CCR2: Newport County 0-2 West Ham Utd (27/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ayriron
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: ⚽ Newport County v West Ham United: FL Cup Match Thread

Post by ayriron »

[quote="hammerman11"]we are through at a cost, losing one of our best players for a long lay off.
lets hope we get a home draw and avoid the scousers and city.

a mixed bag of a performance and not that encouraging really.

Roberto - good. did well and looked the part 8
zabaleta - usual battling all action performance 7
diop - struggled against their best player but still made a few important tackles 6
Balbuena - also struggled a bit but good to see him back 7
cresswell - another poor performance. Newport players went past him at ease. poor crosses 5
sanchez - slow on the ball , some poor passes but a few good tackles. 6
wilshere - awful first half apart from late goal which came about due to his poor pass. better after the break. not up to premier standard at the moment. 7
Anderson - class above everyone else , played well within himself 7
Snodgrass - tried but was poor 5
ajeti - tried and a few useful touches, nt ready on this performance 6
Antonio - did he warm up properly ? such a shame 7
coventry - a few neat passes, big mistake nearly led to a goal. nervous. 6

Snods did'nt have his best game but no way was he the worst,
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2938 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

pezza20 wrote:Professional job against a tricky side who had seen off a few prem teams prior to us.

For those moaning we gave them 3 or 4 chances, well I think you need to find me a team who has gone away where that team hasn't had chances, I would say it is nigh on impossible.
Against a team 59 places below them in the league system ? And it was 5 clear cut chances.
pezza20 wrote: The important thing was we took two of our several good chances whilst they took n one, and that is the gulf in class.
It's one important aspect of course, but surely not the only one.
pezza20 wrote: I thought Sanchez did ok, dawdled a few times as he does but his general all round game was good.
Wilshere was the stand out for me, three of four exquisite passes, set up one and scored one.
So where was the problem Pezza, how does a team that far below us in the league system get to have so many attempts ? Teams containing better finishers that Newport would be in the hat for the next round , not us.

pezza20 wrote: Balbuena did well too. Diop for a big fella don't half get bullied too much for my liking.
On a similar wavelength there, how much do you think our backline is "benefiting" by being changed every single game, despite them all being fit ?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2938 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Oh, and I loved there being no VAR.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

I think some are over analysing. We won. We're through to the next round.
This is exactly the sort of tie that we have lost so many times in the past.
Well done the Hammers. :thup:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

BondsoBob wrote:I think some are over analysing. We won. We're through to the next round.
This is exactly the sort of tie that we have lost so many times in the past.
Well done the Hammers. :thup:
Indeed.

Horrible games, they either roll over and get spanked or up their game big time and make it extremely difficult for you, there is no middle ground.

We struggle early on, rode our luck at times, but we remained patient and our quality shone through.
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by MadMart »

Thought Wilshere stunk the place out with so many miss placed passes - not good enough mate
JustJoe85
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by JustJoe85 »

Also worth remembering their cup results at home in the last couple of years include:

18/19
2-1 Leicester
2-0 Middlesbrough
1-4 Man City

17/18
2-1 Leeds
1-1 Tottenham

It would be myth to suggest they don't create chances against better sides.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

A few too many chances given up to such a low level team for me. We still need to improve at the back.

Fairly clinical going forward. We should have had more, but then no idea how they didnt score.

A win is a win, sometimes you have to ride your luck in these types of matches.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

First things first and most importantly a win and we are in the pot for the next round!

I thought we were pretty dire until Wilshere got his goal, we couldn't pick a pass and seemed scared to run at them or have a shot. I thought Wilshere played ok and Anderson, like he did against Wimbledon last year, showed that he is a class above. Ajeti anonymous, Sanchez scares me every time he has the ball, Cresswell poor and Fornals non-existent.

Weird place Newport, some nice bits down by the riverside but go away from the stadium out the other side and it was a bit of a dive. Still, new ground, into the next round and back home in just over an hour! :scarfer:
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

won the game , and had our plan b go to player injured for 4 + weeks at least , lets hope our back 4 are sharper than they were last night
rudekid
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by rudekid »

I think this was a good result given how poor we normally are against lower league oppo in these competitions. Newport had chances but didn't really compete. I can't remember the last time West Ham have had 73% possession and Newport couldn't get near us. A clear indication of the progress under Pelle.

Anderson looked class with some lovely balls for Cress down the left. Sanchez and Coventry got a run out to give them a bit of confidence. Roberto looked alright and made some decent stops. Ajeti got a taste of english football and needs a lot more time, he got in the right places but seemed to lack the physical presence needed to convert that to chances... Most importantly though, Fornals and Wilshere got their first goals. An encouraging performance from Wilshere and I think he might have a real impact for us this season if he can stay fit.
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

My thoughts,

Sanchez was excellent last night, Cresswell is painfully slow and its showing more and more, Fornals is gonna be some player.
:crest:
WienIron

Post by WienIron »

I thought we did quite well.

Newport rolled the dice and came at us in the first 30 mins. As was to be expected with the cameras and home crowd geeing them up for an upset. Unfortunately, our defence (particularly Diop) didn't seem comfortable and they created a few decent chances. I usually think our defensive frailties stem from the midfield, but no excuses for the defence last night, they didn't cope well when tested against a bit of rough and tumble 4th tier opposition.

On the positive side, I thought Sanchez looked good positionally and tidy in possession. I can see this fitting in nicely with the Pelle approach, and believe he's a more than able deputy to Rice. Fornals looked a bit better and the goal will do him some good. Wilshere transformed after his goal to the player we know is in there somewhere. Unfortunately many of our attacks broke down around the Snodgrass Bermuda triangle.

In general, our style of play prevailed, with Newport noticeably tiring in the second half. Same thing happened against Watford (and to a much lesser extent, Brighton, where we ended stronger). I can see a pattern emerging where teams come at us to start, we ride our luck a bit, but ultimately trust our technical and offensive superiority to win games over the 90.

If we had better full backs going forward we could have won by 4 or more. Even defensively, I don't rate Cresswell. On a couple of occasions he made their right winger look like Andrei Kanchelskis.

Ajeti looks more like a Hernandez replacement than a Haller back up.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

I thought we were absolutely shocking to be honest, and should have been 2-0 down.

Glad to see the two goal scorers get their first goals for the club though. Hopefully that will spark them on a bit.

At least we're in the next round, but we certainly need to buck our ideas up when we play these lower league sides.

A PL side claiming to have aspirations for Europe should be thumping teams like Newport. If our supposed 2nd 11 isn't good enough to do that, then they really are not good enough full stop.

Hopefully we'll scrape through the next round and this 2nd 11 can get a little run going once they get used to each other, but right now they looked like they'd never even met each other before.
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

The way MP wants to play, we'll always let teams have chances unfortunately. As long as we we're putting away ours I'm not massively bothered. My main gripe is the sloppiness in possession when we're attacking/trying to transition.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

-DL- wrote:
A PL side claiming to have aspirations for Europe should be thumping teams like Newport. If our supposed 2nd 11 isn't good enough to do that, then they really are not good enough full stop.

Perhaps someone should have told Man City ,Spurs and Leicester City who have all struggled there over the last couple of seasons.
WienIron

Post by WienIron »

Carlton'sGoal wrote:The way MP wants to play, we'll always let teams have chances unfortunately. As long as we we're putting away ours I'm not massively bothered. My main gripe is the sloppiness in possession when we're attacking/trying to transition.
Agree with this. We really began to take control when we cut out a lot of the sloppiness in possession (i.e. Wilshere re-learnt the ability to pass)
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Newport had some attacking impetus in the first half as you would expect. Lower division teams at home always settle quickly in these types games but to say they had five clear cut chances is over egging it in my opinion.

I can remember the really poor miss from the Diop mistake which Roberto saved, and the one at the end from the Coventry mistake but what were the others? There may have been one early doors but can't remember.

We did have five of what I expect to be our back six (including GK) vs Norwich not playing, so wad always going to be fairly haphazard back there , not helped by some poor individual performances from Diop, Balbuena and Cresswell.

Overall, not a bad performance IMHO against a side who are known for being extremely solid, organised and hardworking and who are in a confident mindset.

Biggest incident, unfortunately, was the Antonio injury. Having ruptured my hamstring before, which required surgery, he won't be back on the pitch till 2020 in my opinion which is a huge huge shame for us, and more importantly him. He might not get back to his current level again after another big injury on that hamstring. I am really gutted for him as I reckon he had an outside chance of getting back in the England reckoning prior to the Euros
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

MadMart wrote:Thought Wilshere stunk the place out with so many miss placed passes - not good enough mate
Scored the first, created the second, and put Formals through one-on-one with a defence-splitting pass.

He wasn't outstanding by any means, but think he was a class above as the game wore on.
steviob125
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by steviob125 »

Interesting to read some of the player reviews on here... I think some are harsh on Cress, Sanchez etc

Here is my take on the game..

Roberto - I thought he had a very good game. Had to deal with some tricky balls into the box (why did we keep giving away FKs!!) and made some very good reactionary saves. Dare I say he looked more composed than Adrian :o

Zaba - For me the game seemed to pass him by. Of course he battled and ran (as to be expected from a model pro) but I think I would have preferred to see the young lad start

Bal - Did what was necessary I suppose, but I do think his lack of positioning and spacial awareness is a concern on a) crosses into the box and b) when the opposing teams get 'in behind'

Diop - Had a battle on his hands from the first minute, but dealt with pretty much everything that was thrown at him

Cress - Similar to Zaba really, he looked ok on the ball and tried to whip in a few crosses. I think Newport did well to nullify our WB's. Game seemed to pass him by slightly but I certainly don't think he had a poor game

Sanchez - I thought he did well to be honest :? If Rice had had a similar game we would have all been saying "another good performance from the lad". Protected the defence and constantly got on the ball quite high up the pitch

Wilshere - Tried, not everything came off for him. Would have liked to have seen more from him given the oppo. Got his goal

Fornals - Made his goal for himself by quickly tracking back when it seemed we were about to lose the ball high up the pitch. Won it back again and within a few seconds was putting the ball into the back of the net. Similar to Wilshere in that he tried to be intricate without much coming off

Snods - Had a poor game really. Kept going and going and always tried to do the right thing but nothing was coming off for him. Could see he was getting frustrated with himself.

Anderson - Did ok, got an assist and generally plugged away

Ajeti - Didn't get great service but I thought his joining up play was better than Hernandezeses'. He is not a 'target man' in the same way as Haller is. Closed everything down. Got into good positions but nothing fell for him. Should have done better with 1 or 2 headers