Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 West Ham Utd (17/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: ⚽ Brighton and Hove Albion vs West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by richneal »

The gaffer's tactics of playing midgets vs Land of the Giants is interesting. How many balls did we even get close to on goal kicks? How many corners and crosses did Brighton have a free header?

Anyhow, great result for us because it was totally undeserved to nick a point. The only thing that gave us that point was Brighton's poor shooting - they must have blown at least five clear-cut chances over the bar. Most days and against most teams we won't be that lucky. Lanzini did very well for the goal, but we have to face it, we were very lucky the ball dribbled into the net after the Brighton keeper did the right thing and got a very solid hand to it.

IMHO opinion both Masuaku and Ogbonna had a mare - both made some glaring errors losing thier man and and both gave the ball away right around our own 18.

By my count we had one shot on target - we only made their keeper work once. Those are the stats that kill us - in the sense they show a profile of a team that can barely get into decent shooting positions. In most games and against most teams - when we're playing well - we need stats of between 3 - 5 shots on target for each goal we actually score. Today was a fluke and we totally got lucky.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by JonG86 »

If Norwich can play the way they're playing with the players they have, we should be able to achieve more with the players we have.

Responsibility for underperforming talent, lack of a system and poor set piece defence (AGAIN?!) lies at the feet of the coach imo.

We could have the Guardiola Barcelona team and would still make Brighton look like world beaters.
Patito

Post by Patito »

richneal wrote: By my count we had one shot on target
Well your count is a load of b*llocks then ain’t it because I didn’t even watch half the game and yet off the top of my head you’ve got Chicharito’s goal plus Snodgrass’ shot so there’s two shots on target from the off. Sorry it doesn’t fit your boring agenda.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I thought we were pretty decent for the first 25 minutes or so before losing our way towards the end of the first half.

Pellegrini obviously went a bit Sun Tzu on us: when your opposition is a team of giants, field a team of dwarves.

That might sound great but, unless you're playing in a coal mine, will undoubtably turn out to be b*llocks and I suspect we'll miss the sheer physical presence of Arnautovic more than we'd like this term.

Fortunately, Pellers saw the error of his ways and Antonio at least gave their backline something to think about.

Brighton were overall the better side though and it looks as if some of the hype surrounding Potter might well be justified.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

JonG86 wrote:If Norwich can play the way they're playing with the players they have, we should be able to achieve more with the players we have.

Responsibility for underperforming talent, lack of a system and poor set piece defence (AGAIN?!) lies at the feet of the coach imo.

We could have the Guardiola Barcelona team and would still make Brighton look like world beaters.
Norwich have a striker on form, Pukki looks very good and his first goal was a belter - that sort of confidence tends to run through the whole team as they know there's a good chance to win each week. Hopefully Haller will get going and offer us something similar.
e17
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 976 likes

Post by e17 »

We were nowhere near as bad as some are claiming
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 177 likes

Post by James P »

Wilshere was pony

Antonio & Yarmolenko made us look far more dangerous

I think I saw Laffers

Good trip
Ribbot
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ribbot »

I think with Anderson and Haller on pitch,
today would have played very differently
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Paolopaul wrote: Norwich have a striker on form, Pukki looks very good and his first goal was a belter - that sort of confidence tends to run through the whole team as they know there's a good chance to win each week. Hopefully Haller will get going and offer us something similar.
It's not just Pukki though. They are committed to playing out from the back, they maintain possession and create chances at a fair clip as well.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Just watching MOTD.

First half Wilshere loses the ball and it was 6 Brighton players on 5 of ours.

Their goal was 4 Brighton on 3 of ours.

Maupay put one over the bar late on. 3 v 3.

Every time was because the midfield don't track back. Fornals, Snodgrass, Lanzini, Wilshere and even Rice constantly letting people run beyond them.

Just watch the game back. Not one of them can be relied on to do the basics defensively. We have to drop one of them for another sitting midfielder.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

JonG86 wrote:
It's not just Pukki though. They are committed to playing out from the back, they maintain possession and create chances at a fair clip as well.
You may well be right, but early to say how they'll fare in the premier league, as so far they've had a free hit away at Liverpool (where they went 4-0 down by half time) and what may be the easiest game of the season at home to Newcastle.

I get your point though as they do look like they play the right way so far.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

DannyboyDJL wrote:Just watching MOTD.

First half Wilshere loses the ball and it was 6 Brighton players on 5 of ours.

Their goal was 4 Brighton on 3 of ours.

Maupay put one over the bar late on. 3 v 3.

Every time was because the midfield don't track back. Fornals, Snodgrass, Lanzini, Wilshere and even Rice constantly letting people run beyond them.

Just watch the game back. Not one of them can be relied on to do the basics defensively. We have to drop one of them for another sitting midfielder.
I do agree that without Anderson our attacking midfielders don't track back enough, but one issue consistently has been that we can't build out of the back. the back 6 (Fab, FBs, CBs, Rice) have been terrible at getting the ball to the front 5 in positions where they can do something with it. Far too many punts, giveaways, or leading them into a sideline trap with no exit. We can't break from defense because we can't put our AM into space. The few times we did were the goal and several of our other real chances.
SRXT
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by SRXT »

Saw the highlights and thought our defence looked awful from that, so thought I'd come in here to get an idea. I feel like I've stumbled into the opposition's view when we beat a team supposedly better than us, then we call them mugs for fuming at the result.

What I don't understand is how someone can feel good saying the team is going to get relegated, the manager is overrated etc.? It's the same for us every season, why not just enjoy it?

:scarfer:
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2410 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Billydinho wrote:It’s just a little bit embarrassing to get dominated by such a poor side. And it’s always us who does. Everton, Leicester, Watford and Wolves don’t go away to Brighton and cling on for an underserved point.
Actually they do. Watford and Leicester could only draw there last year. Everton and Wolves got beat.

You’re on fire today mate. Image
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1676 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Won’t be a popular opinion im sure but I think Rice has been terrible in the first 2 games. I’m putting that down to not having Noble in there with him though. As good as Wilshere looked in pre-season, He’s been very poor so far. Noble walks back into the team when fit imo.
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

Rice wasn't great, but when every other player apart from Manu and Fabz is standing around, I thought he did ok. It felt like 8 of our players were hiding in the first half. Dec was very frustrated by it all.
Denzil
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 529 likes

Post by Denzil »

When everyone said we needed that physical midfielder in the summer I didn’t really agree as I thought there was enough quality in the side. However when I saw the line up I said to my mate we look so lightweight and small, perhaps with no Haller meaning Chica added to the lack of height, but I knew we’d struggle. We were beaten to every ball and didn’t deserve a point. I’m not really sure even with Haller that we can command a game. Antonio perhaps but I do think he lacks that quality we need. I can see a lot of sides getting the rub of the green not through luck but just through presence. Noble will help but still not the answer.
Denzil
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 529 likes

Post by Denzil »

Unfortunately Kante and Leicester mean that player now costs £50m+ which the board won’t spend on a CM
Hamburger
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 449 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Cellar-door wrote: I do agree that without Anderson our attacking midfielders don't track back enough, but one issue consistently has been that we can't build out of the back. the back 6 (Fab, FBs, CBs, Rice) have been terrible at getting the ball to the front 5 in positions where they can do something with it. Far too many punts, giveaways, or leading them into a sideline trap with no exit. We can't break from defense because we can't put our AM into space. The few times we did were the goal and several of our other real chances.
Spot on CD, slow coming forward, repetitive channel play, sideways & back passes looking for non existent chances to forwards that are heavily marked because defences have plenty of time to organise. Like it has been said earlier when we defend we’re often outnumbered or at least equal and going forward it’s invariably 10 opponents to negotiate while we fanny around with sideways passes. No wonder our forwards are mostly ineffective, hardly getting a touch, and we lack shots on goal. Remember on many occasions last year Arnie tracking back frustratingly looking for the ball. Nothing’s changed.
Last edited by Hamburger on Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

richneal wrote:The gaffer's tactics of playing midgets vs Land of the Giants is interesting. How many balls did we even get close to on goal kicks? How many corners and crosses did Brighton have a free header?

Anyhow, great result for us because it was totally undeserved to nick a point. The only thing that gave us that point was Brighton's poor shooting - they must have blown at least five clear-cut chances over the bar. Most days and against most teams we won't be that lucky. Lanzini did very well for the goal, but we have to face it, we were very lucky the ball dribbled into the net after the Brighton keeper did the right thing and got a very solid hand to it.

IMHO opinion both Masuaku and Ogbonna had a mare - both made some glaring errors losing thier man and and both gave the ball away right around our own 18.

By my count we had one shot on target - we only made their keeper work once. Those are the stats that kill us - in the sense they show a profile of a team that can barely get into decent shooting positions. In most games and against most teams - when we're playing well - we need stats of between 3 - 5 shots on target for each goal we actually score. Today was a fluke and we totally got lucky.
I understand why, as he is used to operating with Latin players. They can overcome being smaller through skill. I am not sure we have enough good players in the team for this approach to be successful though.