it, as last season, he was on a bit of a winning run but as it's Man City...
bit like Fabianski to be fair....we can afford to do without him next week as it's usually a given we'll get tonked..

:D
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

We'll concede four as we always do on the season's opening day, only this time, we will score a couple ourselves. 2-4
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

I think we'll concede our compulsory 4 at home to them. But I also think we'll score 2 maybe 3. So a defeat, but not all bad.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

If Roberto and Cresswell play then I think we’ll concede 4 or 5.
Longaz
Has liked: 1385 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

Progress to be made by stopping them from scoring four. 1-3. Haller.
Leaving Noble out, 5 of the following don't make the bench. Johnson, Diangana and 3 unhappy hammers. Great to see though

Reid
Ogbonna
Masuaku/Cresswell
Johnson
Zabaleta
Sanchez
Snodgrass
Yarmolenko
Diangana
Antonio
Hernandez
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I think my first choice squad would be...

4-3-3

Fabianski
Fredericks Balbuena Diop Masuaku
Fornals Rice Wilshere
Anderson Haller Lanzini

Roberto, Johnson, Reid, Noble, Snodgrass, Yarmolenko, Antonio
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I'd start Antonio and Haller, here, simply because City need to be posed some physical questions, even if it does mean our keeper playing it long for Mike to win against City's LB.

Anderson, on his game, keeps Walker back in his own half, where he's most prone to a mistake, or a loss of focus, in the tackle, but I'm not sure if LW are Pellegrini's plans for him. He's got a big season ahead of him, I hope, either way.

Sterling, both Silvas and Gundogan are sensationally talented, but our squad must be surely at one of its strongest settings at present, and I back Pellegrini to set up our AM area to give them freedom to press and pass in equal measure.

It's impossible to imagine that we can keep a clean sheet, but, if, and it's a big if, we can score first and not then retreat into our shells, we could get the point we deserved, when we last visited them.

But, my head says 1-2 or, worse ways, 1-3. Haller to score.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

I hope to goodness that Fab will play. I hope that out defence puts in a better performance than of late. Just give a good fight lads, its no disgrace to lose against City but a draw or a win would be fantastic. :crest:
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

We played pretty well last season in this fixture and still let in four.

1-4.

This game won't define our season, even if this place goes into meltdown.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

3-3
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Leaving aside all talk of scores etc - when was the last time we had everyone in the squad potentially (I know Fabianski and Noble have minor knocks that might be touch and go) available to play a fixture? Genuinely not sure it’s happened this decade?

There’s a deep ever-present lineage that goes something like Ashton - Parker - Dyer - Hitzlesperger - Carroll underpinning hundreds of other injuries around that spine.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Only pick Fabianski if he is 100% fit as like I've mentioned on the Atletico Bilbao thread we'll concede goals either way against them. I'd rather save Fabianski against Brighton so we can have a goalkeeper that'll come for crosses and actually make some saves.

Obviously I may change my team depending on if we finally see sense and make some signings before deadline day.

I really think we need a midfielder but for a change I think we may as well have the attitude we've shown in the last 2 friendlies to try and outscore them. And I really do believe even know we fall short I do actually fancy us to give them a bit of a scare.

For god sake though don't pick Cresswell! Even if Masuaku isn't fit enough yet. And if he is the team simply to be captain that is really lame!

Noble I expect will miss out as not ready yet.

My team, pending on no injuries leading up to the game and until we make 1-2 signings:

-----------------------------------------Roberto/Fabianski-----------------------------------

-Fredericks------------------Balbuena(c)------Diop------------------------Johnson-

------------------------------------------Rice--------Wilshere-------------------------------

-Anderson---------------------------------Fornals------------------------------Lanzini-

-----------------------------------------------Haller-------------------------------------------

Subs: Roberto/Martin, Masuaku, Reid/Ogbonna, Sanchez, Snodgrass, Yarmalenko, Antonio.

Reid is the sub centre half IF fit as I don't trust Ogbonna at all. Otherwise begrudgingly he'll have to go on the bench as we have no one else.

I would then tweak this team to how I'd prefer to be set-up from the Brighton game onwards by taking out one of Lanzini, or Wilshere for hopefully a new central midfielder we desperately need to sign, or one of Noble, or Snodgrass. Noble for me if fit due to his leadership. We will need more bite in midfield.

I predict a classic end to end game, with City just edging it 3-2. Haller and Lanzini with our goals. :crest:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Aceface wrote:Leaving aside all talk of scores etc - when was the last time we had everyone in the squad potentially (I know Fabianski and Noble have minor knocks that might be touch and go) available to play a fixture? Genuinely not sure it’s happened this decade?

There’s a deep ever-present lineage that goes something like Ashton - Parker - Dyer - Hitzlesperger - Carroll underpinning hundreds of other injuries around that spine.
Ace

this is Sunday. it's 5 days of training at our place before the game

:D
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Good point.

I’ve completely ****ed it now.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Aceface wrote:Leaving aside all talk of scores etc - when was the last time we had everyone in the squad potentially (I know Fabianski and Noble have minor knocks that might be touch and go) available to play a fixture? Genuinely not sure it’s happened this decade?

So it wouldn't be West Ham uniess either Haller or Fornals (or both) gets injured in training this week.
continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

Will be very interesting to see who is left out of the match-day squad. Based on the last couple of games, the front six will almost certainly be Rice, Wilshere, Fornals, Lanzini, Anderson, Haller. Centre backs Balbuena and Diop. Full backs could go any way, though I suspect it will be Fredericks and Cresswell.
For the bench that means Chicharito, Antonio, Yarmalenko as attacking options, Sanchez and one full back (Masuaku?) as defensive options (moving Rice to centre back if needed, as he did in a couple of pre-season games), and Snodgrass for the middle of the park. No Noble, no youngsters, no Zabaleta.
djbubbles
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Post by djbubbles »

3-2 to us. They wont know whats hit them. Balbuena, an og and Haller
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 422 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Going with the big lads and Snodgrass to hound Dr Bruyne and take set pieces:

Roberto; Fredericks, Balbuena, Diop, Masuaku; Rice, Snodgrass; Anderson, Fornals, Antonio; Haller.
Subs: Fabianski, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Noble, Wilshere, Lanzini, Hernandez.

Bring on Lanzini and Wilshere on 60 minutes once Snodgrass and Antonio have run themselves into the ground.
BethnalGreenHammer74
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by BethnalGreenHammer74 »

A midfield of Fornals, Lanzini, Wilshere and Anderson looks like a collection of lightweight luxury players. Exciting as this will be in most games, against City we would be asking for trouble.

I would start with this team based on players who are fit, and hoping Fab is fit.

Fab
Fredericks Diop Balbuena Masuaku
Rice Snodgrass
Fornals Wilshere Antonio
Haller

Subs: Roberto Zabaleta Ogbonna Lanzini Anderson Yarmolenko Hernandez