The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

That video is just an example of what he tries to teach. There are plenty of Youtube videos of him with punters, one of his main tenets is "feel the weight of the clubhead" where he has them swinging with either their head looking forward, not at the ball, or even with their eyes closed.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

im gonna watch them this weekend - looks like fun !
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Really looking forward to playing tomorrow.

Been hitting it well lately and have a lesson in the morning to hopefully consolidate my swing rather than tweak it.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote:Really looking forward to playing tomorrow.

Been hitting it well lately and have a lesson in the morning to hopefully consolidate my swing rather than tweak it.
How did you get on?

I am looking forward to playing tomorrow.. last round planned until 5th sept (I know... shocking) but i am sure ill get least 3/4 rounds in august just got none booked in..

panshanger tomorrow for my match play quarter final.. get 13 shots.. going to need every single one of them my mate is on fire at the moment

hopefully last round with a buggy aswell.. whilst its nice now and again I havent enjoyed needing it for 4 rounds.. toe feeling better might try walking a round soon.. wednesday round was annoying ended up on my own in buggy which is just weird and costly lol thursday was good threw so many bottles of water in back was perfect for the heat wave... timed it well
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Didn't play in the end due to the rain, just had a practice down the range after my lesson.

I noticed the last month I had been hitting it so much better, distance has leaped so now my usual 7 iron for a 155-165 approach is now a relatively soft 8 iron (even landed it on the green last week on a 177 par 3 with a decent 8 iron!).

Turns out, through the filming on my lesson, that I have somehow learnt 'leverage' at the top of my swing (basically most amateurs at the very beginning of the down swing have the club rise from a front facing view, so further away from the head/shoulder,but this leverage was having it drop towards my head slightly, thus ending up with the hands more forward on impact).

I'd spent about 6 months trying to get my hands in front of the ball on impact but only really doing it consistently in the last month, giving the big distance gains.

My coach was pleased and said that this leverage is a very difficult thing to coach at all levels as you have to have a relaxed swing. I said that's good luck then as it has just adapted in to my swing with no lesson on it. God knows how I started doing it but I have felt relaxed recently when swinging.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

played maylands yesterday

shot an 87 - bang on my new handicap of +16

other than the 2 triple bogies on the card - i played really well and happy with my game at the moment

only time i messed up was by trying to hit it too hard
V-M
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

27 holes today, out with a pro from our club. Great playing with someone who hits a ball so well.

Gave me a shot per hole and still beat me!
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Lost my match play 3 and 2

Poor putting cost me dearly

4 putted one hole when 3 putts would have levelled it

3 putted 2 holes on spin to end the match when I was on green In one over Reg

I played fantastic otherwise tho

1 over for the par 3s

5 pars in total 3 bogies

Rest poor
V-M
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

August medal today, net 73. Had a net 71 in the last medal and a 72 in the June one.

Consistent.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Brentwood today

32 points

It’s in great condition as always

Drove poor in parts and a couple of poor bunker shots cost me

Great company tho
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Started well today, +2 at the turn then fell apart on the back nine, finishing at +11 :x
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Officially joined a club for the first time this past week. Currently working towards getting my first official handicap and aiming for somewhere around 25-28. I don't want to be above 28 because although that is allowed nowadays under R&A rules I would rather start out at the old maximum for men. I've shot under 100 plenty of times this summer so this should be achievable for me.

First round on Sunday which I intended to use as one of my 3 cards was swiftly thrown out of the window following an 11 on the 5th hole :x Shame as I had parred 5 of the other front 9 holes!
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Knighter10WHU wrote:Officially joined a club for the first time this past week. Currently working towards getting my first official handicap and aiming for somewhere around 25-28. I don't want to be above 28 because although that is allowed nowadays under R&A rules I would rather start out at the old maximum for men. I've shot under 100 plenty of times this summer so this should be achievable for me.

First round on Sunday which I intended to use as one of my 3 cards was swiftly thrown out of the window following an 11 on the 5th hole :x Shame as I had parred 5 of the other front 9 holes!
Hand it in

It really doesn’t matter

For initial handicaps they adjust the card so anything over a double bogey I think it is just goes in the system as a double

So that 11 will be a 7
Johnny Byrne's Boots

^^^^ Yep.Effectively your handicap would be the number of points scored against par (or the standard scratch score for that course if different) subtracted from 36. Anything more than two over on a hole is zero points so that's the worst you can score.
thosewerethedays
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by thosewerethedays »

Is that still true, even though male golfers can now have a handicap of 54?
Would it not be 3 over each hole, is the most you can have, ie 3 shots on each of the 18 holes gives you a handicap of 54?
I don’t know, just guessing, as I have never bothered to get a handicap (golf club heresy, I know).
Johnny Byrne's Boots

37-54 is a club handicap (page 4), designed for beginners and juniors, and is not valid for competitions.
thosewerethedays
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by thosewerethedays »

There is a new version of that CONGU manual for January 2019 (sorry, don’t know how to link) that states that club handicaps no longer exist and all handicaps up to 54 are valid for competitions. That’s why I was assuming the 3 shots per hole. I started to look in the new manual to see how it dealt with the new handicaps of 36 to 54 but it’s so long winded I gave up. The people running golf claim that new rules and handicaps are to make things simpler, shame the manual isn’t smaller then!
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Interesting, thanks for the responses.

The new CONGU manual for 2019 is here: https://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uplo ... Manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The way I am reading that is that the maximum score cap on any given hole is now double par so for example my 11 on Sunday which was on a par 4 would be capped at 8. I also had a 10 on another par 4 so that would also be capped at 8 leaving my total shots down at 102.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Thanks for the updated link :thup:

I started reading it, let's just say you can tell it was written by a committee.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

mumbles87 wrote:Brentwood today

32 points

It’s in great condition as always

Drove poor in parts and a couple of poor bunker shots cost me

Great company tho
Funnily enough I played Brentwood on Sunday and thought it was in terrible nick. Tee boxes uneven and full of divots where they hadn't moved the markers, fairways not cut properly and greens were too long in places and not running true. First time I have played there but a couple of my four ball had been on various occasions over the years and said it's the worst it's been.

The par 5 3rd is a lovely golf hole though. Went for the approach with a 5 iron rather than a simple lay up, pulled it and double bogeyed.