West Ham Utd 2-0 Norwich City (31/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Norwich City: Match Thread

Post by S-H »

That dive of his, trying to get a pen, was pathetic.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

fredericks was ok today to be fair to him but does cause concernespecially against better teams. has pace so can recover. needs a run in the team and for pelle to sort him out. he is more of a worry than masuaka now ! zabaleta iis too slow for most games and ben Johnson too young maybe .
I hope fred sorts himself out as pace at the back is what you need. we have two pacey fullbacks which is unusual for us. Just need to get them to defend properly . They are getting better though so fingers crossed the penny is dropping !
same back 4 starts for me at villa and man utd games
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

The cheek of Farke to criticise VAR forgetting that Haller should have been given a clear penalty :lol:
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

We’re going to absolutely smash someone sooner or later if everyone stays fit.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

With Fredericks, it looked to me that he was easily getting into the right positions, but that Norwich then defended well his crosses.

He's doing half his job very well. I don't think transfer sensation Wann-Bissaka has assisted a goal yet, either.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

hammer1975 wrote:We’re going to absolutely smash someone sooner or later if everyone stays fit.

… and we are more clinical in front of goal
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

prophet:marginal wrote:With Fredericks, it looked to me that he was easily getting into the right positions, but that Norwich then defended well his crosses.

He's doing half his job very well. I don't think transfer sensation Wann-Bissaka has assisted a goal yet, either.
Thought I was watching a different game seeing some of the comments on here about Fredricks, glad someone else has called it as I’d seen it
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Fredericks use of the ball is questionable, you can see why the manager may have been reluctant to have him and Antonio as a pair down a flank
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

prophet:marginal wrote:With Fredericks, it looked to me that he was easily getting into the right positions, but that Norwich then defended well his crosses.

It's not hard to defend his crosses because he does the same thing every single time which is just hit it low and hard straight at the person on the front post. :lol:
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 493 likes

Post by Denzil »

Lovely to see us play two dominant halves. I can’t remember the last time we put together 90 mins of football where we look like the team on top (okay, minus the first 10 but neither side had their foot on the ball there).

Was always worried that we could never see games out. Based on yesterday’s performance I think we’ll beat the teams we should be, give the teams around us a good game and get beaten by the better sides, which I will take all day long and is something we’ve never had. We can give the top 7 a good go like that.
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3157 likes
Total likes: 2514 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

I was certain at the time that Yarmalenko’s first fall in the penalty area was a penalty. Think it was around the 20th minute.

Lots of people around me saying Yarmalenko was playing badly... until he scored. When you consider that he, Lanzini, Wilshire etc etc had such long lay offs last season, you’d hope they will get better as the season goes on. Think he did fairly well personally.

We started a bit too slowly for my liking yesterday and I’d like us to really come out of the traps against Man Utd. Give them something to panic about straight away.
hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 »

Wilko1304 wrote:Fredericks use of the ball is questionable, you can see why the manager may have been reluctant to have him and Antonio as a pair down a flank
Think he’s very much a confidence player. He got better as the game went on - was our shakiest player first 15 and wasn’t on his toes for 2 or 3 passes that he should have got to in that spell. Once we were a couple up he was decent enough and once he learns how to beat the first man he’ll get a few assists.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

EastleighHammer16 wrote:It's not hard to defend his crosses because he does the same thing every single time which is just hit it low and hard straight at the person on the front post. :lol:
To be honest, I think that's a tactical thing. I recall an interview with Zabaleta a year or so back, when he made it clear that the thinking behind his overlaps was to make efforts to pass to feet, once he had the chance, and not to cross it up in the air, making the keeper's chance of getting hold of it much less likely.

I was reminded of that yesterday; I think Pellegrini is looking for a mixture from the flanks and its not as simple as Fredericks getting into the right position and then failing (like I would!) to get the ball off the floor.

Anyway; he's started every game and we've slowly but surely become more threatening down his flank.

If we get both sides orchestrating decent deliveries, Haller will be in dreamland!
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Farke, stop moaning you TWAT! That was liquid football!
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1193 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Would love to hear from a few more who went yesterday their first impressions on what calibre of striker we have on our hands with Haller. Similar pedigree to Kanoute, potentially better?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I’d say he’s the best striker we’ve had - better than Ashton.
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

Exciting times :thup:
hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 »

ironilunga wrote:Would love to hear from a few more who went yesterday their first impressions on what calibre of striker we have on our hands with Haller. Similar pedigree to Kanoute, potentially better?
Don’t think he lost a challenge until mid-way in second half
Lot of people used to say that Carroll had ‘good feet for a big man’ - they never saw Haller play
Always available, dropped deep and pushed up at times. Covered Yarmo on the right a few times.
Came out with the ball a few times when you didn’t expect him to.
Played with swagger - crowd appreciated him (decent cheer when his name was read out pre-game) and he chatted to Lanzini, Anderson and Masuaku repeatedly at breaks in play.

Kanoute was a pure striker imo, Ashton dropped to link stuff up and was intelligent about it - can see both elements in Haller tbh. Looks a great buy. We need to match his ambition if we want to keep him.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

ironilunga wrote:Would love to hear from a few more who went yesterday their first impressions on what calibre of striker we have on our hands with Haller. Similar pedigree to Kanoute, potentially better?
I don't see a huge amount of likeness with Kanoute other than physical appearance. Kanoute had a languid style and a terrific burst of pace for getting behind defenders. Haller is very strong and hard-working, and more of an all-rounder. He's a similar sort of striker to Kane I think in terms of style (althouth I'm not saying he will score as much as Kane).

Probably closest comparison I can see in terms of our recent strikers is Ashton.
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

Thanks chaps :thup: