West Ham Utd 2-0 Norwich City (31/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Norwich City: Match Thread

Post by SullySpecial »

5-0. Haller gets all five.
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

SullySpecial wrote:5-0. Haller gets all five.
Pessimist
Haarlemammer
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Haarlemammer »

Over for this one. The optimistic voices in my head tell me a 3-1 win with scorers (to the tune of Coldplay) being Haller, Haller, Aarons, Rice. (I’ll leave you with that little ear worm...) :scarfer:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Haarlemammer wrote: scorers (to the tune of Coldplay) being Haller, Haller, Aarons, Rice. (I’ll leave you with that little ear worm...) :scarfer:
Nice :D
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Teemu Pukki is areal threat, we need to keep an eye ( and a boot) on him and Cantwell all match.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Peaches wrote:Teemu Pukki is areal threat, we need to keep an eye ( and a boot) on him and Cantwell all match.
Actually Pukki offers no aerial threat.. :wink:
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Haarlemammer wrote:Over for this one. The optimistic voices in my head tell me a 3-1 win with scorers (to the tune of Coldplay) being Haller, Haller, Aarons, Rice. (I’ll leave you with that little ear worm...) :scarfer:
:lol:
Also going to this one. Can't beat your post for quality though so i'll just go for a ridiculous 5-4 scoreline just for the hell of it! COYI!
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

I think we're in for a ridiculous game of football. If there's not at least 5 goals I'll be shocked.

I wouldn't change our starting line up from last weekend. Though I'd be tempted to bring Balbuena in for Ogbonna.

There's going to space in behind the centre halves for both teams to exploit, I just hope our quality shines through
JustJoe85
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by JustJoe85 »

Seems they may have lost their first choice centre halves for the weekend. Granted I don't think either have played in the league yet anyway but should guarantee goals. Hopefully we get most of them.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

4-4-2 / 4-3-3
Fabianski
Fredericks Diop Ogbonna* Masuaku
Noble Rice Wilshere
Anderson Haller Lanzini

Roberto, Zabaleta, Balbuena*, Sanchez, Fornals, Snodgrass, Ajeti

* Would prefer Balbuena but think MP will go with Ogbonna again.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

wilshere wont start as he is nit up to it. on the subs bench and can come on last 20 mins if necessary. he couldn't handle Newport in the first half despite his goal at the end. second half he was good.

ogbonna was fine against Watford so would play him again maybe.

decisions for pelle
1. ogbonna or Balbuena
2. who replaces Antonio ? yarmolenko if fit enough
3. is Hernandez fit ? if not ajeti on bench

3-0 hammers win with no injuries.

COYI
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

the rice/noble/wilshere midfield 3 was apocalyptically **** last season.

same XI as against watford. hopefully the minutes he got last week have got yarmolenko up to speed.

could well be the game were oggy has his standard mare that he tends to indulge in after a few composed performances, but you can't drop him based on that.
Last edited by Beavis Danzig on Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

hammerman11 wrote:wilshere wont start as he is nit up to it. on the subs bench and can come on last 20 mins if necessary. he couldn't handle Newport in the first half despite his goal at the end. second half he was good.

ogbonna was fine against Watford so would play him again maybe.

decisions for pelle
1. ogbonna or Balbuena
2. who replaces Antonio ? yarmolenko if fit enough
3. is Hernandez fit ? if not ajeti on bench

3-0 hammers win with no injuries.

COYI
Wilshere needs to be given a run of games to get back to full fitness. He’s also a confidence player and you could see the difference in his play after he scored and was involved in the second. I wouldn’t say he “couldn’t handle” them, it’s not like he was being rinsed in the middle, but his passing was off in the first half.

I realised as soon as I posted that Yarmolenko will probably be in the squad instead of Snodgrass.
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

Beavis Danzig wrote:the rice/noble/wilshere midfield 3 was apocalyptically **** last season.

same XI as against watford. hopefully the minutes he got last week have got yarmolenko up to speed.

could well be the game were oggy has his standard mare that he tends to indulge in after a few composed performances, but you can't drop him based on that.
How often did they play together last season!?

Massive difference playing Norwich at home to Liverpool away.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

This has the makings of being a good game for the neutrals.

We have to keep an eye on that Pukki. He is a very awkward and physical striker to mark. I don't expect Pellers to change the starting 11 from Watford as we won and that is a fair argument to say don't change a winning side. But Ogbonna and Diop have been as bad as each other in the past few games they have been on the pitch. Ogbonna was poor for Gray's goal IMO and for Brighton's goal. And Diop has been very shaky so far this season. Especially against Man City and Newport on at least 2 occasions made him look a right c*nt last night.

For now I'd go with Balbuena and Diop as IMO Ogbonna is so poor I am a firm believer he drags whoever his centre half partner is down with him. But Diop is on a last chance saloon with me and one more bad performance and I'd drop him in the next game. These players need to realise we can't afford to let standards slip.

Huge blow Antonio is injured as he'd be my only other change. Not because I thought Yarmolenko was poor against Watford. But I believe to stop their fullbacks from bombing forward we need to go with pace out wide to push their fullbacks back and stop them from pushing up.

As we loaned out Diangana we either have to stick with Yarmolenko or move Anderson to the right, move Lanzini to the left and go with an additional central midfielder (Snodgrass/Wilshere). I would personally go with the latter.

My team pending on no more injuries:

-------------------------------Fabianski------------------------------

-Fredericks----------Balbuena-Diop----------Masuaku-

----------------------------------Rice---------------------------------

-------------------------Noble----------Snodgrass----------------

-Anderson-------------------Haller---------------------Lanzini-

Subs: Roberto, Johnson, Sanchez, Yarmolenko, Wilshere, Fornals, Hernandez.

Both were poor against Newport but I went with Snodders over Wilshere because Snodgrass just offers a little bit more of a balance defensively. Plus Wilshere may not be able to play 2 games a week. But still a great player to bring off the bench.

I would gamble and not have a centre half on the bench as Sanchez can always come on to play in Rice's position and Rice can then play centre half. Johnson is useful on the bench as can play both fullback positions and can of course run unlike our other back-up 2. Fornals on the bench as can play out wide, or attacking midfield. Yarmalenko for his intelligence and composure. Hernandez edges it as the chosen striker as he only seems to score against the bottom half clubs, so this is more up his street. Unless he has another tummy ache that is.....
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

IMO Diop and Balbuena play better together so I would have those as the central defensive partnership. Other than that same as Watford now Antonio is out.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

has Hernandez recovered from his "illness" ? if not ajeti on the bench.

fab
fredericks diop Balbuena masuaka
noble rice lanzini
yarmolenko haller Anderson

subs Roberto Johnson ogbonna wilshere fornals Hernandez/ajeti Snodgrass

3-0 hammers haller x 2 Anderson with the goals as we enter top 10

COYIs lets keep the feelgood factor rolling and get the bowl bouncing !
Patito

Post by Patito »

Come on, let's be havin' you!
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Whilst you’d expect us to score we’ll probably see Norwich score too. Real test of Pellegrini’s ‘we’ll score more than you’ mantra.

Suspect Pellegrini will start with the same team as Watford given comments on social media about players being ‘rested’.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Norwich are very fluid going forward so our defence will need to have a good game to keep them out. I dont expect this to be a walk in the park at all and this will be a good 3 points if we can get them. Would be great to get back to back wins early doors which is something we don't often do.

Anderson and lanzini to get off the mark. 3-2 to West Am.