The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by e17 »

GaryP wrote:Chap at training ground on sky told no more deals and pellegrini doing news confernce in 10 mins.
Fantastic.

No Jim White this evening methinks!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

artlin wrote:
Have you got a link for that, mate. Can't find it on Sky Sports. :thup:
It was a three minute segment with most of it a close up of the reporters face. Their was 30 seconds of footage of a number of players jogging and lifting their legs in the air - ALbian, Lanzini, Reid, Hernandez and Johnson i think
Patito

Post by Patito »

coyi1973 wrote: Husillos makes a point today about Ajeti being an in the box player, similar quote earlier this week from Pellegrini regards to Hernandez. Are we expected to have two of the same type of player on the bench?
They're not the same type of player.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

Irrons wrote:So no Obiang replacement then
I think MP sees Sanchez as Rice's reserve. That is a big weakness for me, but it does explain why we've not looked to bring anyone in there.
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3156 likes
Total likes: 2514 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

Andy Carroll will be fit for both West Ham games, and no more than those games. He will score against West Ham in both games.

So sayeth the jealous and spiteful football Gods.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

bobd_uk wrote:
I imagine that £20m CM players may well not fancy coming to a team who play 1 DM and have their highest rated and, arguably, most popular player already inhabiting that position?
That is why opponents come waltzing through our MF and straight on to our CBs or FBs with only Rice offering any real resistance! We don't need or want another solid sitting DM, but we need a partner for Rice that is quicker than Noble, more consistent and switched on than Obiang and more creative than Sanchez.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I still think we are missing a decent defensive midfielder. We need someone who is better than Rice, Sanchez and Noble.
Bernie_Lama
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Bernie_Lama »

wanyama on loan is a no brainer surely. 60-70k wages? small loan fee. cant see a cheaper option of filling that position for a year
bobd_uk

Post by bobd_uk »

Bernie_Lama wrote:wanyama on loan is a no brainer surely. 60-70k wages? small loan fee. cant see a cheaper option of filling that position for a year
No way are Tottenham loaning a player to us unless we throw money at the deal.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Irrons wrote:
So no Obiang replacement then...leaving a potential gap in the squad. Let's all just cross our fingers and toes that Rice doesn't get injured this season and Wilshere, Noble, Snodgrass and Sanchez somehow find an extra yard of pace this year
In the same way fans of all clubs will be crossing their fingers that their best players don't get injured.
You can't provide equal quality back-up in every position, nor legislate for every unlucky occurrence that may happen

I am sure if Rice gets injured Pelligrini, being the experienced manager he is, will have a plan. That's why he gets 100k a week for after all

Would it be great if we had one more really top draw midfielder with defensive abilities? Yes. Is it the end of the world we haven't got one? No
damo
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by damo »

Have you got a link for that, mate. Can't find it on Sky Sports. :thup:
https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... eti-trains
bobd_uk

Post by bobd_uk »

ashbanki wrote: That is why opponents come waltzing through our MF and straight on to our CBs or FBs with only Rice offering any real resistance! We don't need or want another solid sitting DM, but we need a partner for Rice that is quicker than Noble, more consistent and switched on than Obiang and more creative than Sanchez.
I think we're looking to play Rice, Wilshere and Fornals centrally. Not sure where a 2nd DM fits in (unless we just assume Wilshere will be injured). Plus Noble to consider too.

(I actually do think we need another DM - just trying to see it from MPs side!)
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

fjthegrey wrote:Know someone who wants to take his wages off our hands?
Hernandez will know that if he wants to move for first team football or if he wants to go back to Spain, he would need to take a pay-cut. It's a compromise that many players make regularly.
artlin

Post by artlin »

Thanks guys, found it.

Lifting their legs, he? Very sporty. They will be doing lunges next. :oops:

Really must get some better emojis on here.
Italian Hammer
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

Would rather put my faith in an ITK such as Pezza ot the new kind on the block Tackler than what some guy at said at the training ground to Sky Sports TBH.

Let's just wait and see what happens regarding this abracadabra chap.

If we can get him in and free up a non-homegrown slot would be a very good window imo.
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

Westbourne Bill wrote:Hernandez is a proven Prem goal scorer - Ajeti is clearly one for the future with it all to prove at this level which is why he was relatively cheap. I doubt MP has, in his mind, relegated Hernandez to 4th choice striker.
Ajeti is 22, not 17. I would imagine he's been given some assurances of playing time this season, seeing as he is highly ratest. I agree, he may not have consciously made that decision, but I just can't see him picking Hernandez very much at all. He's on too much money to not be a starter and he's going into the last year of his contract. If we did let him go this summer, for say £5m (it would have to be a minimal fee due to his expiring contract and his large wages), then that's £5m towards a future transfer budget and around £7m per year of wages off the books.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Is it the end of the world we haven't got one? No
It's a deficiency we've had in the squad for years now and it's baffling that it still hasn't been addressed whilst we've allowed a player who can play there (Obiang) to leave. Fornals isn't a defensively minded signing so doesn't qualify as a replacement. Guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out but it's disappointing to see every other gap filled quickly and professionally whilst the most glaring one is papered over
Last edited by Irrons on Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun Newton
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Shaun Newton »

After watching this video, I will be upset if I don't see him with crossed forearms by 5!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

His two major attributes:
- Tackling
- Turning defence into attack quickly.

If the asking price of 15mil is true, this is by far one of the biggest cock-ups from the owners. I say owners because Pellegrini said clearly he would replace Obiang.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Given the funds at his disposal (obviously another £20m or so would have been nice, and no doubt should have been available), I think this window has been handled expertly.:

• clear out deadwood - tick

• get your marquee signing(s) in early to take the pressure off and time to bed in - tick

• rationalise the wage bill - tick

• sign young players, old enough to no longer be considered total rookies, young enough to have bags of potential - tick

• bat away approaches for our key players - tick

• shift further towards an attacking, exciting ‘we’ll score one more than you’ approach: the West Ham Way - tick

• keep Sulli out of the press - tick

Obviously signing Ascacibar would be the icing on the cake, but this really doesn’t seem a priority position for Pellegrini or the system he wants to play.

It’s a thumbs up from me.

(Cue last minute sale of Rice to Citeh)
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

Horses for courses. In some matches we won't need to play with two DMs, but in others we will. Our ball retention will be better with the likes of Rice, Wilshere and Fornals in the middle, but I'm still worried about how easy it will be for the opposition to waltz through the middle.