Hammers on Loan 2019/20

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Re: Hammers on Loan 2019/20

Post by sanchoz » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:27 am

Crazy Attack - 27 (!) Passes and goals
STOCKHOLM / Norrköping. 27 matches in a row - before Kalle Holmberg struck.

The dream gave IFK Norrköping the victory against Helsingborg.

- I haven't been to a better IFK Norrköping, says Simon Thern.

IFK Norrköping has not given up the fight for European places.

A dream attack by gave the home team the lead against a defiant Helsingborg, whose coach Henrik Larsson dropped off earlier this week.

The attack was built on its own half and lasted for almost a minute where Simon Thern played twice and everything ended with Gudmundur Thorarinsson playing in the penalty area where Kalle Holmberg placed 1-0.

- I found a good surface when their backline drops down a little. That was fine, Holmberg tells C More.

IFK Norrköping drove over Helsingborg
The goal was Holmberg's third in just a week.

- I get to play a little more and get more confidence than I got so far this season. It's fun, he says.

At stoppage time in the first half, Simon Thern had room to turn up just outside the penalty area and finish to 2-0 - his second goal in the Allsvenskan for the season.

At the end of the second half, the numbers ran away.

Sead Haksabanovic put 3-0 in the 79th minute, before fixing a penalty that Lars Krogh Gerson managed to score 4-0.

Shortly thereafter, Rasmus Lauritsen nodded 5-0 for IFK Norrköping, which was also the final result. After the match, coach Jens Gustafsson was pleased.

- Right now, IFK Norrköping is very good. We come from a tough match period and we have grown as a team. We play at a high tempo and our first half shows it. We have long attacks and can quickly attack. We have a period in the second half that is so there, you have that in matches, which you have to accept. Five different goal scorers and we can keep zero again, we are happy with that. I am incredibly pleased with the players, he says.
https://www.expressen.se/sport/fotboll/ ... r-och-mal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Derby County 1 West Brom 1 - Report and pictures
Just like the midweek home match with Reading, it took a late Kenneth Zohore penalty for Albion to rescue a point from another game where officiating was put in the spotlight.
Bilic made three changes to the team that drew with Reading, returning to the same line-up that won Albion's first two away games of the season.

Zohore, Nathan Ferguson and Kyle Edwards were all restored to the line-up while Charlie Austin, Darnell Furlong and Grady Diangana dropped to the bench.
Bilic made the same change at half-time as he did at Kenilworth Road, replacing Edwards with Grady Diangana.
Johnstone saved a volley from Waghorn shortly after before Diangana finally drew Roos into a save low down to his left, trying to repeat his long-range trick from Luton.
Albion still wanted to win it, and they grabbed the ball from the back of the net.

Moments after, Diangana breezed past Richard Keogh on the byline before pulling the ball back to Jake Livermore, but it was slightly behind him, and his shot from close range was deflected over the bar.
Teams

Albion (4-2-3-1): Johnstone; Ferguson, Ajayi, Bartley, Gibbs (Furlong 20); Sawyers, Livermore (c); Phillips (Pereira 71), Krovinovic, Edwards (Diangana 45); Zohore.

Unused subs: Bond, Brunt, Austin, O'Shea.
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... -pictures/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Derby County 1 West Brom 1 – Player ratings
Grady Diangana (Edwards 45)

Provided a bit of spark, and tested Roos from range before setting up a great chance for Livermore. 6
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... r-ratings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:32 am

Report: Charlton 1 Brentford 0

Conor Gallagher’s third goal in five appearances led Charlton to a 1-0 victory over London rivals Brentford on Saturday afternoon.
Teams

Charlton: Phillips, Purrington, Lockyer, Pearce, Oshilaja (Lapslie 33’) , Pratley, Cullen, Gallagher, Williams (Field 81’) , Leko (Hemed 45), Taylor.

Subs:Amos, Bonne, Sarr, Oztumer.
https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/178 ... entford-0/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Player Ratings: Charlton 1 Brentford 0 - who's a different player?

Josh Cullen 7

Charlton’s metronome came up against two smooth operators in Christian Norgaard and Mathias Jensen, but stood up to them physically showing a different side to his game. A vital player for the Addicks and more or less ran the midfield when Pratley dropped back to defence.
https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/178 ... nt-player/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:36 am

Championship: QPR 3 Wigan Athletic 1
QPR came from behind to beat Wigan and clinch their first home league win under boss Mark Warburton.

Cedric Kipre's first goal for Latics put them ahead after just two minutes at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

But Nahki Wells equalised early in the second half, Ebere Eze netted with a free-kick just after the hour and Jordan Hugill sealed the win with nine minutes remaining.
Hugill was guilty of an astonishing miss shortly after coming on as a substitute. Wells did well on the left to tee-up the on-loan West Ham striker, who was unmarked a couple of yards from a gaping goal yet contrived to lift the ball over the crossbar.

But Hugill made amends by collecting Eze's pass and side-footing beyond Marshall and in off the far post.
QPR: Lumley, Rangel, Hall, Barbet, Manning, Scowen (Leistner 46), Ball (Smith 71), Eze, Chair, Pugh (Hugill 68), Wells. Unused subs: Kane, Osayi-Samuel, Owens, Kelly.
https://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/fo ... -1-6234592" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

QPR boss Warburton praises Hugill following win over Wigan
QPR boss Mark Warburton praised Jordan Hugill for keeping his composure and scoring soon after an astonising miss in their 3-1 win over Wigan Athletic.

Moments after coming on as a substitute, Hugill was teed up by Nakhi Wells and contrived to lift the ball over from a couple of yards out.

But the on-loan West Ham striker made amends with a cool finish for Rangers' third goal.

Warburton said: "All credit to him. What I loved about it was his reaction - it didn't bother him and then he scores a goal.

"He wanted a goal. All strikers are selfish - he could have passed to (Ebere) Eze - and want to score goals. That's what makes them a special breed."

Warburton was less impressed with his side's missed chances and the early lapse which led to them going behind.

Cedric Kipre put the visitors ahead after only two minutes at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

But Rangers hit back with second-half goals from Wells, Eze and Hugill and Warburton added: "We conceded a stupid soft goal less than two minutes in, so all your planning and all your work all week goes out the window.

"We spoke about being on the front foot, but we weren't. They were more aggressive and were the better team.

"We had to respond, move the ball quicker and do everything we're good at. All credit to the players, they did that.

"The only frustration, and I say this with all respect to Wigan, was that we should have had three or four more.

"There will be games when you have the odd chance and we have to take it. We've been guilty in the previous four games of not taking chances.

"So it's a problem we've got to look at - 3-1 is great, enjoy the win, but we need to get better."
https://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/fo ... -1-6234677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1:05 onwards:

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BGUhbC55hHs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:57 am

Afolayan has joined Mansfield on loan.
Last edited by thejackhammer on Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:09 am

Mansfield Town bolster strikeforce with hot West Ham prospect Dapo Afolayan on loan

Mansfield Town have fought off competition from other clubs to land exciting forward Dapo Afolayan on a half-season loan from Premier League side West Ham United.

The injury-hit Stags have had nine first teamers out recently and with the summer transfer deadline ahead on Monday have managed to get this deal over the line while hoping to also bring in a defender.

Afolayan, 21, joined the Hammers on transfer deadline day from National League side Solihull Moors in January 2018 and Dempster said: “I am really pleased to get it over the line. Dapo will be coming in on loan until January.

“He is someone who will bring something different to the team We’ve done a lot of research on him.

“He is a good character and is someone who wants to play football and score goals. He will certainly add to our squad.”

Dempster continued: “He had some success at Solihull and then got a move to West Ham. They paid money for him.

“But it hasn’t quite worked out for him at West Ham. As you can imagine, it’s a Premier League club and very difficult to progress into the first team there.

“So when the opportunity came up for loan until January we were in the race for him with some other clubs and really pleased to get him on board.

“He is full of energy, someone who will run in behind and stretch teams, and someone who will bring a lot of value to the squad.”

Dempster has no hesitation in pitching him into the squad at Exeter this weekend.

He said: “We had him watched on Friday and he performed very well.

“So he is match fit, though we know U23 games can be slightly different to League Two games - we’re not stupid.

“But he is a fit boy and a good professional, so he will be ready to go.”

A quick, direct centre forward, Afolayan spent six years in Chelsea’s academy as a youngster, before moving to Canada with his family aged 15.

The striker then trained with Toronto FC academy, making appearances for the MLS club’s reserve team.

Upon his return to England, he enrolled onto a civil engineering course at Loughborough University, before signing permanently for Solihull Moors in January 2017.

Afolayan scored on his debut for the Moors in a 3-0 home win over Sutton United, netting 11 goals in 30 National League appearances that season.

The striker scored a total of 16 goals in 38 matches during his time in the West Midlands.

He then moved to Premier League West Ham on a three-and-a-half-year contract for an undisclosed fee in 2018, appearing in Hammers’ colours for the first time in their Premier League 2 Division One encounter with Sunderland just five days after joining the club.

Last season, Afolayan gained experience at League Two level on a half-season loan at Oldham, going on to make 10 league appearances for the Latics.
https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... -1-9963868" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sanchoz

Post by sanchoz » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:12 am

Mansfield Town loan striker Dapo Afolayan impressed with Stags’ set-up after West Ham United switch
New Mansfield Town loan striker Dapo Afolayan enjoyed seeing one familiar face as he joined in his first training session with the Stags.

Afolayan, who signed from Premier League West Ham United on a half-season loan on Thursday, trained with the Stags earlier in the day at The RH Academy.

Among those training with him was midfielder Omari Sterling-James, who was with Afolayan at National League Solihull Moors in 2017.

The striker, who was signed by the Hammers from Solihull last year and has since been on loan at Oldham Athletic, said: “I’ve known Omari for a few years, we played together at my previous club.

“Knowing he was here, I knew it would be all right for me to come and I’d settle in quite well.

“I feel like it [Solihull] was the best time of my career so far. I want to get back to hitting that form again. I feel that I need to be in an environment like this where I can maximise my potential.

“Coming into men’s football and being a bit of an unknown identity helped me out (at Solihull). I’ve gone away and worked. I feel like I’m a much better player now and it’s prepared me for the future.”

Afolayan said he was match fit and ready to be plunged straight into action for the injury-hit Stags if selected.

“I played three games last week and I’ve been playing week-in, week-out,” he continued.

“I want to hit the ground running and get as many goals as I can and help the club push on.”

Talking of his time at Oldham in League Two, the striker added: “The experience I learned from playing in the games was good and it was good to be in and around League Two. Any game I played in I did quite well.

“It’s a tough league to play in, but I felt that I did quite well, aside from missing out on a few opportunities.”

Afolayan described himself as a quick and direct striker who worked hard for the team and “pressed everything”. “I will run into channels and when I get the ball at my feet I will express myself and hopefully provide goals and assist,” he said.

He added that he usually played better with a strike partner who he could work-off, but he was happy to play the role of a lone forward up top too.

The former England C man, who netted 16 goals in 38 games for Solihull, said the move to One Call Stadium was “an opportunity to get my name out there again” and he wanted to get as many goals as he could and lift the Stags upwards.

He said the move was an opportunity to show the Stags’ supporters “what I am all about.”

The training facilities at The RH Academy impressed the Premier League signing – as did his new teammates.

“There was a lot of high quality on show and all of the boys were working really hard,” he continued.

“It {The RH Academy} is lovely. This is a very good setup and I was very impressed when I drove in.

“They are all good boys and they’ve got to know me quite well. I’m happy to be here.

“Even from the first possession drill we did, the intensity was high and the quality was good. Everyone was on it. It’s just about driving that quality every day.”
https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... -1-9964591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

prophet:marginal
Location: Boleyn Ground, Westham United Football Club, Green St, Upton Park, London E13 9AZ

Post by prophet:marginal » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:58 pm

Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:38 pm

Hugill's on fire at the moment, 5 in 6 I think that is?

PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:33 pm

Look out for Diangana’s goal for WBA today. Wow! Great finish!

LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:42 pm

PlaistowIron wrote:Look out for Diangana’s goal for WBA today. Wow! Great finish!
Highlights: https://www.skysports.com/football/w-br ... ort/409418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

prophet:marginal
Location: Boleyn Ground, Westham United Football Club, Green St, Upton Park, London E13 9AZ

Post by prophet:marginal » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:51 pm

PlaistowIron wrote:Look out for Diangana’s goal for WBA today. Wow! Great finish!
Sensational

hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:52 pm

Quality finish from Diangana. Seems to be really gaining confidence. :thup:

bubbles1966
Location: Mama don't like it, way I comb my hair, Papa thinks I'm crazy, clothes I wear....

Post by bubbles1966 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:06 pm

Fabulous goal - he'll come back stronger. He was getting into better goalscoring positions in preseason.

As an aside, Matt Phillips is good enough to get a gig in the top flight.

LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:24 pm

Today's Fixtures:

Nathan Trott

Nathan kept his first professional clean sheet as Wimbledon drew 0-0 with Wycombe.

MATCH REPORT:
"In a first half devoid of any quality, Wycombe's Scott Kashket's shot straight at Nathan Trott was the best chance"
"Then Nathan Trott failed to collect a corner, but Scott Kashket was unable to take advantage."
"Nick Freeman forced a good low save from Trott, with Akinfenwa poking home from an offside position."

LIVE TWEETS:

15- Scott Kashket tries his luck from range but Trott gets down well and saves comfortably

Next Match: Sat 7th September vs MK Dons (a)

Jordan Hugill

Jordan scored twice as QPR came from behind to win 2-1 at Sheffield Wednesday. He was booked in the first half for some handbags.

MATCH REPORT:
"It took the visitors until the hour mark to get back into the game, when Hugill was set away by a perfect through ball from Nakhi Wells, and rounded Keiren Westwood before slotting in."
"The striker added his second just four minutes later when Ryan Manning whipped the ball in and Hugill diverted into the net."
"Rangers, to their credit, did not buckle following Fletcher's penalty and through Hugill and the busy Nakhi Wells, who had two efforts well saved by Westwood, they had an attacking threat."
"Following his loan move from West Ham, Hugill now has five goals in his first six league games for the R's, who are eighth in the table."

LIVE TWEETS:
6' Great early pressing by Hugill, not giving the defenders any time on the ball.
16' Hugill has started well here. Wins another freekick after some great hold-up play.
24' Hugill and Bannan get involved in a heated exchange which the referee is working to calm down. Both players booked.
30' QPR have a penalty appeal of their own as Hugill goes to ground at the far post but nothing doing from the referee.
60' 1-1! Great finish by Hugill! Perfect pass by Wells, and Hugill rounds Westwood before slotting home!
64' HE'S DONE IT AGAIN! What a great, flowing team move that was, with Manning eventually sliding the ball across the face of goal for Hugill to net his second!

Next Match: Sat 14th September vs Luton (h)

Josh Cullen

Josh played as unbeaten Charlton move back into second place with a 2-0 win at Reading.

no live text or match report mentions for Josh.

Next Match: Sat 14th September vs Birmingham (h)

Grady Diangana

Grady played 77 minutes and scored the winning goal as WBA beat Blackburn 3-2.

MATCH REPORT:
"The dangerous Grady Diangana put pressure on Rovers’ defence and won possession near the half-way line, holding off all sorts of challenges from a defender to get inside the area and delightfully dink the onrushing goalkeeper."

THE THOUGHTS OF NIGEL QUASHIE:
"What a game that was this afternoon. Phillips, Diangana were excellent but this man Pereira is a wonderful footballer with and without the ball. The season is looking really positive with all the new signings"

LIVE TWEETS:

17' Walton is tested for the first time as he saves Diangana's long-ranger.
40' Wow, wow, wow! Grady wins the ball, holds off a defender trying to foul him, and then delightfully dinks it over Walton. Brilliant goal!
77' Diangana is given a standing ovation as he makes way for Krovinović.

Next Match: Sat 14th September vs Fulham (a)

Dapo Afolayan

unused sub

Next Match: Sat 7th September vs Scunthorpe (h)

OP UPDATED
Last edited by LeonRivers on Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:58 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:Fabulous goal - he'll come back stronger. He was getting into better goalscoring positions in preseason.
This kid is the truth. Better pure technique than Sterling at that age.

I really hope we’ve got him tied down.

LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:34 pm

Morocco Mole wrote: I really hope we’ve got him tied down.
He's got a looooong contract. 6 years or so, IIRC.

Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:43 am

Even in that highlights video, fantastic goal aside, he was absolutely everywhere in every attacking play, in the right places bearing down on goal. Really encouraging to see.

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:11 am

This loan spell will be the making of him. Always felt last season he didn't quite have the confidence in the final third although he was good on the ball.

He'll come back to us confident, in form and probably more physically ready.

Starts for us next season.

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:14 am

Does anyone know how Trott is getting on. Its difficult to judge goalkeepers on loan, might have to get on a Wimbledon forum.

PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:05 am

Love this thread, keep up the good work Leon.

Great to see that our loan stars are doing well so far :thup: