West Ham Utd 0-5 Manchester City (10/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Manchester City: Massacre Thread (10/8)

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:Lovely screen shot of Cresswell with how many yards start on Walker ?

That's 5 more goals conceded to add to the 11 in 6 friendlies.

Can't go on like that. I just hope we don't waste the first 4-6 games coming to terms with it like we've done in the last three years.
As mentioned previously the CBs all over the shop as well for that goal. Diop not really doing anything and then Jesus allowed to nip in and get enough on the cross to turn it past Fabianski. He ahouldnt be getting to that first when he was only forward in the box
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

Everyone apart from Liverpool are miles behind city it won’t be just us that gets turned over this year.

Saying that there were some worrying performances yesterday, Diop, Jack, cresswell, the speed at which city play is scary let’s hope the boss can sort the players and his tactics out for next week as it looks like Brighton aren’t going to be a walk over.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

[quote="pezza20"]I would say that people need to look at he stats.

The reason City won was they were absolutely clinical. Fab had just one save to make aside from picking the ball out of the net 5 times, and each time City got into scoring positions they did just that - this is why they are Champions.

Whilst the score flattered the per se they were much better than us second half and I suspect Pep went ballistic at half time because in truth they should have been behind, Lanzini penalty appeal was solid and I was amazed VAR didn't review it.

Cresswell is shot though - offers nothing going forward and can ot defend for toffee. Diop was awful and should have come across to cover Cresswell when it was clear what was unfolding. A few of our players were off form and that it when you are going to get done by better teams, all this continues talk about had we had a DCM in there.... it probably would have led to the same result.

Anyway on to next week and hopefully better things.[/

Arguably the best club side I have seen live purely because they do both sides of the game extremely well. The city players are all exceptional footballers who don’t need more than 3 touches. They always look fitter than most because their brains are light years ahead of most and in the main that is also down to the manager. He has them drilled for every possible outcome. Other than the days of bergkamp, Henry, pires etc I’ve never seen a team glide across a pitch like this city side.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

They're a unique team, Man City.

We may have been much poorer in the 2nd half than the 1st but I don't think I've ever seen a team that can absolutely wallop another team without being that on top; they can turn a game quicker than any other team I've seen.
MAC08
Has liked: 42 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by MAC08 »

Don’t understand why we needed to make any changes at HT. Certainly don’t know why at 2-0 down we put on more and more attackers. Just shut up shop and accept 2-0 against the champions. I think most fans would have accepted that.
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

I'm generally a big fan of how Pellegrini are setting us up to play some good football. But I certainly enjoyed that backs-to-the-wall performance against them under Bilic more than this.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
As mentioned previously the CBs all over the shop as well for that goal. Diop not really doing anything and then Jesus allowed to nip in and get enough on the cross to turn it past Fabianski. He ahouldnt be getting to that first when he was only forward in the box
If Balbuena is any closer he would be inside Jesus' shorts. Diop gets a foot to the cross so the idea that they are miles off is something I disagree with.

Diop had some shocking moments yesterday, but that wasn't one of them.

Cresswell will always be a prime target for opposition attacks due to his physical shortcomings.
Graza

Post by Graza »

PlaistowIron wrote:Jayhammer - point 8 is a good one. They are very good at ‘tactical’ fouling. Any hint of a counter, they take the man down. I can’t understand why no one was booked though.

For the second goal, one of our men needs to take down De Bruyne and take a yellow for the team. We’re way too naive in such situations.
Shearer even praised them for it.

Towards the end of the first half the crowd was getting on the ref about it and he looked like he was only a dozen or so more fouls away from possibly considering doing something about it...
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

WorcesterWHU wrote:They're a unique team, Man City.

We may have been much poorer in the 2nd half than the 1st but I don't think I've ever seen a team that can absolutely wallop another team without being that on top; they can turn a game quicker than any other team I've seen.
There is no doubt about that for me
It isn't just about spending money but spending it on the right players and then getting them playing
When their goalkeeper plays it to a CB in his own area you think that is madness but then in a blink of an eye they have passed it around our forward press and are on the edge of our box.
when we win the ball you think "right we have a chance here" but before you know it they are all back in position. Players like David Silva, De Bruyne and sterling don't just have amazing quickness of thought and movement when attacking but work incredibly hard when they don't have it.
As I have said on another thread, their dominance won't last forever IMHO but at the moment they are near perfect in everything they do
Sloffy

Post by Sloffy »

Haven’t read the whole thread so apologies if I repeat anything that’s been discussed, but my take on it is this.

Man City have the best players in the league. You will not beat them at their own game. I salute MP for having a blueprint, but there’s a reason why we regularly get hammered by City.

IMO the biggest mistake was taking off Antonio. He offers something different, that City have to think about. Spurs did similar in CL with Lorente, and Liverpool have the (much) upgraded version of Antonio, in Mane. These guys are different to what City are used to. Antonio for all his faults has pace and strength, tippy tippy midfielders will not out football Manchester City.

Good first 30minutes tho, and while the backline boys are taking a bit of a rinsing on here, they won’t come up against footballers like that very often.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

The Antonio substitution was a massive surprise; I can only think (hope) that he had a knock as he was having a great impact in the first half.
traxop

Post by traxop »

Had a chance to rewatch the game again. Although we didn't necessarily threaten in the first half, it was nonetheless an encouraging performance.

The ball movement was tidy, the initial part of the breaks on the counter were also well executed but the final pass/decision was poor - and that prevent us from actually converting those breaks into actual shots. Sometimes I wish we would pull the trigger more readily and take a shot from outside the box. We were in some decent spots where a shot could've been attempted.

I was really surprised at the end of the first half, we've managed around ~230 passes with 82% accuracy compared to City's ~290 passes with 87% accuracy. We were definitely in the game at that point.

As for the second half, we started slow and they caught us. There were still small spells in the second where we threaten. In the end that scoreline got somewhat inflated with the 4th and 5th goal coming in the last 5 mins.

Could have been easier on the scoreboard if the game ended at 3-1(recalling Ederson's point blank double saves) . At the same time, some of City's final balls leading to the goals were inch perfect and it's at those times you just have to say their quality shone through.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Totally outclassed and made worst by a few very poor performances, Cresswell being made to look league 1 by nearly all that attacked his side . Rice and Wilshere together with a wasteful Lanzini an apathetic Anderson did not work at all.
Haller and Antonio were doing ok and i am agreeing that he lacked his defensive duties a lot of the time but without him we looked porous with no real attacking threat at all.

Balbuena looked ragged Diop a very bad day , Fredricks did well but very few positives from that .
Pellegrini needs to find a way of stemming the goals against as we ship them alarmingly easily.

We had very little possession i side their 18 yard box and it is hard to remember much at all .

It feels a lot like last season we run out of juice after 35 mins
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

This Manchester City team will dominate the league for years, and probably the cups as well. Just look what they did to Watford in the cup final.

5-0 is embarrassing yes, and against anyone else I'd be livid. But honesty Manchester City just fill me with apathy.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

As a slight aside. I wonder what instructions Snodgrass was given. He didn’t make a single tackle, interception, clearance or block a shot...and his heatmap was a fair bit further up the pitch than Wilshere. Did Pellegrini give him instructions to be more attacking than Wilshere to get back into the game which backfired? **** or bust.
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

I really don’t get those digging out Cresswell for that goal. Kyle Walker looked like he would have beat Usain Bolt yesterday. He sprinted past Antonio, and there aren’t many that can do that. He absolutely destroyed Lanzini too, to the point that Manu then did not want to take him on later in the second half and just kept passing back inside.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

HammerPDC wrote:
You can almost guarantee we’ll concede 55 minimum again this season
I said this over a week ago.

But I’ve also said, that if our perceived players are so good, and I’m talking about Rice, Balbuena,Diop and Fabianski are so good then why do we concede so many goals?
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

If Pellegrini is continue to be lazy and not going to take things seriously against the top teams I wont be coming along. E ticketing and watch us be embarrassed on the tv in future.
All this free and easy stuff might work at Brighton but yesterday was a disgrace. No way that would have happened with Moyes or Allardyce.
No. I'm not preferring them to Pelli but he needs to be a bit more flexible in his approach going forward.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

traxop wrote:Had a chance to rewatch the game again. Although we didn't necessarily threaten in the first half, it was nonetheless an encouraging performance.

The ball movement was tidy, the initial part of the breaks on the counter were also well executed but the final pass/decision was poor - and that prevent us from actually converting those breaks into actual shots. Sometimes I wish we would pull the trigger more readily and take a shot from outside the box. We were in some decent spots where a shot could've been attempted.

I was really surprised at the end of the first half, we've managed around ~230 passes with 82% accuracy compared to City's ~290 passes with 87% accuracy. We were definitely in the game at that point.

As for the second half, we started slow and they caught us. There were still small spells in the second where we threaten. In the end that scoreline got somewhat inflated with the 4th and 5th goal coming in the last 5 mins.

Could have been easier on the scoreboard if the game ended at 3-1(recalling Ederson's point blank double saves) . At the same time, some of City's final balls leading to the goals were inch perfect and it's at those times you just have to say their quality shone through.

I'm going to go with this too - :thup:

I don't know who or what compiles the fixtures for the season but I can't recall an easy opening game but having said that if you take out Manchester City and Liverpool I'd fancy our chances against anyone so drawing both those teams in consecutive seasons doesn't make for an encouraging start so the best thing we can do is forget that game and look to the positives of which there were many [ see above post ] .
Don't judge this new team against the likes of a club who can literally buy the Premier League - yes they're a talented team , yes they've got the best manager but any club with Sheikh Mansour as their owner could achieve what Manchester City have done .

Bring on the rest of the Premier League - I'm still confident we'll finish 7th .

:crest:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

carnage wrote:
I said this over a week ago.

But I’ve also said, that if our perceived players are so good, and I’m talking about Rice, Balbuena,Diop and Fabianski are so good then why do we concede so many goals?
Hmm :think: Well. you've got me there. Erm, say, you don't think they are not as good as we all think they are do you and that we've overrated them ?