Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by Faithless »

BillUp wrote:I wasn't aware Jose played hoof ball. Allardyce certainly does.
They're two sides of the same coin. They play almost identical styles of football the only difference is the amount they spend on the players to do it.
BillUp
Location: If God wanted us to play football in the clouds, he would have put grass there. Brian Clough.
Has liked: 1 like

Post by BillUp »

They're two sides of the same coin.
The money aside. Allardyce played hoof ball all the time. Jose played it when he thought it was needed. Its what happens when you have Fellaini in the team. :D
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Mourinho, goodness no. And there would be expectation on him even here - as there is on Pellegrini
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I’d be f*cking livid if Mourinho came anywhere near out club.

Hateful person and his methods are completely outdated.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Nigel Pearson laid the foundations for Ranieri to win the Premier League , he's out of a job just now having been sacked by Derby County for rowing with the owner then by Oud-Heverlee Louven after just 4 months in charge .
He'd scare Sullivan that's for sure . :)
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

BillUp wrote:The money aside. Allardyce played hoof ball all the time. Jose played it when he thought it was needed. Its what happens when you have Fellaini in the team. :D
Think we'll have too agree to disagree on that one :lol: They have the same game plan and team building blueprint, you can't really take the money away from it; you buy Carroll when you can't afford a Drogba, you end up with Javis when you can't afford Robben, can't have Lampard running off the big guy try a Nolan instead...
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

hammer1975 wrote:Mourinho, goodness no. And there would be expectation on him even here - as there is on Pellegrini
There’s no real expectation here on Pellegrini.

He’s made noises himself about finishing higher than last season in the table but he’s got a pretty cushty little job here where he can spend a bit of money on players and the pressure on him seems low.

8th - 12th in the table with some good, passing football and a half decent cup run is about the target.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

it's not like pellegrini is having sheikh billions dropped on him. he had a decent spend in his first season, nothing like the touted £100m though and it came from years of financial neglect.

his second season is a bang average budget for a midtable side. definitely will end up in profit for the year.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
No one was as defensively minded as Fat Sam , remind what was the aggregate score when we met them in the semi final of the League Cup ?

I'll save you the time .
I
9-0 .

So , you can either watch a backs to the wall performance for 90 mins and lose 0-3 or you can watch us trying to give them a game and lose 0-5 - each time we lose but at least you've seen a bit of football .
There is an element of heroism to a backs to the wall performance - like a football version of the Alamo. If it comes off it is even more satisfying, while a close-run defeat feels like something of an achievement.

Just going through the usual motions and getting thrashed just seems like you are allowing the other superior team to have their way with you. You aren’t even challenging them to raise their game.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Cellar-door wrote: It's arguably the best team in the history of the league, if his tactics cost us anything it's maybe a goal or two in that we played to win instead of packing our own 18 and trying to squeak out a dire and boring 3-0 loss. I'd much rather we attempt to win even when overmatched than just bunker down for 94 minutes in the hope of protecting goal differential.
It’s not though. The Man Utd treble winning side or the side that had Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez were better. I also think the first “Mourinho team” (he didn’t really built it, Ranieri did) could beat them. That team was like a footballing boa constrictor. Only Rafa (through luck and good tactics) prevented them winning a European Cup.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Playing devil's advocate you could argue we got lucky we finished 10th last season.

If Watford wasn't in the FA Cup final would they have dropped all those points to have finished below us?

And if we then finished 11th would we all of said the season was a success? I most certainly wouldn't of.
Patito

Post by Patito »

funky chicken wrote:Playing devil's advocate you could argue we got lucky we finished 10th last season.
Could also argue we were unlucky to have finished there too...
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

The thing that worries me is that all the other teams can see we have a glaring hole in defensive midfield. That to me is down to the manager.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Patito wrote: Could also argue we were unlucky to have finished there too...
But that wouldnt suit his agenda...
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

thejackhammer wrote:But that wouldnt suit his agenda...
What agenda would that be?

It's a solid argument. And if you could bother to trawl through my posts in the past you would realise who I tend to point the finger at the most. His first name is David and is the height of Danny DeVito.

It doesn't mean questions should never be asked about Pellegrini. That is afterall what the forum is for. To express your opinions.

Unless you have anything valuable to add to the thread, which presumably you don't with a reply as laughable and as lazy as the one above, I would suggest you avoid posting in this thread in future. :)
Patito

Post by Patito »

funky chicken wrote: It's a solid argument.
Is it though? It smacks of revisionism in hindsight to me. I get that you're just playing Devil's Advocate though. :thup:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

We had a glaring hole in midfield against Man City once our heads dropped, and they smelt blood, but for most of the first half we were pretty decent I thought.

Most midfields will be exposed by that Man City side, against teams in and around us, our midfield is fine, attack is the best form of defence.... :wink:

Yeah, Man City spanked us, but in other news water is wet, the result changes nothing regarding the season for me.

People are far too reactional on this forum at times, losing hurts of course it does, but perspective is needed, we finished 10th last year and have recruited well, other teams have improved also, but we are more than good enough to finish higher this season, Man City are the best side this league has ever seen in terms of quality and consistency, they have the best manager/coach in world football, they were never going to be complacent, not on his watch.

City have had our number for a while now, it has to be a deep-rooted phycological issue for us, we expect to lose so are beaten, even if we are playing well and concede, you can see any confidence we might have had just disappear, and we fold like a deck of cards, the City players must literally be able to smell blood.

Pellegrini has shown that he will only play one way, rightly or wrongly, but that's what he does, the rest is with the players and how they cope mentally.

I would like to see him mix up a bit though, he goes on about the big club mentality, maybe he thinks we are bigger than what we are? Expecting us to go toe to toe with league's best, who knows, but the mentalist inside me loves to see it, I love that we have a go, no matter who the opposition, of course there will be games where we stink the place out, but there will also be games where we blow the opposition away.

The best thing I can recommend is to just enjoy the highs, but don't get too despondent with the lows, of which there might be a few, but we are West Ham, nothing is ever easy.

I think this season will be fun.

:crest:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Hear hear S-H :thup:
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

funky chicken wrote:
What agenda would that be?

It's a solid argument. And if you could bother to trawl through my posts in the past you would realise who I tend to point the finger at the most. His first name is David and is the height of Danny DeVito.

It doesn't mean questions should never be asked about Pellegrini. That is afterall what the forum is for. To express your opinions.

Unless you have anything valuable to add to the thread, which presumably you don't with a reply as laughable and as lazy as the one above, I would suggest you avoid posting in this thread in future. :)
'What if Watford played better?' is the antithesis of a solid argument.

Especially compared to the legitimate refereeing mistakes in multiple games that cost us points, Man City, Liverpool, Leicester, Man United.

I understand your point re investment in the past, but it's very difficult to toot that horn now.
Whilst it's likely that the issue is Sullivan, Pellegrini gave a new long contract to Masuaku and has made Cresswell captain, and we seemingly didnt so much as bid for a central midfielder in the summer.

As far as we're aware Pellegrini got what he wanted this summer.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

I think with pell he is saying to the team... I dont care who we play or how much we lose by, I want us to play fluent, sharp passing football and we will keep doing it until we are comfortable doing it. Its just when you do it vs city the outcome is usually certain death.

I like Pells stubbornness and i dont care if we have to lose a few games while we learn how to keep the ball better.
(Yes anderson I'm looking at you mate)
He's still class though.