The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by mumbles87 »

Denzil

Maybe haven’t cut this week lol was in good nick last week

The 3rd is a par 4! Makes it even harder!
Denzil
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 524 likes

Post by Denzil »

Sorry, meant par 4! Fat fingers. Very interesting approach shot, I drove past the tree line but to the left side of the fairway, so didn’t have much to aim at. Should’ve really played safe but ended up in the trees to the left side of the green when really the option to go for the up and down for par in hindsight was perhaps the safer play....

Will definitely play there again as I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt but it was certainly not in good condition this time
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

European Tour announces new measures to speed up play
Penalty strokes are more likely to be imposed on slow players after the announcement of new measures to speed up European Tour golf.

With slow play one of the hottest topics in the game, the Tour will impose the strongest protocols in the professional game from next season. They are designed to ensure rounds at their tournaments take less time to complete.

A four-point plan has been announced which includes giving players an immediate one-stroke penalty if they incur two bad times in a round. There will also be increased fines for golfers who consistently fall behind schedule.

The tour is also planning technological innovations to ensure players are more aware when they are playing too slowly and some tournaments will have reduced field sizes to prevent course logjams.

more...
Good.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Played at Langley Park this weekend and went round in 112 after a 105 round at Darenth Valley the week before. Going in the right direction but still duffing too many tee shots!
Johnny Byrne's Boots

What club do you take for your long tee shots?
dave_l

Post by dave_l »

Depends on the hole. On the longer holes driver, on the shorter holes a 5 wood or hybrid. I started off hitting the drives well regardless of club and then after a few holes it started to go pear shaped. Get very self conscious on the tee and I'm trying to get over that as it doesn't help.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Had my best ever round of 93 on Sunday with an hour of torrential rain to start the day as well! Proper chuffed as this will be my first official card of 3 to go in towards my handicap - heading in the right direction.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

dave, you're probably unconsciously overswinging after getting nicely warmed up and that's what's causing the inconsistency. Next time you go off the boil, make a three quarter length backswing, then on the downswing swing to a full follow through but only as hard as if you're trying to hit it half your normal distance, if that makes any sense. You'll be amazed.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Just played Finchley golf club

16 points going out

21 coming back

Including a lovely birdie

Smashed the driver .. most consistent I’ve driver ever .. every one found either fairway or just off side
dave_l

Post by dave_l »

Cheers JBB, I'll give it a go! :thup:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:dave, you're probably unconsciously overswinging after getting nicely warmed up and that's what's causing the inconsistency. Next time you go off the boil, make a three quarter length backswing, then on the downswing swing to a full follow through but only as hard as if you're trying to hit it half your normal distance, if that makes any sense. You'll be amazed.
Plus 1 for this

I started doing this few months back

My scores have dropped (or gone up depending if you go on points)
V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Played Sunday in an official club comp, pairs betterball. 44 points and 1st place, names up on a board.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

44 points is good scoring indeed, surprised you weren't presented with a sombrero :D

It must be a good feeling to look at the board and see yourself immortalised.

One of my uncles has his name on a few boards at his club. Club champion(2), scratch champion, captain and hole-in-one(2). He's still playing in his eighties.
V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:44 points is good scoring indeed, surprised you weren't presented with a sombrero :D
To be fair it was a pairs event so a combination of our best efforts. We dovetailed well, only won on countback though.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

V-M wrote:Played Sunday in an official club comp, pairs betterball. 44 points and 1st place, names up on a board.
very well played

pairs events are great fun.. especially if you dove tail well

playing tomorrow at muswell hill golf club after work.. never played it but got a 4 ball in a charity auction for £50

just taken delivery of a new bag.. nice 14 way carry waterproof bag by ogio.. looks sweeeet.. cant wait to play .. been too long
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Had our regular old codgers clinic followed by eighteen of the finest, quite chuffed to go round in nine over. Miffed at a couple of doubles, but mitigated by two birdies and draining three twenty footers :D
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

A lot of you are in good form, some great scores :thup: what does that feel like, can you remind me? :D
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

My mate won a free fourball over Ilford, which we are using tomorrow.

Never played it? Any good?
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Row X wrote:My mate won a free fourball over Ilford, which we are using tomorrow.

Never played it? Any good?
ive heard good things about it

its on my too play list

played muswell hill today 34 points

driving wasnt as good as last week but other shots were better
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

mumbles87 wrote: ive heard good things about it

its on my too play list
I thought it was a cracking little course, quite a lot of walking inbetween holes though, and some are poorly sign posted, so you had to check the map on the card quite often.

The greens were great and there was plenty of sand in the bunkers. The fairways were a bit dry and cracking up, but that was no biggy as I don't think I found them all day :lol:

The river comes in to play quite a bit and some of the holes are quite tight. Welcoming in the club house afterwards for a couple of pints. Quite strange to start and end off a round of golf by walking over the 406. Would defo go back.