West Ham Utd 2-0 Norwich City (31/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Norwich City: Match Thread

Post by steveyrockstar »

Some fairly harsh comments on Fredericks. I like Fred. He has phenomenal pace and he had some very good moments yesterday, a real attacking threat. He just needs to improve his delivery and iron out some of the mistakes. As someone else said, I think he's a confidence player. Needs an extended run in the side.

I thought everyone gave 7/8 performances yesterday.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

It’s Fredericks turn apparently
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Fredericks is fine. Rapid and gets up and down all day.

As for his crossing.....anyone would think the alternative was David Beckham. Dear old Zabs is where attacks go to die god bless him.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Kialos wrote:Farke embarrassed himself. His team were comprehensively outplayed for the majority of the game. Petulant whining at best. Either say something intelligent or shut up.
I thought his comments were hilarious. Yes Haller caught their defender and yes he may have injured him, though he had kenisis tape all over his knee before that, but it was at most a booking of a challenge. If he wasn't fit to continue it is the managers responsibility to take him off, he didn't and to be fair for our first I couldn't see any real awkwardness in his running. The suggestion that Yarmalenko elbowed his player in the face... I mean there's clutching at straws and then there's fabrication.
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Something Fredericks does do well is play the ‘sweeper’ type role when we are being countered.

A couple of times yesterday he got us out of danger using his pure pace. With someone slower sitting back, as in Zaba last season at times, we’d have been wide open for a an attack.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I’m just happy we have two fast fullbacks.

A rare occurrence.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look at Haller's reaction after Felipe's first nutmeg. :lol:
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

EastleighHammer16 wrote:
Look at Haller's reaction after Felipe's first nutmeg. :lol:
:D
Good spot.

Those clips are a joy to behold.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Full match.

http://fullmatchsports.com/west-ham-uni ... ighlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Gary, Proph. :thup:
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

mental that with his back to goal on the halfway line and surrounded by three players, felipe pulls off an inch perfect pivot nutmeg throughball.

Post by 21212 »

Fredericks is all endeavour and pace.....but has no quality on the ball whatsoever. Needs upgrading ASAP, but with what we have, he has to be the starter.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

Really enjoyed the game!
Great atmosphere, very good game!!!
:scarfer: :-)
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

ironilunga wrote:Would love to hear from a few more who went yesterday their first impressions on what calibre of striker we have on our hands with Haller
I like him. Lots.

Good movement, hard working and knows where to be at the right moment.

We paid top dollar, but we've bought the real goods.

Generally yesterday I really enjoyed watching us, wouldn't pick too many faults, and illustrated a real gulf in class between the two sides.

Norwich were nice to watch, but nailed on certs for the drop.No steel, no dark arts.
bspur1

Post by bspur1 »

Graza wrote:[
I thought his comments were hilarious. Yes Haller caught their defender and yes he may have injured him, though he had kenisis tape all over his knee before that, but it was at most a booking of a challenge. If he wasn't fit to continue it is the managers responsibility to take him off, he didn't and to be fair for our first I couldn't see any real awkwardness in his running. The suggestion that Yarmalenko elbowed his player in the face... I mean there's clutching at straws and then there's fabrication.
100% spot on ,
monkeyhanger
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by monkeyhanger »

Anderson was a joy to watch yesterday. Haller is a great signing and could be a goal machine for us this season if he stays fit. These players coupled with Lanzini bring real flair to the team.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Unbelievable match report in the 'Sunday Mirror'. Fully 90% of the 'report' is about Farke banging on about how hard done by they were. He complains about VAR not being used on Hallers tackle on Zimmerman but doesn't even mention the penalty incident. Real sour grapes. :asleep:
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

e17 wrote:It’s Fredericks turn apparently
He’s open to criticism as anyone should be, and it’s somewhat of a comfort that it’s his crossing and passing that is being (fairly) questioned. Means he’s doing his most important job, at least: he’s defending well.

He has areas to improve upon. In my own notes I write as I watch for match reports, I mentioned him individually for poor control of possession and also for using his pace not only down his flank, but to cover for others and get round the back of other defenders when they are struggling.

Considering the ridiculous way people go after Noble, Cresswell and Ogbonna for any fault they want, Fredericks is doing alright on here!

Edit: I should add that I also think he deserves time to improve, both because this is four games in and because he’s had spells in and out of the team whilst making a step up from in leagues and a move of clubs. He has till the end of the season to make it his own, as far as I’m concerned.
Last edited by Wilko1304 on Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

That was as close to a full 90 minutes of good football from us, not just for 1 half of a game which we are capable of. That's what impressed me and what I want to see a bit more of when possible. The League is so hard most of the time it's not easy to put in back to back decent halves, but we did manage it yesterday.

Looking back to the Brighton game we were also find Roy consistent in that too, trying to play good football like today, although not everything coming off as it seemed to yesterday. And I also recall the first half against Man City being very good too, before the wheels flew off as the 2nd half progressed which was no shock against City. In the round, we aren't playing badly and are trying to play exciting, attacking football. This IS what we all asked for.