The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

e17
Has liked: 291 likes
Total likes: 976 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by e17 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:bloody hell Arsenal are running out of time...they only have another 12 days left to complete all of their deals...

:D
Fixed that me old mucker
OohAahButler
Has liked: 570 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

WCpete wrote:Aaaand it’s shut.
Balls.

Now I have to spend the rest of my holiday reading my book, or (shudder) engaging with my family.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

artlin wrote:I would just like to say a big thank you to UDC for hes excellent contributions to the thread. Without him we would have been very much in the dark with South American information.

Also, a big thanks to HM11. Not only for hes amazing lists but for staying calm when a potential signing went elsewhere. You have been very patient, sir.

The topic lost it's way from time to time but, on the whole, it has been a vintage year.
:scarfer:
I agree UDC was a breath of fresh air and far easier to decipher than most of us are to him most like, or to me much of the time indeed. Disappointed he didn't bite on my oh so subtle Harry Potter response a few pages back but can't have it all.

Ok more importantly who's turn to buy the cake? Lemon Drizzle for me rather than the 70s favorite Black Forest Gateau of last year in celebration of all the old gits in the squad.
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

Looking at our top rivals to gatecrash the top 6:

Leicester: Some decent spending, Tielemans is quite the coup for them. Lost Maguire though so will be interesting to see how they cope with the loss of arguably their best player. I think they are our greatest threat for best of the rest.

Wolves: Couple decent signings and Cutrone could prove to be a master stroke if he lives up to his potential. Biggest thing will be how they cope with Europa. Think they might struggle with a relatively thin squad if they get any injuries. They were extremely fortunate last season with injuries.

Everton: Gomes is good but doesn’t improve them since he was there last season. Gbamin has a huge task ahead replacing their best player in Gueye. Didn’t bring in a CB and inexplicably spent £40m on Iwobi. Decent player, but not going to be the difference for them. Missing out on Zaha forced them into a panic buy, and I can see them struggling.

Watford: Other than Sarr, did they really improve? Can’t see them challenging us.

Which brings me to us: I believe it can only get better this season. Other than Arnie, didn’t really lose anyone who contributed greatly to our season, and we replaced him with a top quality ST! Also getting Lanzini, Yarmo and even Sanchez back for most of the season can only help. Hopefully a little better luck in the injury department this season will see us competing for top 6!

Really looking forward to this season. Well done Pellegrini, Husillos and even the board for the work done this window!
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I've been pleased with this window. We can't sign everyone we need but we have got some decent quality young players in, whilst shaving off some of the deadwood.

I did think kouyate and obiang would be good for us but they aren't, and they have gone.

I trust Pellegrini and think we have a couple of wild cards that could be retrospectively brilliant signings, time will tell.

The way I see it, with the wage bill cut and arguably a decently improved squad, it seems like a longer term approach where the fruits of this labour will pay off.

I'm happy with anywhere around 10th in the league,as long as we get a good cup run/win.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1514 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

We’ve got younger and almost certainly improved generally.

Predictions for the season. We will definitely flirt with both relegation and The Champions League at various points in the season.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3201 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Northbank Bar wrote:Firstly before everyone jumps on me let me say we have it seems signed 2 very good players.-Also maybe 2 for the future although in recent years most of these players'for the future' havnt made it.
But how Pellegrini claims we have 2 very good players in every position is beyond me.Please tell me who the 4 very good full backs are.We have 2 poor full backs,1 too old,and 2 learning their trade.I don't believe any are good Premier League full backs.-Lets hope I am wrong.
He definitely should have said that at the press conference instead.
doomhunk
Has liked: 1 like

Post by doomhunk »

pezza20 wrote:Has anyone thought to stop and think maybe the youngster we have just signed is seen as a potential Rice back up option ....
I thought he may have been brought in to play alongside Rice as an additional CDM for when we need more cover. Do I win £5?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

We get a bit of luck for a change avoiding key long term injuries like some other Clubs have previously enjoyed, we will be top 6. Convinced of that.

The squad is very strong should we get the occasional injury that doesn't last long. Easier said than done with our cursed past though.
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

S-H wrote:Another good transfer window for the hammers, roll on next Saturday and the start of the season, 8 days and counting. Come on!!!
:D
e17

Post by e17 »

I’d be happy with finishing 12th if we won a cup and played good football along the way.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

No way we will finish top 6. I think we should just focus on staying in the league and making a serious attempt for the league cup. None of this playing weakened teams cobblers. It's never worked following onto the next league game anyway.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

£31m net spend (and still actively searching the market) puts paid to the rumours earlier in the summer we only had a budget of £20-25m. We were never 'skint', the money was always there if Pellegrini wanted it.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I think we’ll finish 10th this season. On paper we’re close to the top 6, but not close enough.

Really sorry that hammerman11 didn’t get his man (Hayden) in the end. There’s always January.
artlin

Post by artlin »

OohAahButler wrote:
Now I have to spend the rest of my holiday reading my book, or (shudder) engaging with my family.
I am off for TWO MONTHS in the sun.

I shall mostly be spending my time in my bar of choice getting rat arsed and singing karaoke.

Bring it on.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1193 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Colours never run wrote:£31m net spend (and still actively searching the market) puts paid to the rumours earlier in the summer we only had a budget of £20-25m. We were never 'skint', the money was always there if Pellegrini wanted it.
I distinctly remember you posting that you expected us to spend the same as last year so I don't know what you are on about, we spent approximately what was suggested by the clubs mouthpiece website.
amsterdhammer
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Post by amsterdhammer »

ashbanki wrote:Let's see how they perform on the pitch first !! Not one of the recruits (bar third choice GK) has any experience in England - We have weakened our DM position (Obiang not replaced) People ,naively, seem to think that our offensive players will defend from the front.I hope I'm wrong, but,for the sake of a £10m- £20m decent DM we are not going to realise the ambitions of at least two of our "better players" (Rice,Diop, Anderson,et al) or the potential of our vast array of attacking players ,which will see inevitable departures at the end of the season,imo.
I blame Sullivan for his lack of proper investment and Pellegrini for ignoring the "gaping weakness"(Rice excluded) that is our DM which is exacerbated by very average and inconsistent(in defense) FBs! It was plain to see much of last season and still there in this summer's friendlies,imo.
I'll bet you're a big hit at parties! We've just had a really good window after another one last summer, and you're still whining because it's not perfect? Come on, be realistic, we're improving window on window as Pelle builds the team he wants, it won't happen overnight but he's getting there quicker than most of us would've imagined and you're still moaning? ffs
e17

Post by e17 »

The mouthpiece website claimed 30 million “plus all money brought in from sales” 3 months ago - Not 25 million - so technically they got net spend wrong and over estimated, no?
Colours never run

Metal Hammer wrote:
I distinctly remember you posting that you expected us to spend the same as last year.
You definitely didn't hear that from me!
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

8th or 9th is my bet