The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

It'll feel like the Arctic to his missus.
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by clawhammer »

I am happy with the window. Good quality in and mainly dross out. Our best window for years.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1976 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

the Barcodes have the new bloke they signed, Joelinton who scored 7 goals last season, Dwight Gale and Wor Andy...

they lost Adoze (sp ?) and Rondon.

they're gonna struggle for goals big time I reckon....

still with Bruce, that won't be their priority...
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

bruce will be gone within 3 months. carroll will be on the treatment table within 3 weeks
Macca1973
Has liked: 1833 likes
Total likes: 1145 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

I like the signings we’ve made, Haller and Fornals will do well but I don’t consider it a successful window as we haven’t addressed what our main problem was last season. I think teams with any pace will just run through our midfield again and get at our back line too easily. I don’t see enough pace energy and movement in Noble, Wilshire and Snodgrass. Too much for Declan to do on his own. Hope I’m wrong but can’t see us improving on 10th, just my opinion.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

hammerman11 wrote:carroll will be on the treatment table within 3 hours
BUT, he'll score a hat-trick against us...
artlin

Post by artlin »

I would just like to say a big thank you to UDC for hes excellent contributions to the thread. Without him we would have been very much in the dark with South American information.

Also, a big thanks to HM11. Not only for hes amazing lists but for staying calm when a potential signing went elsewhere. You have been very patient, sir.

The topic lost it's way from time to time but, on the whole, it has been a vintage year.

:scarfer:
Northbank Bar
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 146 likes

Post by Northbank Bar »

Firstly before everyone jumps on me let me say we have it seems signed 2 very good players.-Also maybe 2 for the future although in recent years most of these players'for the future' havnt made it.
But how Pellegrini claims we have 2 very good players in every position is beyond me.Please tell me who the 4 very good full backs are.We have 2 poor full backs,1 too old,and 2 learning their trade.I don't believe any are good Premier League full backs.-Lets hope I am wrong.
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 511 likes

Post by Ding »

1. Man City
2. Liverpool
3. Spurs
4. Arsenal
5. West Ham
6. Everton
7. Chelsea
8. Man Utd
9. Wolves
10. Leicester

Drunk?
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Yes you are.

15th.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Macca1973 wrote:I like the signings we’ve made, Haller and Fornals will do well but I don’t consider it a successful window as we haven’t addressed what our main problem was last season. I think teams with any pace will just run through our midfield again and get at our back line too easily. I don’t see enough pace energy and movement in Noble, Wilshire and Snodgrass. Too much for Declan to do on his own. Hope I’m wrong but can’t see us improving on 10th, just my opinion.
Too true -We have two very good CBs, but they cannot stem the amount of attacks that walk through the midfield or the shots reining in on Fabianski. We had "suspect" FBs, we still have.We had Rice to protect, we still have,We partnered him with a tiring Noble to start and Obiang to come on we are resting our hope on Sanchez to find the type of form he has never showed consistently anywhere and Wilshere to stay uninjured and rediscover his form pre injuries.Snodgrass will be more likely to be DM cover than winger,imo of which he is quite suspect.I can't see either back up GKs to being as good as Adrian.The attacking line up is ,potentially (if Haller and Fornals adapt and settle) the best we've ever had - We have to hope that's enough!
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Colours never run wrote:
Agree with every word and said as much myself in the past. I do however believe Wilshere is quick.

It's worth noting that the reason he gets injured is because he'd often be sythed down from behind once running with the ball because opponents struggle to keep up with him taking the ball away cleanly. The last resort is for them to kick his ankles which invariably led to a spell out injured. He's a quick dribbler with the ball.
Agreed. He was well known for being quick over the first few yards and escaping tackles in the process, which indeed certainly supports the idea that (in addition to his alleged bad tackling technique) he was often caught late by players not wanting him to get away from them. Whether he still has that initial speed can't say though a spell of fitness will no doubt answer it.

Personally as others have said be it striker or midfielder, pace over those first few yards (especially combined with quick thinking) are more important, as is a change of pace, than outright pace itself though both are nice to have. Payet was a great example of this sort of thing at work to imense benefit.
Last edited by e-20 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 570 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Ding wrote: Drunk?
If you can’t start the season with high hopes, then what’s the point?

If we have better luck with injuries, then it can be done!
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

If they stay fit our first 11 can challenge all but Man City and Liverpool - queue the depression when we get turned over Saturday.

Everyone in the front 6, assuming Wilshere plays alongside Rice, is real quality. We have had 2/3 maybe in the past but I do not recall a time when someone of the quality of Lanzini might be viewed as our weakest starting attacking midfielder and questions asked about whether a player of Wilshere’s pedigree is good enough for our central midfield.

Ultimately is that not what the fans really wanted? Entertaining attacking football as it was way back in the day when, at the same time, getting stuffed by Liverpool was a given - the alleged Shankly quote about 4 points etc.

I am looking forward to watching us play this year, not been so true for a while.
Josie112002
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Josie112002 »

Ding wrote:1. Man City
2. Liverpool
3. Spurs
4. Arsenal
5. West Ham
6. Everton
7. Chelsea
8. Man Utd
9. Wolves
10. Leicester

Drunk?
Why not :scarfer:
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Absolutely
Going to be a good ride this season
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Another good transfer window for the hammers, roll on next Saturday and the start of the season, 8 days and counting. Come on!!!
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:
"S-H"]- Happy for Carroll to get a move back to Newcastle. Good luck to him

I'm gutted. I reckon the cheapskates should bung us at least a couple of million for fixing him up well enough to pass a medical. Our medical department has been hard at work for six years to get him in such good current condition!
Let's hope we made a profit on the scaffolding.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

power up the whu ROLLERCOASTER. more ups than downs I hope this season

top 6 and win the FA Cup

glad the window has closed, no more lists for a few days !
NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer »

Macca1973 wrote:I like the signings we’ve made, Haller and Fornals will do well but I don’t consider it a successful window as we haven’t addressed what our main problem was last season. I think teams with any pace will just run through our midfield again and get at our back line too easily. I don’t see enough pace energy and movement in Noble, Wilshire and Snodgrass. Too much for Declan to do on his own. Hope I’m wrong but can’t see us improving on 10th, just my opinion.
Agree. We've done some very good business in an orderly and cost-effective way. We really need Fredericks to improve a lot and Arthur to tighten up his defensive side. Let's hope Declan/Wilshire stay fit. It's clear Pellegrini has a system and it's built for attack. It's going to be fun but I can't see us getting above 8th.