Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 West Ham Utd (17/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Re: ⚽ Brighton and Hove Albion vs West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by HammerAl »

There seems to be so much (probably too much) responsibility put on Rice’s shoulders in every game. If anything happens to him during a game, or during the season, we are in trouble.

It looks a bit like we’re still in pre-season, having played the first two games like they’re friendlies. Not a huge amount of intensity, cohesion or game-plan. In recent years it could have been because we were either unprepared or de-motivated, but I’m hoping this season it’s more because we’re a work in progress and we’ll get our acts together over the next few weeks, rather than anything more worrying.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

61dicksey wrote:Trouble is if we get no sign of improving or any ambition from G&S players like Anderson, Lanzini , Haller etc will want away as that has already been muted by Haller , why would they stay only to go struggle to go toe to toe with Brighton and the like. I am sure these type of players were spun a line by Sullivan and we all know that is b*llocks.
I am sure we will improve but always seem to be a project never near finished.
If we don't improve then these players won't have performed and thus won't be in demand

If we do play well and improve then these players will attract the attention of better teams higher up the food chain and will probably leave
Phil S
Has liked: 459 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Phil S »

Is it too much to ask that the players come over and say thanks for the support?
When they win you can count on all of them to come over and lap it up...today there was 5 and a reluctant Antonio who was persuaded to come over by Snodders.

As for Snodders, came out post match and had his photo done with loads of our fans

I thanked him for caring...top man he is

Poor performance
VAR is still :thdn:
my head hurts
Hi Pinky
Our season starts next week
Crouchend_Hammer

HammerAl wrote:There seems to be so much (probably too much) responsibility put on Rice’s shoulders in every game. If anything happens to him during a game, or during the season, we are in trouble.
Whilst he is expected to do a bit much, he hasn't started the season very well IMHO
Early days of course so I expect him to improve like the rest of the team
Crouchend_Hammer

Phil S wrote:Is it too much to ask that the players come over and say thanks for the support?
When they win you can count on all of them to come over and lap it up...today there was 5 and a reluctant Antonio who was persuaded to come over by Snodders.

As for Snodders, came out post match and had his photo done with loads of our fans

Poor performance
VAR is still :thdn:
my head hurts
Hi Pinky
Our season starts next week
Snodgrass is a real top top dude. No question
61dicksey
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 435 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

I meat a team collectively , they might perform as well as they can but get let down by colleagues Crouchy and get frustrated , that is my concern.
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Colours never run wrote:Fornals understandably is struggling to adapt instantly to the Prmier Leagues intensity and the way we play the game here, compared to Spain.

He also needs to learn quickly that to pop a pass off quickly before expecting some contact, won't automatically mean he'll win a free kick either, no matter how loud he squeals. Refs don't buy that as much here and play will be waved on which is clearly alien to him. If anything, someone needs to kick a couple of lumps (nothing too heavy mind) out of him in training to get used to it, that this will happen and you won't always win a foul.
He may turn out to be great....but when we clearly have major issues in the full back positions and DM positions, he does seem a bit of a gamble to blow nearly half of our paltry transfer budget on. Seems like a fish out of water and has a lot to learn which hopefully will come.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Whilst he is expected to do a bit much, he hasn't started the season very well IMHO
Early days of course so I expect him to improve like the rest of the team
I thought he was really good today. He was poor against City but that game was a bit of a write off. I hope MP can find a system to accommodate someone to play next to Rice, as he’s currently being left wide open without any support.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Invariably poor without Antonio and Noble. They can’t go on forever.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

thejackhammer wrote:Brighton put 3 past Watford, Everton who everyone seems to think could make the top 6 only put one past Watford.

Brighton only put one past us.

We are better than Everton and Watford.
:lol:
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Phil S wrote:Is it too much to ask that the players come over and say thanks for the support?

:thup: He took that left-footed shot very well, even though it was saved. At least he hit the target.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

Went to the game today, sitting amongst the 'hardcore' Brighton fans in the north stand with a mates season ticket. They were all quite frustrated to only get a point and on the balance of play it was hard to disagree with them.

Hernandez took his goal very well, but I'm still not convinced that a goal is worth 90 minutes of being beaten in the air by opposition defenders. Bringing antonio on was much needed, tbh I would start him every game as he brings directness and an aerial presence, different to the rest of the midfield.

Let's hope we've escaped this game without sustaining any more injuries!
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2410 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Beavis Danzig wrote:---------fabianski
fred--(TBC)-(TBC)--(TBC)
--------rice---noble
antonio--lanzini--anderson
-----------haller

XI is beginning to write itself.
Do you think Pellegrini would pick that team if everyone’s fit?
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

Should also add that having VAR when you're at the game is terrible - it's not clear what's going on and it ruins that 'moment' of celebrating a goal - plus you find yourself constantly checking if the ref has his hand to his ear.

We benefitted from it today, but I hope it's not here to stay - fans chanting for it whenever there's a tussle in the box just feels a bit rubbish and unnatural.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

+1 in regard to what we can normally expect points wise from these fixtures. Players like Balbuena and Diop did not suddenly become sh*t overnight and Fornals needs time.

The team will click in time and no need to panic.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 781 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

i was watching at home and the goal still felt like we'd put in a goalscoring application and were waiting 5-10 working days for an official reply.
Kialos
Has liked: 1545 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

The first half looked like the team had not been through any kind of scouting or preparation. Everyone in the stadium bar seemingly the West Ham manager and coaching staff knew that Brighton had some big units not afraid of putting themselves about.

Ogbonna captain? Laughable. As for his "defending" for their off side goal, casual and pathetic.

Arthur was the best of the rest in defence which was routinely cut open by Brighton. Lanzini and Rice were good all game. Snodgrass poor first half, slightly better second and unlucky not to score. Wilshere, presumably started the game injured did nothing. Fornals was OK.

Hernandez hit and miss but any striker would struggle with the crap service he received.

Second half once Antonio, who should always have started, and Yarmo came on, we improved but usually I am disappointed when we take the lead and then concede but not today. We did not deserve to win, just about deserved the draw on the second half showing only. First half we could have conceded 3 or 4.
Ingwe
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ingwe »

ironilunga wrote:+1 in regard to what we can normally expect points wise from these fixtures. Players like Balbuena and Diop did not suddenly become sh*t overnight and Fornals needs time.

The team will click in time and no need to panic.
This. :eh:
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1675 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

We're already 1 point up from last season!
Patito

Post by Patito »

EastleighHammer16 wrote:We're already 1 point up from last season!
Too much positivity for here mate :)