Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 West Ham Utd (17/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Re: ⚽ Brighton & Hove Albion vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Beavis Danzig »

bristolhammerfc wrote:My ratings
Lanzini-6 Needs to do more than have a couple of jinky runs to impress. Didn't defend and played for the foul too often. Got better when Antonio came on but looks shoehorned in at times.
think you're a bit harsh there mate.

he made 15 defensive contributions, which is more than anyone else outside of the back four (including rice), the most key passes, the joint most successful dribbles and provided the assist.
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

Can anyone suggest a better defensive set up than we had (with the players that were available)?
Last edited by duncanio on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Clear MotM was our man that plays the west ham way.
Patito

Post by Patito »

duncanio wrote:Can anyone suggest a better defensive set up than we had (with the players that were available)?

Plenty already have.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Textbook run to stay onside. We don't have anyone else in the squad who can really do that regularly. Play him and he will score. Great option to still have amongst our squad that most teams should be wanting a player like him.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

wonder how the kid from Basel feels - starts every week for them (presumably) to be 3rd choice here ?

I imagine every time he checks his bank balance he feels okay, but it's gotta be tough I imagine....
Colours never run

He should bide his time and accept he's not going to automatically start ahead of a seasoned top quality Premier League Striker straight away. If he struggled to understand that, then he's either thick or ignorant. His time will eventually come.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

well I understand all that, but he went from a team playing in the CL and a top team in admittedly in a small league to being 3 man here. and when Chicharito came off yesterday didn't we go with Sanchez ?

respect the point ?
Colours never run

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:well I understand all that, but he went from a team playing in the CL and a top team in admittedly in a small league to being 3 man here. and when Chicharito came off yesterday didn't we go with Sanchez ?

respect the point ?
Exactly, you said it yourself. It shouldn't come as much surprise so early on. It was defensively we had to address drasrically, so he weren't a priority to play, especially as Hernandez was playing well.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

duncanio wrote:Can anyone suggest a better defensive set up than we had (with the players that were available)?
Fair question.

We never gave them an onside, high quality shooting opportunity inside our area in the first half yesterday.

The rash of really good chances for them came after we went 442.

If we support Hernandez (who again did not function very well as a lone striker) the trade off is leaving the defence wide open due to our inadequate central midfield options.

Haller, like Arnautovic, is going to be absolutely pivotal to how we play with this squad; giving Fabianski a percentage ball, and being enough of a target/handful on his own to allow us to leave an extra body in midfield for a bit of protection.

It was the attack, not the defence, that was dysfunctional in the first half yesterday.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I thought we were going to go with attacking football, we'll score more goals than you mentality and that respecting the point was dynosaurial....

:tune:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

bubbs

this is us:

Colours never run

Only 2 games in....

Think people should wait for the team to settle down properly, incorporating new players like Haller and Fornals before being over critical already.

I cast everyone's minds back to almost this time last year where we were mainly awful in the first 4 games we lost. I was one of the few who wasn't paying great attention to a very poor start, then ok and behold we started to pick up points, goals and performances. After about 5-10 games do you really begin to see how a team will play, not after 2 games with one of them against arguably the greatest Club side in the world right now.
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

Really think Hernandez is going to prove crucial this season coming off of the bench. Haller is the clear and obvious starter, but Hernandez has the ability to unlock tired defenses with some great runs in behind. We now have the players to recognize these runs.

Also think Ajeti can learn a lot off of him, and could look to replace him either in January (last chance to get any money for Hernandez), or towards the end of the season.

Ajeti will get his chance in the cup games, and if it seems he is ready then he will come off the bench in some premier league games. His goal this season should be to displace Hernandez as the go-to sub
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Hernandez did what he is best at, taking a chance when presented. As I said did not see the game only the brief Match of the Day stuff (which I think are the same as posted recently on you tube) so cannot comment on his overall contribution. Yes Ogbonna was poor for the offside goal but what about the alleged clearance by Arthur, Cresswell would have been murdered for that.

Also looking at the goal again on you tube the starting shape is half decent, we have a 4 not too far from each other. Thing is when the ball goes forward Fredericks, Diop and Ogbonna drop to try to deal with it while Arthur watches then half heartedly jogs back losing the attacking players and destroying what shape we had. I did not realise he was as bad as he was for it as I thought he had just pushed on up the wing as usual but he totally turned off.
Colours never run

Considering we didn't play 3 of our better defenders, we just about got by.

Johnson Balbuena Diop Cresswell

That's the backline I'd like to see before the seasons out.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Interesting blame game debate over Diop and Ogbonna.

Thought Diop was poor yesterday and it’s more a surprise to me that anyone would be surprised. It’s the Murrays and Deeneys of this world that upset Diop. And it worked yesterday for Brighton.

It’s not just the goal, which was atrocious from Diop, but then minutes later when he’s yards behind everyone else and keeps Murray onside for him to cross into the middle where Brighton should have scored again.

Diop struggles with physicality and your “old-fashioned English” centre forward approach. I’d kinda fancy him against an Henry type (to some extent) but he’d be crucified by a Shearer.

I don’t think the defensive unit, including Rice, can be at all happy with their performance. As poor as Rice has ever been on the ball too.

Lanzini is the only reason we got a point in that game, although Snodgrass’s second half performance was encouraging. Manu was playing a different game to the test of our players, he’s a level above all of them.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Gsbgsb wrote:Hernandez did what he is best at, taking a chance when presented. As I said did not see the game only the brief Match of the Day stuff (which I think are the same as posted recently on you tube) so cannot comment on his overall contribution. Yes Ogbonna was poor for the offside goal but what about the alleged clearance by Arthur, Cresswell would have been murdered for that.

Also looking at the goal again on you tube the starting shape is half decent, we have a 4 not too far from each other. Thing is when the ball goes forward Fredericks, Diop and Ogbonna drop to try to deal with it while Arthur watches then half heartedly jogs back losing the attacking players and destroying what shape we had. I did not realise he was as bad as he was for it as I thought he had just pushed on up the wing as usual but he totally turned off.
The defensive shape on the goal is awful.

Diop and Ogbonna are not in line which is why Murray has a 5-10 yard start behind Diop; it's also why he makes a hash of a basic piece of defending. He's coming at the ball from the wrong starting point.

Rice has gone across to the left where we lose a series of challenges, Masuaku being the exception, before they lump the ball forward. Our central midfield is nowhere to be seen as Trossard runs in behind them.

So, we're back to the unsigned dominant CB (Maripan) and unsigned partner for Rice probably being the remedy.

That said, we only conceded one and got a point, which is much better than our constantly dismal efforts against this lot since they came back up.

Our front 5 were much worse than the back 5 over the 90 minutes.
Sawbo
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Sawbo »

The funniest thing for me on Saturday was the melt who was sitting in the main stand nearest to us, kitted out in the full seagulls mascot costume, wings, the lot. I wouldn't have minded if he was the official mascot.
Seeing him do the w***ker sign to us was both ironic and hilarious.